Forums

Topic: Is Pokémon Coming To An End?

Posts 181 to 200 of 237

Araquanid

@BlatantlyHeroic Actually completeling the pokedex is a little more serious then you think. In DPP you HAD to complex the sinnoh dex if you ever wanted to get the national dex to start catching any cool past gen mons.

In X/Y and ORAS you had to complete the national dex to get the shiny charm (which as a shiny hunter, is a god send to have)

Any others I can't back up, forgot all about them.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Eel

Well, in DPPt you only had to see each Pokemon at least once to complete the Sinnoh dex.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Araquanid

Morpheel wrote:

Well, in DPPt you only had to see each Pokemon at least once to complete the Sinnoh dex.

Close enough

My Shinies

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

-Juice-

arronishere wrote:

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

arronishere wrote:

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

I know some people don't like being limited to new Pokemon, and Gamefreak took that to heart and that's why they were harder to find and didn't play very significant roles in the games. Most of these people are genwunners (or fanboys of other generations), and sadly their negative opinions are the loudest and the ones Gamefreak heard most clearly. It would have been better for Gamefreak to have just done what it wanted to do rather than listening to that outcry. We could have had all of those Pokemon available, but made them more rare than the Kalos Pokemon, and then had the Kalos Pokemon feature in the gyms and what-not. That way Kalos would feel like its own region and not the game made to please disgruntled fans who for the most part, don't care for new generations and aren't real fans anyway. I mean, all of the people who hate adding more Pokemon make no sense at all. That's like hating scientists for finding new animals, and wanting them to exterminate a lot of them because there are "too many" species in the world. Pokemon is about living with a vast and thriving ecosystem much like ours, where new wonders and discoveries can be found every day. To hate that is to hate life itself, which is very profound. Why would a person hate exploration and new discoveries? It seems like no world building and no new species would make for a boring Pokemon game.

Either that or there's too many to keep track of as it is, I am glad there wasn't another 10 new legendary pokes half of which are event only

See, this is what I don't understand. You literally don't have to keep track of them. You don't have to do anything of the sort. All you have to do is play the game like a normal person by catching whatever looks cool to you. That's literally it. The Pokedex isn't even that important other than having bragging rights. Also, if you actually play the games, no, it's not too hard to keep track of them even when new ones are introduced. We have this resource called the internet, and on it is Serebii. We have the resources, the people who refuse to use those resources aren't victims and I don't buy their sob story of not being able to keep track. You know what happens if you can't keep track of things even though you have the resources to do so when you have a job? You mess up schedules, making you a terrible employee, so you get fired.

The start of every game has someone telling you to fill out the 'dex. You say have the resources but like I said in my earlier post it's not in game, you have to log into serebii, smogon, the IV calculator, bulbaipedia etc for it all which really isn't kid or even casual friendly and tbh I've clocked hundreds of hours playing them games and I would be shocked if I could name/remember half of the abilties for each and every single poke.

I can tell you from several marketing stand points that you're wrong on that. Kids actively use the internet. More so than they did just a few years ago. It has became an integral part of their life style. Also, you don't have to complete the Pokedex. It's an optional quest that has no verdict on whether or not you have beaten the game, as the title screen only rolls once you have completed your adventure through battling. If you like collecting, that's fine. Just be sure to have a whole bunch stored in Pokemon Bank so that you can complete the Pokedex whenever you want. I'll tell you this: kids and casuals DON'T CARE ABOUT COMPLETING THE POKEDEX. That's a task that has ALWAYS been niche. All they care about is having cool looking creatures to battle and trade.

No. You don't have to login to Serebii. You literally go onto the site, click enter, then you can freely navigate the site. It's very well organize, and isn't hard to find your game located in the list. They have specific pages with the Pokemon that are available in which ever game you want to know about, complete with pictures.

Edited on by -Juice-

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

Araquanid

Prior to gen 6, I always just used a guide book for everything.

I can remember everything's ability and typing from the top of my head, as well as locations.. but ignitional I have to find out by looking it up of course.

My Shinies

-Juice-

MegaBeedrill wrote:

Prior to gen 6, I always just used a guide book for everything.

I can remember everything's ability and typing from the top of my head, as well as locations.. but ignitional I have to find out by looking it up of course.

Exactly, and obviously if someone is actually 100% interested in completing the Pokedex, they'll take initiative to find out how to do it. I don't think this is an argument that will ever go anywhere though. It's age old and has been around for quite a while. I'll just say this: the day we stop having new regions with new Pokemon, is the day I lose interest as there won't be anything worth exploring because it will all just be stuff I've seen before. Seeing the same Pokemon every game is going to be a boring reality.

Edited on by -Juice-

Okapi

GloverMist wrote:

Squid wrote:

Gen 5 is my least favorite, and even though it introduced Mega Evolutions X/Y was pretty bland. However Omega Ruby is the best Pokemon game I've played yet and I've been playing since Red.

Well, we're near-identical in that respect! In another unpopular opinion of mine, I hated Generation 5. I consider it by far the worst generation for several reasons (but that's a story for another day) and, like yokokazuo over there, nearly quit after playing it. Black 2 still holds recognition for being the only Pokémon game I ever gave up on due to boredom. However, while X and Y was a semi-return to form, it still wasn't perfect. I've been playing since Ruby and recently bought Omega Ruby and loved it to all heck. I guess it was that that reminded me of how the series used to be. But, maybe we're just getting jaded and cynical. It's a massive seller, so of course it's gonna carry on. But should it...?

Sorry to break the flow of conversation, but I'm just glad to see I'm not the only person who hated gen 5.

