Forums

Topic: Mario's Downgrade

Posts 101 to 120 of 144

kkslider5552000

Bronze wrote:

@kkslider I honestly can't blame nintendo for that. Like I said before, I think they are starting to run out of ideas for mario...So it would not be too surprising if the games continue to go backwards or whatever...

The thing is, I don't think it's that difficult. It's difficult to make it good (maybe not for Nintendo specifically but for gaming making in general it is) but literally all I ask is a single, really good new gameplay mechanic that is HEAVILY focused on in a Mario platforming type game. One of the reasons I think 3D World is working out pretty well is because it's not doing that but at least it has a bunch of new ideas that are a bit different to keep things interesting. I've said before that while 3D World likely won't be the best Mario game or anything but that it would have no issue if it wasn't for every game in the past 2-3 years before this (Dark Moon aside) being underwhelming and too nostalgia obsessed.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Mansa

Nintendo should work on a grand mario game that would take way more time to make. Get their graphics, their plots, and mario's clever tricks. Not even confirming it until they feel it is perfect!

Like they did with LoZ wii u or SSB:3ds/wii u u_u

Mansa

Nintendo Network ID: Bronze

TheLilK98

Bronze wrote:

Nintendo should work on a grand mario game that would take way more time to make. Get their graphics, their plots, and mario's clever tricks. Not even confirming it until they feel it is perfect!

Like they did with LoZ wii u or SSB:3ds/wii u u_u

That'd be a much better use of time.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter:

Socar

The thing is, Nintendo tries to make new things with their existing IP's. Mario will continue to look the same to us all because we have grown up with him. Nintendo tries to emulate the feel of the original Mario games to an extent that we still feel like its a Mario game we've played before. They can't make an open world Mario game because that's what Metroid is about. They can't make mario fly a spaceship because that's what Starfox is about. There are so little things they can only think for Mario and that comes to this extent. And that's why Mario has a whole bunch of spin offs like Sports, Puzzles, RPG's etc.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Artwark wrote:

They can't make an open world Mario game because that's what Metroid is about.

that must be why Ubisoft keeps making different successful open world franchises

or Rockstar

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SCRAPPER392

I think as much as everyone hates the "recycling" type approach they've been having for some titles, they are still improving for what they are.

New Super Mario Bros. U was my most favorite New Mario game. I didn't really like any of the other ones very much. 3D World looks exactly how an HD Mario should, IMO. I'm somewhat disappointed in how the Mario & Luigi series turned out, though.

Super Mario Sunshine was probably the most extreme Mario ever, BTW. It was more difficult, looked better, and had more options than any other Mario game.

I don't think people really know what they want anymore when it comes to Mario, for the most part.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Mansa

SCAR392 wrote:

I don't think people really know what they want anymore when it comes to Mario, for the most part.

Good point, good point indeed...for me at least. :/

Mansa

Nintendo Network ID: Bronze

CM30

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Artwark wrote:

They can't make an open world Mario game because that's what Metroid is about.

that must be why Ubisoft keeps making different successful open world franchises

or Rockstar

Key word 'different'.

Ubisoft and Rockstar don't try and make all their games 'GTA in this setting' or such like, they make new series and characters to fit said settings and ideas.

All the people wanting Mario to be super different or 'innovative' fail to realise that the point of a series is literally more of the same, because that's what the buyers of the earlier installments want. It's the purpose of original franchises to innovate, not existing ones.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Socar

@CM30

True indeed. But then what about in the cases of Spin offs like KIRBY MASS ATTACK?????

GuSolarFlare

Artwark wrote:

@CM30

True indeed. But then what about in the cases of Spin offs like KIRBY MASS ATTACK?????

you know some spin offs come better than the main series! plus it looks like they put less money into those(when they're brand new and not part of a side series) so the developers have more freedom to take risks. I LOVE spin-offs they feel so fresh and full of feelings!

edit I LOVE good sipn-offs, not games that were rebranded to a famous IP and rushed to sell more and faster(with a few notable exceptions)

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

CM30

Artwark wrote:

@CM30

Spinoffs are fine. As long as it's clear they're spinoffs, and that the 'spinoff' isn't the ONLY game in the franchise for ages (cough Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts cough). What sucks is when a company decides 'right, let's make our series that was once about this about something completely different', or 'let's majorly genre shift the whole thing'.

Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!

Twitter:

Socar

@Gusilverflame

Yeah spinoffs are fine but something like mass attack or Sticker Star require some thought process before the final execution.

GuSolarFlare

@Artwark true, something in Mass Attack felt off(can't pinpoint what, something just felt wrong) and Sticker Star's last world was too short(to tell the truth I was fine with the simple story and the lack of exp making fights pointless, mostly because I like the fight system used in Paper Mario)

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

CM30

Paper Mario Sticker Star is a great example of a title that should have been completely seperate from the 'Paper Mario' brand. Something like 'Mario's Sticker Adventure' or the like instead.

That way, they could have done something new, and people wouldn't be comparing to an RPG series in which it shares pretty much nothing in common and is a bit of a disgrace to the good name of. Would have potentially even been seen as a decent game.

Twitter:

RR529

CM30 wrote:

Paper Mario Sticker Star is a great example of a title that should have been completely seperate from the 'Paper Mario' brand. Something like 'Mario's Sticker Adventure' or the like instead.

That way, they could have done something new, and people wouldn't be comparing to an RPG series in which it shares pretty much nothing in common and is a bit of a disgrace to the good name of. Would have potentially even been seen as a decent game.

You're absolutely right. Since this Mario RPG with turn based battles, a pop-up story book presentation, & humorous dialogue had a simpler story & no leveling, it shares absolutely nothing in common with those other Mario RPGs with turn based battle systems, a pop-up story book presentation, and humorous dialogue. Lol, WTF!

I won't say it's as good as other Paper Mario games, because yes, I personally didn't like it as much as the original, but it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, and I'd even say it stays truer to the original games in style, than Super Paper Mario did (which was pretty much a platformer in a PM paint job). That's not to say SPM was a bad game, because I enjoyed it too, but SS gets way too much hate.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

BSlyGamerGuy

I don't see how someone could play a masterpiece like Super Mario 3D Land and say that Mario games are on a "downgrade". I guess its a matter of opinion but games like this are what Mario is all about, why ruin a good thing a fix something that isn't broken?

Check me out on Twitter - @BSlyTheGamerGuy
Check out http://BslyTheGamerGuy.Tumblr.com Updated 1/11/14 SUPER MARIO review for the NES!

Twitter:

CM30

OfficialRVGA wrote:

I don't see how someone could play a masterpiece like Super Mario 3D Land and say that Mario games are on a "downgrade". I guess its a matter of opinion but games like this are what Mario is all about, why ruin a good thing a fix something that isn't broken?

Blame the desperate obsession with originality among young people nowadays. The obsession with wanting to change things for the pure hell of it and general disdain for anything that is perfectly good as it already is.

Twitter:

Socar

OfficialRVGA wrote:

Its the problem with people who have grown up with him. There's nothing wrong with the Mario games infact its too impossible to find a bad Mario game with the exception of the Lost Levels.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.