Forums

Topic: Is Pokémon Coming To An End?

Posts 201 to 220 of 237

Bolt_Strike

CaviarMeths wrote:

People need to stop assuming that "I want a console Pokemon" = "everyone wants a console Pokemon."

The primary demographic for these games are children who like to take their handheld to school and battle and trade with their friends. And Japanese gamers, who don't really care about console games at all.

If you are an adult and playing Pokemon, cool, that's fine, but understand that you are not the target audience and Nintendo should not be catering to you.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/01/pokemons-audience-growin...

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Haru17

MegaBeedrill wrote:

All 3 schools I moved to were very restrictive with that kind of stuff. One banned saying the word nintendo (lmao), one banned pokemon trading cards (rofl), and all of them banned any form of eletronic on the properity including cell phones. (which they are lightening up on due to the necessity in having them.)

Not joking about the nintendo one.. it was litteraly in the handbook not to say nintendo

I guess it's time to move again.

Where the heck was that? North Korea!?!

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LaserdiscGal

@Haru17 it's not called Pokemon there, It's called Supremeleadermon

Please learn to respect cultural differences.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

NintendoFan64

MegaBeedrill wrote:

All 3 schools I moved to were very restrictive with that kind of stuff. One banned saying the word nintendo (lmao), one banned pokemon trading cards (rofl), and all of them banned any form of eletronic on the properity including cell phones. (which they are lightening up on due to the necessity in having them.)

Not joking about the nintendo one.. it was litteraly in the handbook not to say nintendo

I guess it's time to move again.

Y'know, I honestly want know what event took place that caused them to make it against the rules to say "Nintendo".

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Araquanid

didnt want to derail the thread.. But

The whole "Nintendo banned" thing originated from some stupid controversy that a parent started and some teachers tagged in on when kids were caught playing GBA games during class or some sort.. At least that's what I heard. This was 7 years ago.

Basically, my schools are just filled with antivideogame stereotypes. (They're regular districts too)

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Pokefanmum82

my kids are allowed to play video games on the bus and I think recess but I don't let them take theirs to school since my son took mine and his on two of the coldest days and both ended up dying.

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

Eel

My school (s) had no problem with video games, as long as I wasn't playing them during class.

After all, the only danger they posed was being stolen... And that was our responsibility, not theirs.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

CanisWolfred

Morpheel wrote:

My school (s) had no problem with video games, as long as I wasn't playing them during class.

After all, the only danger they posed was being stolen... And that was our responsibility, not theirs.

Tell that to my old Middle School. :/

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

jump

CaviarMeths wrote:

People need to stop assuming that "I want a console Pokemon" = "everyone wants a console Pokemon."

The primary demographic for these games are children who like to take their handheld to school and battle and trade with their friends. And Japanese gamers, who don't really care about console games at all.

If you are an adult and playing Pokemon, cool, that's fine, but understand that you are not the target audience and Nintendo should not be catering to you.

The associated demographic maybe Japanese kids but sales to teenagers/adults outweighs kids and they sell more copies in the US than Japan.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Honestly, by that logic we should stop expecting pokemon games on dedicated gaming platforms at all.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

iKhan

If Game Freak is designing Pokemon games for children, then they have completely lost sight of their earlier accomplishments,

The key to making great content that kids and adults love, is to make a great product and ensure it is ACCESSIBLE to kids. Trying to build a piece of media for kids will result in a weak piece of content that is only good through the eyes of a child (unless you are making educational media)

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Bolt_Strike

iKhan wrote:

If Game Freak is designing Pokemon games for children, then they have completely lost sight of their earlier accomplishments,

The key to making great content that kids and adults love, is to make a great product and ensure it is ACCESSIBLE to kids. Trying to build a piece of media for kids will result in a weak piece of content that is only good through the eyes of a child (unless you are making educational media)

Yeah, this is the main problem I have with Game Freak's design philosophy now. They don't just make the gameplay accessible to kids, but they make it so that kids are the only demographic that can truly enjoy them. Instead of designing the regions so that they have an intuitive main path but a lot of extra areas to explore off the beaten path, there's virtually nothing to explore at all. Instead of creating multiple difficulty settings that accommodates players of different skill levels, they lock the game on Super Easy Mode. The recent games have been designed in a way that the only way for someone older than 5 to really get any enjoyment out of them is through competitive, the main game has become far too inflexible to the point of only really appealing to kids. It's like riding a bike with the training wheels glued on.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Pokefanmum82

black 2/white 2 is the only Pokemon game that had varying degrees of difficulty. No other game has ever had that. Even with black 2/white 2 you had to play through the game first before you could unlock it. I, for one, like the way Pokemon games are and I am 32 & don`t play competitively at all.

Edited on by Pokefanmum82

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.

iKhan

I like them too, but I find newer games far more underwhelming. They've really lost focus of letting the player go on his/her Pokemon adventure. It's all about telling the kids exactly where to go and what to do when. There is very little emphasis on discovery and problem solving.

The core of collecting Pokemon is still fun though.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Bolt_Strike

Pokefanmum82 wrote:

black 2/white 2 is the only Pokemon game that had varying degrees of difficulty. No other game has ever had that. Even with black 2/white 2 you had to play through the game first before you could unlock it. I, for one, like the way Pokemon games are and I am 32 & don`t play competitively at all.

The lack of difficulty options isn't the problem there, the problem is that the difficulty went down around 5th gen to accommodate kids. I mentioned multiple difficulty modes as a solution to balancing the needs of the older audience and the younger audience instead of playing favorites.

Also, requiring you to communicate locally with someone who's already beaten Black 2 to unlock it is probably the dumbest way they could've handled difficulty settings. It needs to be an option you select from the start just like name and gender are, otherwise it's not really accessible.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Pokefanmum82

so what? they are supposed to ignore kids to make the game fun for you to play? There are enough games out there for you to play if you want a difficult game to play. Kids would get too frustrated if a game is too hard for them to play. I know my kids are that way. Nintendo has something for everyone. Pokemon is selling just fine for it being an easy game to play.

Finished the Alola Dex.

DefHalan

Pokefanmum82 wrote:

so what? they are supposed to ignore kids to make the game fun for you to play? There are enough games out there for you to play if you want a difficult game to play. Kids would get too frustrated if a game is too hard for them to play. I know my kids are that way. Nintendo has something for everyone. Pokemon is selling just fine for it being an easy game to play.

The game is complicated enough to keep kids interested but easy enough for adults not to give up

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Araquanid

I honestly don't get some of these "difficulty" reasonings..

yeah, x/y didn't have good trainers, gyms, E4, etc etc...

But in BW's case I really find it biased or just stretching for something to nitpick.. IMO BW was one of the most enjoyable generations to play, due to the fact I didn't have to carry an HM slave around constantly. Sure there were a few locations, but non that forced me to choose a water starter, or run tentacruel and gyarados just because they could learn surf like hoenn. Or in DPP, where you had to teach something cut for the one single route that required it.. and then got stuck with the wasted moveslot the whole adventure... it seemed more enjoyable, and less pressuring with the idea that you don't have to be forced to run pokemon A, B, C, if you want to beat the game (I did a monobug team run which was fine by me). It felt more fresh and free, that I can actually use the pokemon I like instead of, like I already said, being forced to run HM slaves, being in the form of pokemon I care less about.

In addition to that, I'll just summerize what I already said, I enjoyed the lack of repetitive tentacruel, zubat, pikachu, geodude, abra, pikachu, magikarp, pikachu, did I say pikachu? Cause I was glad pikachu wasn't in BW.. the game was actually a new generation focusing on new things instead of having a couple new things and then bringing back the same pokemon again. Don't care if the pokemon look similar, replace the previous ones, all I care about is they're something different..

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

Pokefanmum82 wrote:

No, they don't need to ignore kids. What they need is a more flexible playstyle that can accommodate players of varying skill levels. If they want to make the gameplay more accessible to kids, great. Just do it in a way that the older audience doesn't have to suffer for it. Really, that's not making the game more accessible, it's playing favorites.

MegaBeedrill wrote:

But in BW's case I really find it biased or just stretching for something to nitpick.. IMO BW was one of the most enjoyable generations to play, due to the fact I didn't have to carry an HM slave around constantly. Sure there were a few locations, but non that forced me to choose a water starter, or run tentacruel and gyarados just because they could learn surf like hoenn. Or in DPP, where you had to teach something cut for the one single route that required it.. and then got stuck with the wasted moveslot the whole adventure... it seemed more enjoyable, and less pressuring with the idea that you don't have to be forced to run pokemon A, B, C, if you want to beat the game (I did a monobug team run which was fine by me). It felt more fresh and free, that I can actually use the pokemon I like instead of, like I already said, being forced to run HM slaves, being in the form of pokemon I care less about.

The big problems with Unova and Kalos' difficulty are region design and the roster design. The region design since Unova has been painfully linear, the regions are mainly a straight shot from start to finish with no choice on how to progress and very few optional areas. And the trainers all have arbitrary limits on their rosters. Gym leaders never have more than 3 Pokemon, Elite 4 never have more than 4 Pokemon, etc. It makes the battles anti-climactic and too easy. It's things like that that dumb the game down and turn the game off to an older audience, they removed the sense of adventure and challenge from the game.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

iKhan

Pokefanmum82 wrote:

No, they aren't supposed to ignore kids. They are supposed to make a great game first, then work on making it accessible to kids. Those ideas aren't incompatible. Earlier generations did it just fine.

MegaBeedrill wrote:

In addition to that, I'll just summerize what I already said, I enjoyed the lack of repetitive tentacruel, zubat, pikachu, geodude, abra, pikachu, magikarp, pikachu, did I say pikachu? Cause I was glad pikachu wasn't in BW.. the game was actually a new generation focusing on new things instead of having a couple new things and then bringing back the same pokemon again. Don't care if the pokemon look similar, replace the previous ones, all I care about is they're something different..

What you say is true, but I think they are far finer details. IMO B/W has far greater problems. I definitely wouldn't say B/W is too easy in terms of battles, but it's a complete pushover in everything else. Gym puzzles were practically non existent. There weren't any mazes until the post game, and the overworld was 100% linear.

Also, I'm actually not a fan of how X/Y and B/W cut back on the number of HMs you need. I totally get that having to carry around HM slaves sucks, but the solution to that is to replace them with items like a "hatchet" or "boat". Removing the requirement for the tools really impedes the sense of exploration. Having points where the game stops you with a tree, ocean, etc, gives the game a sense of independent progression. Now, when you come across one of these things on what you think may be the main path, it's up to you to find the tool that will get you across. Once you get the tool, you as a player feel like you have more freedom and more places to go.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.