I was getting burned out of Pokemon as well. After the previously mentioned gen 5 released, it pretty much killed Pokemon for me, I never bought B/W 2, so that gave be the break from the series I needed. I came back for X/Y, and I loved that game (unpopular opinion). Alpha Sapphire was even better.

I don't think Pokemon will die any time soon. Like it or not, it's still one of Nintendo's biggest sellers.

Okapi

DefHalan

Gen 5 burned me out, I barely beat the Pokemon League in B/W1 and never played B/W2. For me it was training. It was so hard for me to gain experience and I am the type of person that likes to have my pokemon so strong against a Gym that I only need 1 of my 6 to beat them. I got bored of the Pokemon I was seeing because I was training for so long because of the exp system they had. Being so happy to kill Audino and feeling like I was wasting my time when fighting other Pokemon. Thank goodness Gen 6 fixed that.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Araquanid

I've always had to look up the location of tms and items anyway. Looking for Pokemon if anything is easier.. They even took random chance out of Oras with dexnav.

My Shinies

-Juice-

arronishere wrote:

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

I can tell you from several marketing stand points that you're wrong on that. Kids actively use the internet. More so than they did just a few years ago. It has became an integral part of their life style. Also, you don't have to complete the Pokedex. It's an optional quest that has no verdict on whether or not you have beaten the game, as the title screen only rolls once you have completed your adventure through battling. If you like collecting, that's fine. Just be sure to have a whole bunch stored in Pokemon Bank so that you can complete the Pokedex whenever you want. I'll tell you this: kids and casuals DON'T CARE ABOUT COMPLETING THE POKEDEX. That's a task that has ALWAYS been niche. All they care about is having cool looking creatures to battle and trade.

No. You don't have to login to Serebii. You literally go onto the site, click enter, then you can freely navigate the site. It's very well organize, and isn't hard to find your game located in the list. They have specific pages with the Pokemon that are available in which ever game you want to know about, complete with pictures.

I don't remembering saying anything about kids not using the internet but at least putting words in my mouth is better than another dramatic analogy about how it's like hating life or losing your job

I don't think you're understanding my point, because besides from saying not everyone has to do that (which I never said they did) and contradicting yourself by saying there's not too many Pokemon followed up by then saying you need to research them on the internet you've not argued against my point. Of the post game content like completing the 'dex and competive battling you need resources outside of the game from Serebii to the bank as GF aren't providing them in game and to me that seems more of hindrance than encouragement.

Answer these questions: How many casuals even want to complete the pokedex? How many people would prefer new creatures instead of rehashing old ones?

Blast

MegaBeedrill wrote:

You can still use the GTS to catch them all.

Most of the trade requests are very unreasonable

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Eel

The correct way to use the GTS is asking, not looking for a Pokemon.

If you're reasonable with your trade offers, chances are you'll get the Pokemon you want in at least one or two days.

If that fails, offering random legendaries (you should have tons of those by now) is always good.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Reznor52

I don't think pokemon will go anywhere for a while but being a fan since the beginning ( 1st and 2nd Gen). Pokemon is definitely stale and I've seen my peers who grew up with pokemon (generation 1) more or less move on. I'd rather have a next gen pokemon game, one that's evolved, over adding new pokemon which is part of the reason I've lose interest. Requires too much time to keep track of them all.
It frustrates me why they don't make a full scale 3D pokemon RPG on the consoles. Everyone has been demanding and dreaming of it. A number of pokemon mods that try to capture that. I know the logistics of it. Pokemon is Nintendos biggest cash cow for the handhelds but come on, I think it'd only add on to the overall sales.

Reznor52

CM30

They won't make one because part of the appeal of the series is trading with others, and they don't want to make it entirely online based.

I guess the Nintendo NX could fix that though, if it could be played as both a handheld and a home console.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Araquanid

Not to mention the game is more turn-based, making it difficult to have accurate time scaling for ingame battles and whatnot with online trainers.

If it was like pokepark: wonders beyond with online interaction, then yeah I guess it'd be pretty decent, but I'm sure a Gmod simulation would pretty much make that possible now.

My Shinies

CaviarMeths

People need to stop assuming that "I want a console Pokemon" = "everyone wants a console Pokemon."

The primary demographic for these games are children who like to take their handheld to school and battle and trade with their friends. And Japanese gamers, who don't really care about console games at all.

If you are an adult and playing Pokemon, cool, that's fine, but understand that you are not the target audience and Nintendo should not be catering to you.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Araquanid

CaviarMeths wrote:

The primary demographic for these games are children who like to take their handheld to school and battle and trade with their friends.

Since when does school allow video games?

My Shinies

LaserdiscGal

@MegaBeedrill

I moved around a lot, went to about 7 different schools, not a single one stopped kids from bringing videogames.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

Araquanid

All 3 schools I moved to were very restrictive with that kind of stuff. One banned saying the word nintendo (lmao), one banned pokemon trading cards (rofl), and all of them banned any form of eletronic on the properity including cell phones. (which they are lightening up on due to the necessity in having them.)

Not joking about the nintendo one.. it was litteraly in the handbook not to say nintendo

I guess it's time to move again.

Edited on by Araquanid

My Shinies

Blast

CaviarMeths wrote:

People need to stop assuming that "I want a console Pokemon" = "everyone wants a console Pokemon."

The primary demographic for these games are children who like to take their handheld to school and battle and trade with their friends. And Japanese gamers, who don't really care about console games at all.

If you are an adult and playing Pokemon, cool, that's fine, but understand that you are not the target audience and Nintendo should not be catering to you.

Adult Pokemon fans aren't the target audience? Are you joking? Then why do ev training exisits? Or Megaevolutions (only giving it to popular fan favorites like Charizard first)? Or Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire?

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.