Forums

Topic: How would you grade the 3DS during 2014 (out of 10)?

Posts 1 to 20 of 32

sub12

I'm going to say a 5 or 6, especially after 2013, which was a 8 or 9. I think the problem is two fold.

First you have a lack of third party software, although dare I say this may be changing?, with EA and Ubisoft publishing titles again during the second half of the year, and Konami and Activision are starting to show face on the eShop with some older games (MGS 3, etc.). Still, the lack of output especially from Western developers means that whole genre libraries are pretty lackluster (racing, sports, action, etc.). Thank god for indies and the likes of games like Shovel Knight, because although indies IMO do not replace the big developers on consoles, when it comes to portables, I think the output is much more comparable in quality and presentation.

By far the biggest problem of 2014 however was the lackluster output from Nintendo. For every great handheld game, like Smash, we had some real duds like Yoshi. This was compounded by the fact that many of the 2014 Nintendo titles were very niche, almost to a fault. Mario Golf, Fantasy Life, Tomadachi Life, Sub Wars, etc. are all somewhat niche in one way or the other. Although I enjoyed some of these titles, they lacked the appeal of 2013. The 3DS VC continues to be mediocre as well. We need GBA!!!!

On a positive note, I am hopeful that 2015 will be quite a bit stronger with the launch of the N3DS. I know the Nintendo lineup seems a bit slim for 2015, but I think Nintendo is waiting for the western unveiling to showcase some more titles.

Edited on by sub12

sub12

6ch6ris6

well i am glad there is a good backcatalouge of games that i can play if nothing new comes out that interests me. i only bought one full price retail game this year (fantasy life) which was definetly great but other than that i got some eshop games and older 3DS games for cheap. i was still happy with my 3DS but it definetly was lacking this year for me.

rating for only new stuff in 2014: 5/10
rating my personal experience with 3DS in 2014: 8/10

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

unrandomsam

3/10 (Not interested in 30fps platformers which discounts Yoshi's Island / Kirby. Mario Golf didn't get on principle due to the day 1 DLC situation).

I should get Rune Factory 4. (Probably will when the DDP ends).

Smash Bros I liked but I would have preferred two seperate games.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

sub12

FritzFrapp wrote:

Fantasy Life/10

Pretty low, huh?

sub12

Taceus

For me, 2014 was the weakest year for 3DS. Pokemon, SSB and life-sims are not my cup of tea. 5/10.
Fingers crossed for next year.

'I used to be with 'it', then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it', and what's 'it' is weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you too.' - Abe Simpson

Switch Friend Code: SW-8282-1096-1431 | 3DS Friend Code: 3909-7678-9918 | My Nintendo: Taceus | Nintendo Network ID: Taceus

sub12

If I had to list the years....

2011 (7/10)
2012 (6/10)
2013 (9/10)
2014 (5/10)

2011 is underrated by most, Star Fox 3d, Zelda: OOT, Super Mario 3D Land, MK7.

sub12

moomoo

This year was pretty bad, especially when the year before was the best year for the system, where basically all of the best games for the system all came out. This year would be a 3 or a 4. Just not much, and what we got wasn't the best, in my opinion. Smash, Pokémon remakes, Persona Q, Theatrythm sequel, and Bravely Default were basically it. And honestly, those don't hold a candle to other titles in my opinion (except for Theatrythm.)

It doesn't help that Nintendo could have alleviated the general lack of releases by having Virtual Console releases. New platforms like GBA and a strong weekly schedule would have made up for what they lacked, but no, they didn't do that. Indies didn't really make up for it. Shovel Knight is all I can think of in terms of really strong digital releases.

Vita killed 3DS this year in terms of the amount of solid releases and how consistently they came out. This was basically the year where I went from playing mostly 3DS to mostly Vita. It helps that Vita games were generally cheaper, too. never mind Playstation Plus; I can go over to Best Buy right now and pick up Freedom Wars for $15.

Having a pretty ardent fan of your product move over to the dark side is not what you want as a company.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

IceClimbers

2014 was overall an awful year for 3DS. Next year doesn't seem too hopeful as far as Nintendo's output. The lineup (for North America) for the 1st half of 2015 so far:

-Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
-Zelda Majora's Mask 3D
-Codename STEAM
-Fossil Fighters Frontier
-Etrian Mystery Dungeon
-SMT Devil Survivor 2

...Anything I missed?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

HandheldGuru97

I'll do what @sub12 did...
2011: 7/10
2012: 8/10
2013: 10/10
2014: 8/10
I'm a little biased here because ORAS is a remake of my 2nd Pokemon game so of course I was happy. Mario Golf was a pleasant surprise as was Tomodachi Life. Kirby TD was a sublime 2D platformer, and for what its worth Yoshi was alright too. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call, while I've dreadfully underplayed it, it is the sequel to the-only-reason-why-I-gave-2012-an-8, Theatrhythm. OH and lest we forget Smash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the 3DS version, maybe even more than the U version. An excellent handheld fighter! I have yet to play Ultimate NES Remix, but for those without a Wii U it looks like a blast, and Fantasy Life I'm still beyond excited to play. Nothing, and I say nothing on any remaining 8th Gen. system will do what the 3DS did in 2013, no one. That might be why the 3DS failed to live up to some of you peoples wishes, but for me...it was a good year. Not the best, but pretty good, had enough back catalog that I needed to work through for the 3DS and the new stuff was pretty darn great. 2015...I have feeling it'll be good.

