Forums

Topic: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

Posts 161 to 180 of 199

DreamyViridi

@meleebrawler - Now that you mention it, yeah. It does. The cutscenes are charming, with some nice references. I just wish I could do a bit more in gameplay since there are times where the battles feel luck-based.

On an unrelated note, I just got the "Great Force" item and... the reference is not even subtle anymore. XD

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

bellow

I forgot about minion quest until I read some of these posts. Then again I never played the original so I'm finding the main event more than enough to keep me happy. What an insane game! The events around that cola brewery section will live with me forever 😀

bellow

meleebrawler

@DreamyViridi I wonder what the Power Grip does now that the bros can hold their hammer defence indefinitely by default? If it's even still in the game, that is...

And man, Woo Beans are much harder to gather this time around. While there are still a good number of common enemies carrying them, they're now the rare drops.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

DreamyViridi

@meleebrawler - Oh yeah, I forgot about the Power Grip. Isn't that the 5th item you get from the café? If so, I think it's been replaced and instead of the Power Grip, you get the "Secret Specs" which supposedly lets you see hidden blocks. I've yet to see it work since I already got the hidden blocks I know about but have it equipped anyway just in case. It also looks like the Virtual Boy.

Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

TheTetrisGuy

To those who have the game, what are your overall thoughts? Anything to crazy different from the orginal? Without spoilers naturally.

Edited on by TheTetrisGuy

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

DreamyViridi

@TheTetrisGuy - Game's great! I haven't finished it yet as I'm playing Minion Quest alongside the main game but I'm having as much fun with it as I would the original. There's new equipment, a couple of enemy replacements and the battle system is taken straight from the modern M&L so enemy stats have been redone but in a way; the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Mario Maker Levels

meleebrawler

I like how Mom Piranha's energy ball attack looks like it came straight out of Pokemon with it's green color (does it have a red variation when targeting Mario?). And Captain Shy Guy is especially hilarious with his no-nonsense attitude, particularly in the Gwarhar Lagoon chapter.

Pokefanmum82

Does anybody know when you get the amiibo ability in the main game?

Want: Mario Party Top 100, Atlus games, Psychic Spectres for the 3DS. For the Switch Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi and many others.

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing Stories, Crystal and Ultra Sun.

meleebrawler

@Pokefanmum82 After defeating Queen Bean. A resident with an amiibo sign will appear in town. If you then present a Mario-type amiibo (Smash or Super Mario versions will work) to him, you'll get a certain piece of bonus gear, and you'll have the ability to collect stamps from other amiibo at any time, which you can then present to the guy for more rewards.

Minions spoilers: Man, Captain Goomba seems to be responsible for almost every seemingly random misfortune seen in the main story. Bowser's amnesia, Mario's Bean Fever (though Mario doesn't help his case, because the "Invincishroom", actually just a plain old Poison Mushroom is purple instead of green like you'd expect a 1-up mix to be). All completely unintentional, of course. A bit weird how Morton's invasion of Little Fungitown is never mentioned, though, given how it seems to happen before Mario & Luigi arrive.

meleebrawler

Do people really care for Geno as a character? Or just for what he represents? (The game he appeared in). He's as bland as an RPG character gets, with almost none of the quirks that make Mario RPG characters lovable or memorable.

TheTetrisGuy

I think people think of him as the most original character in the game, and then he just kind of became the poster boy(toy?) for SM RPG. I think it's mostly what he represents.

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

DreamyViridi

Yeah, I never cared for Geno. I do know that he is technically Square Enix property, maybe they were unable to / couldn't be bothered to get permission to use him for the cameo.

Mario Maker Levels

TheTetrisGuy

To be clear: to my great shame I've never played the game, that's just the impression I get.

meleebrawler

@DreamyViridi Probably couldn't be bothered, but at this point, Squeenix probably doesn't care about him either. As for the Bink's design change, that reference seems to have moved to the arcade: one of the cabinets features Donkey Kong on it.

Honestly think Mallow is a better character overall, he gets more development. But of course he's generally considered the least useful party member once Peach joins, and we all know how the usefulness of a character sways popularity in the west. His crybaby first impression likely didn't help matters either.

TheTetrisGuy

I like how this became a Geno/super Mario RPG discussion.😄 I think that this might be a sign that we won't get the SM RPG 2. It could be Nintendo not wanting to go to the trouble, but it wouldn't take to much to just ask "Hey can we use this character that in the past 10 years the most the only thing meaningful thing that he's done is be used as a Mii costume."

meleebrawler

They can make Mario RPG 2 if they really want to. It doesn't need to have Geno in it. Or maybe do a collab like with Ubisoft and Mario + Rabbids. But wouldn't making such a game truly signify the end of Paper Mario? That was pretty much RPG 2 in everything but aesthetics and name.

Snaplocket

@meleebrawler Since Paper Mario has more or less ditched the whole "RPG" aspect. I really don't see a new Mario RPG franchise as a bad idea. (after all Mario + Rabbids was a surprisingly great game)

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

DreamyViridi

I'm not sure my opinion is even noteworthy since I've never played Mario RPG but having watched playthroughs of it, I think one of the reasons why I don't care much for it is that it just seems like "Final Fantasy with Mario characters", at least as far as gameplay goes.

In terms of RPGs, I much prefer the M&L and Paper Mario formula.

Mario Maker Levels

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic