Forums

Topic: IGN reviews the Nintendo 3DS (7.5/10) & Steel Diver (7/10)

Posts 21 to 40 of 98

zeeroid

Tech101 wrote:

Humm what system had a great launch line up. I recall the ps3 getting bashed for this. Not to many systems have had a great launch line up. I think its all about variety and the 3ds has that going for it. 2 racing games to choose from soon two fighting games. Flight sim I mean come on. The only thing it wont have is a rpg and that's understandable!

That's true, but the 3DS has the drawback of not really delivering any absolute must-haves on day one. At least, not for its core demographic (the Nintendo loyalist). SSF4 is sheer awesomeness and Pilotwings is plenty of fun, but neither are games that span the divide and reach out to just about everyone who owns the system. PS3 did indeed suffer from the same fate, although it did have Resistance: Fall of Man, which was a pretty damn good FPS at the time. The 3DS unfortunately, I would argue, doesn't even quite live up to that.

3DS: 1676 - 3679 - 7062
PSN: Zeer0id

Pushmo puzzle album (w/ QR codes)

CanisWolfred

Tech101 wrote:

Humm what system had a great launch line up. I recall the ps3 getting bashed for this. Not to many systems have had a great launch line up. I think its all about variety and the 3ds has that going for it. 2 racing games to choose from soon two fighting games. Flight sim I mean come on. The only thing it wont have is a rpg and that's understandable!

That is true that the launch line up is better than most, but it still sucks. BTW, the Dreamcast had a great launch line-up.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Spoony_Tech

The dreamcast was an awesome machine but Sega made to many mistakes before that to help their own cause!!

Yes resistance was good but not to many people knew anything about it at launch. I would argue that the ps3 didn't have much the first year that made people want to buy it. The 3ds has some on the horizon but we still don't know if kid Icarus will be that good and Zelda as good as we all know it is is still only a remake of classic. We will have to hope that like the Wii the gimmick of the 3d will sustain for the rest of the year till Christmas looms around and that killer game does come around! The first 6 months might be the 3 parties time to shine!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

CowLaunch

With the lack of stellar games, I do wonder if Nintendo was concerned that a rival company was developing something similar and would beat them to it. It does seem odd that they didn't wait to launch with a Mario or Zelda game. I don't think Virtual Boy had a Mario or Zelda either. Kind of seems Nintendo are very keen to get 3D gaming out there, well, they've almost said as much when talking about 3D in games such as Luigi's Mansion.

CowLaunch

HolyMackerel

I don't really care whether the 3DS's launch line up is a failure or not. I care what games will be coming to the 3DS in the future and judging from just the "launch window" titles it looks like its catalogue will eventually be on par with the DS's. Nintendo's gems alongside lots of high quality third-party support. That's all I ask for.

If the DS is anything to go by, the 3DS will hit its stride later on when the games start pouring in,

@zeeroid The DS never had a must-have title. NSMB maybe? I still wouldn't call that a must-have. Though I wouldn't call Resistance: Fall of Man a must-have either.

HolyMackerel

CowLaunch

Reading the review, it's interesting there's an internet icon, but no internet yet, and so on. Does lend credence to the idea that the release of the 3DS seems a little rushed.

The concept of reviewing a console seems bizarre to me, surely you can only review after the console has died and all the games are available, until then the quality of the console is forever evolving.

CowLaunch

zeeroid

HolyMackerel wrote:

@zeeroid The DS never had a must-have title. NSMB maybe? I still wouldn't call that a must-have. Though I wouldn't call Resistance: Fall of Man a must-have either.

NSMB was well after the DS's launch, I believe. It had Super Mario 64, which was "good enough" in the minds of most DS owners at the time, I'd say. It added quite a lot of content to an already fantastic game. Obviously the only drawback was the D-pad controls. Ocarina of Time was really supposed to do the same for the 3DS. It's a remake of an N64 title. Wouldn't you consider that a "must-have"?

Also, I never meant to imply that Resistance was a must-have title, just that it's (in my opinion) a better offering than anything the 3DS has to show for itself at launch. Having said all this, I'm still getting the damn thing at launch. Hell, I didn't get a PS3 until 2 years later. It really speaks volumes about how excited I am for the hardware and its upcoming lineup that I would get the system at least a couple months before I plan to even buy a game for it. Well, that and the pre-order bonus. Heh.

CowLaunch wrote:

The concept of reviewing a console seems bizarre to me, surely you can only review after the console has died and all the games are available, until then the quality of the console is forever evolving.

Well, I think the point of the review is to offer up an opinion on whether or not the system is worth picking up at its release. I kind of agree that it's a much less important review down the line than would be the case for most games, but I think it makes sense. People want to know whether it's worth it or not to buy on day 1.

Edited on by zeeroid

kkslider5552000

Mickeymac wrote:

That is true that the launch line up is better than most, but it still sucks.

This is what I've been saying for like the past month.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Natie31

Don't care less what IGN have to say cause i just got my 3DS to be ship one day from amazon which it will be here on tue. the 29th. And i will be playin rayman 3D!