Formally Square-enixFan, Neo-GeoFan. A lover of fine games and handheld systems!!!!!!!!!!
The New 3DS XL is amazing, soon the NX will be upon us!
Backloggery
Check my Youtube channel out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ha...

3DS Friend Code: 1289-8230-2854 | Nintendo Network ID: Square_Enix_Fan

sub12

HandheldGuru97 wrote:

I'll do what @sub12 did...
2011: 7/10
2012: 8/10
2013: 10/10
2014: 8/10
I'm a little biased here because ORAS is a remake of my 2nd Pokemon game so of course I was happy. Mario Golf was a pleasant surprise as was Tomodachi Life. Kirby TD was a sublime 2D platformer, and for what its worth Yoshi was alright too. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call, while I've dreadfully underplayed it, it is the sequel to the-only-reason-why-I-gave-2012-an-8, Theatrhythm. OH and lest we forget Smash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the 3DS version, maybe even more than the U version. An excellent handheld fighter! I have yet to play Ultimate NES Remix, but for those without a Wii U it looks like a blast, and Fantasy Life I'm still beyond excited to play. Nothing, and I say nothing on any remaining 8th Gen. system will do what the 3DS did in 2013, no one. That might be why the 3DS failed to live up to some of you peoples wishes, but for me...it was a good year. Not the best, but pretty good, had enough back catalog that I needed to work through for the 3DS and the new stuff was pretty darn great. 2015...I have feeling it'll be good.

I think you might be a bit biased against the 8th gen systems, 2015 looks to be an amazing year, just saying.

sub12

kenzo

In 2014, the main excitement has been the NEW 3DS models. For most of the world, the New 3DS will be 2015.

I rate the New 3DS a 8/10.

It makes me want to revisit previously played 3DS games with the new super stable 3D feature.

Disappointments are still there with the new models.

They have not fixed the Circle Pad Pro features such as second circle pad (despite C stick) and shoulder buttons (in-line vs double decker).

Also super stable 3D sometimes loses lock in low light conditions, especially with wearing glasses.

We also need to get new Resident Evil on 3DS too.

Moaning over.

kenzo

RR529

I'll agree with the OP that 2011 was underrated. It actually had a pretty good lineup, especially if you don't mind remakes.

• SSFIV3D
  • Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
  • Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
  • DOAD
  • OoT3D
  • RE: Mercs 3D
  • SF643D
  • SM3DL
  • Ace Combat: AHL
  • MK7

2012 was great in the first half (February had 4 big games), but got quiet afterwards.

• Tales of the Abyss
  • MGS3D: Snake Eater
  • Resi Evil: Rev
  • Tekken 3D
  • Kid Icarus: U
  • Kingdom Hearts 3D
  • NSMB2
  • Sticker Star (highly divisive, and the only post summer release on this list)

2013 was the best, and I haven't payed too much attention to 2014, TBH.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

sub12

Sticker Star was pretty lame IMO.....hopefully Namco brings their stuff to the eShop.

sub12

SkywardLink98

The only game I picked up this year was Tomodachi Life for half-off... I feel like that says all I can say really.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

iKhan

C-

First Party was disappointing:
Yoshi-meh don't care
Tomodachi-meh don't care
Mario Golf- meh don't care
Fantasy Life- maybe, not interested at full price
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- maybe, not interested at full price

The only 1st party games worth considering for me were Kirby and Smash.

3rd Party isn't really something I can comment on since most of the 3DS's 3rd Party lineup is from franchises I don't know. I'll say I'm not interested in Bravely Default, and the only 3rd Party games that caught my eye were Persona Q and Phoenix Wright Trilogy.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

sub12

iKhan wrote:

C-

First Party was disappointing:
Yoshi-meh don't care
Tomodachi-meh don't care
Mario Golf- meh don't care
Fantasy Life- maybe, not interested at full price
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- maybe, not interested at full price

The only 1st party games worth considering for me were Kirby and Smash.

3rd Party isn't really something I can comment on since most of the 3DS's 3rd Party lineup is from franchises I don't know. I'll say I'm not interested in Bravely Default, and the only 3rd Party games that caught my eye were Persona Q and Phoenix Wright Trilogy.

I'm pretty much with you, Smash and Kirby were my only big highlights from Nintendo this year, everything else was pretty meh....

sub12

Dezzy

Well I'd say Shovel Knight was probably the best thing on the 3DS this year. So not the best year from Nintendo really. Noway near as good as 2013. 2015 will probably be better:
Majora's Mask, Codename Steam, Xenoblade Chronicles, Monster Hunter 4, probably Bravely Second.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

sub12

Dezzy wrote:

Well I'd say Shovel Knight was probably the best thing on the 3DS this year. So not the best year from Nintendo really. Noway near as good as 2013. 2015 will probably be better:
Majora's Mask, Codename Steam, Xenoblade Chronicles, Monster Hunter 4, probably Bravely Second.

I'm pretty sure they still have one or two a unannounced titles for the second half of 2015 as well (Zelda: MM looks to be late in development, so I'm guessing it's Q1 or Q2, Xenoblade might be the second half of the year, but it's too much of an unknown franchise to be the big Holiday title).

sub12

Storytime7

Azure Striker Gunvolt
Bravely Default (North America)
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
Persona Q
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Shovel Knight
Smash Bros. 3DS

Nothing special compared to 2013, but a decent year overall. Maybe a 6/10 (7/10 if I'm being generous).

Storytime7

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5304-9315 | Nintendo Network ID: storytime7

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.