Nintendo Network ID - Natie31
FC: 4124-5005-3092

zeeroid

Natie31 wrote:

Don't care less what IGN have to say cause i just got my 3DS to be ship one day from amazon which it will be here on tue. the 29th. And i will be playin rayman 3D!

RIGHT ON

moosa

CowLaunch wrote:

With the lack of stellar games, I do wonder if Nintendo was concerned that a rival company was developing something similar and would beat them to it. It does seem odd that they didn't wait to launch with a Mario or Zelda game. I don't think Virtual Boy had a Mario or Zelda either. Kind of seems Nintendo are very keen to get 3D gaming out there, well, they've almost said as much when talking about 3D in games such as Luigi's Mansion.

I find it interesting how everyone complains about Nintendo milking their franchises and doing nothing besides Mario and Zelda, while simultaneously everyone complains about not having a new Mario and Zelda. Nintendo is giving us a brand new IP and a sequel to a franchise everyone's been begging to see a sequel for since the N64 launched, plus another big name in Nintendogs, all on day one. Then we have one of the best fighting games to come out in some time along with a number of other decent looking 3rd party games. 16 games on day one is nothing to scoff at. And that's just day one, not even the "launch window" or the games that will drop in soon after.
The only real problem here is the undying fact that people are impossible to satisfy.

Stop complaining and GO PLAY GAMES.

HolyMackerel

zeeroid wrote:

HolyMackerel wrote:

NSMB was well after the DS's launch, I believe. It had Super Mario 64, which was "good enough" in the minds of most DS owners at the time, I'd say. It added quite a lot of content to an already fantastic game. Obviously the only drawback was the D-pad controls. Ocarina of Time was really supposed to do the same for the 3DS. It's a remake of an N64 title. Wouldn't you consider that a "must-have"?

I wasn't even talking about launch titles, I was talking about the DS's catalogue over its entire lifespan! There are no DS must-haves at all, lol. Yet it still sold immensely well and has a high customer satisfaction rate from what I can tell. As for OoT, since it's a remake I wouldn't call it a must-have either. An original Zelda game on par with OoT's quality would certainly be a must-have, however.

HolyMackerel

kkslider5552000

moosa wrote:

The only real problem here is the undying fact that people are impossible to satisfy.

'sup new signature

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

zeeroid

HolyMackerel wrote:

zeeroid wrote:

HolyMackerel wrote:

I wasn't even talking about launch titles, I was talking about the DS's catalogue over its entire lifespan! There are no DS must-haves at all, lol. Yet it still sold immensely well and has a high customer satisfaction rate from what I can tell. As for OoT, since it's a remake I wouldn't call it a must-have either. An original Zelda game on par with OoT's quality would certainly be a must-have, however.

YIKES! High standards! lol

Squiggle55

not being able to fit a console into the front pocket of skinny jeans is a big no no for IGN

Edited on by Squiggle55

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -Albert Einstein

CowLaunch

moosa wrote:

CowLaunch wrote:

I find it interesting how everyone complains about Nintendo milking their franchises and doing nothing besides Mario and Zelda, while simultaneously everyone complains about not having a new Mario and Zelda. Nintendo is giving us a brand new IP and a sequel to a franchise everyone's been begging to see a sequel for since the N64 launched, plus another big name in Nintendogs, all on day one. Then we have one of the best fighting games to come out in some time along with a number of other decent looking 3rd party games. 16 games on day one is nothing to scoff at. And that's just day one, not even the "launch window" or the games that will drop in soon after.

I was noting an anomaly. I'm not emotionally invested in what launch games there are for the 3DS. What everyone else complains about has little to do with my observation, and doesn't require a sanctimonious response. Whether you agree with said observation is another matter.

CowLaunch

LordJumpMad

What?
it Can't fit in My Pocket!
Rage Rage Rage Rage

The games do look nice.

Edited on by LordJumpMad

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

HolyMackerel

@zeeroid Well I'm not a Zelda fan but I will be getting OoT 3DS to see what all the fuss is about. But still I wouldn't count any remakes or ports as must-haves unless they originally had limited availability and are in high demand. MGS3 was a must-have for the PS2 but I wouldn't count it as one for the 3DS. That's just my opinion anyhow.

@kkslider While there are loads of awesome games for the DS, I don't believe there was ever that one high-profile title that everyone wanted to get. By "must-have" I'm assuming we're talking about games which most gamers would see as valuable enough to buy the device for. There's nothing on the DS like Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, FF13, Modern Warfare 2 or Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, which I believe were big system sellers for their respective devices. Unless you count Brain Age!

I personally bought a DS Lite after I saw Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Castlevania DoS were out but I wouldn't say those are must-haves for most people. Like I said NSMB is probably the closest, but it's still not that one must-have title even if it does have broad appeal. It's simply a reliving of the 2D Mario glory days and it (thankfully) doesn't try to be more than that.

Really, the DS has proven that must-haves aren't necessary to succeed since it has so many games targeting different niches. Its large catalogue, appeal to many individual tastes and its low price point were the reasons it has done so well. The 3DS can do the same with its game catalogue. (Although price is another story )

Edited on by HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.