Forums

Topic: How do I learn about Pokemon?

Posts 1 to 20 of 21

Area57

I just missed it, it was a game for the generation below me, mi have heard the Nintendo games are great, but I have no idea where to begin learning about Pokemon. It looks confusing. Are the games stand alone games that I can just pick up and play, wile learning about Pokemon, or do you have to have characters and no the Pokemon universe to really enjoy them?

Area57

6ch6ris6

maybe you should just start with the first pokemon games. red, blue or yellow for the gameboy. yellow is kind of a different version of red and blue. i'd recommed getting red or blue.
the best handheld to play those games on is the gameboy advance SP. don't forget that it should be a SP cause that has a backlight in the screen. you will be gladful for that when trying to play with lights in the room or when you play outside^^

Steam: ACAB or 6ch6ris6
waiting for a pricedrop on switch

Eat_Pie

@Area57
Start with X or Y, then play Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. As for what you need to know, learn the type advantages. The Pokemon Games can each be played separately and you can still get full enjoyment. You should learn the Pokemon and their types. If you want to know more about breeding or competitive gaming, search online. At first, the Pokemon and their types as well as type advantages may be overwhelming, but eventually you'll pick it up.

Edited on by Eat_Pie

Eat_Pie

DefHalan

What @Eat_Pie said

I also recommend watching the Pokemon show, currently on Netflix, it might help teach you some of the basic mechanics

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Area57

It's a role playing game right? Where I make a character and build him up over time?

Area57

Yosheel

I don't recommend watching the anime to learn about the games.

It would be ok if you were a young kid growing with it, but if you start watching the anime as a grown up, you'll just dislike it.

Edited on by Yosheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DefHalan

Morpheel wrote:

I don't recommend watching the anime to learn about the games.

To each their own, I guess lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Eat_Pie

Area57 wrote:

It's a role playing game right? Where I make a character and build him up over time?

It is an RPG, but rather than building up a character, you build up a team of 6 Pokemon. I agree with @Morpheel on not watching the anime. I personally hate it, and Ash(the main character) does many things that defy Pokemon logic.

Edited on by Eat_Pie

Eat_Pie

Araquanid

I don't agree on trying x and y as your first Pokemon games. You should get ORAS first, as it's the most up to date title providing all the information you need to know now.

Plus, a majority of players really disliked xy.. It wouldn't be a good title to introduce new players to. The game mechanics are the same as ORAS, but the story and content is lacking.

Also, it's more of a learning process. You'll eventually pick up on all the moves and type matchups, it looks complicated but it's really not once you get the hang of things.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Arminillo

Depending on what systems you own:

GB: Yellow
GBA: FireRed, LeafGreen
DS: Platinum
3DS: X&Y

X&Y is very newbie friendly, and is the first games to have Mega Evolutions. Every systems Pokemon games can be considered standalone. The newest pokemon games have 600+ possible pokemon, the originals have 151.

The basics of Pokemon:
-Pokemon are your fighters. You catch them with Pokeballs.
-Pokemon change at certain levels, called evolution.
-Your quest is to find and defeat the eight bosses (Gym Leaders) of the world. From there you fight the Five final bosses (Elite Four & Champion)
-Pokemon can be traded and battled against real people.

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

DefHalan

MegaBeedrill wrote:

I don't agree on trying x and y as your first Pokemon games. You should get ORAS first, as it's the most up to date title providing all the information you need to know now.

Plus, a majority of players really disliked xy.. It wouldn't be a good title to introduce new players to. The game mechanics are the same as ORAS, but the story and content is lacking.

Also, it's more of a learning process. You'll eventually pick up on all the moves and type matchups, it looks complicated but it's really not once you get the hang of things.

I think that is why most people suggest getting the hang of things in X & Y and when they are ready upgrading to ORAS

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Haru17

Morpheel wrote:

I don't recommend watching the anime to learn about the games.

It would be ok if you were a young kid growing with it, but if you start watching the anime as a grown up, you'll just dislike it.

Yep. I would start with either X or Y or Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire. I don't think the learning curve for any of them is too steep. Just pick your setting; pseudo France (XY) or island in the Pacific (ORAS).

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Araquanid

DefHalan wrote:

MegaBeedrill wrote:

I don't agree on trying x and y as your first Pokemon games. You should get ORAS first, as it's the most up to date title providing all the information you need to know now.

Plus, a majority of players really disliked xy.. It wouldn't be a good title to introduce new players to. The game mechanics are the same as ORAS, but the story and content is lacking.

Also, it's more of a learning process. You'll eventually pick up on all the moves and type matchups, it looks complicated but it's really not once you get the hang of things.

I think that is why most people suggest getting the hang of things in X & Y and when they are ready upgrading to ORAS

Except there really isn't nothing to get the hang of in x/y. There are hardly any people on x/y to battle for any learning experience, and you pretty much will get bored of it at some point. Better to have a good impression of pokemon getting the more up-to-date one, than to get the controversally worst title the series has offered.

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Yosheel

X and Y are completely fine starting points. I'm not sure where's the controversy?

Yeah I don’t know either.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DefHalan

MegaBeedrill wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

MegaBeedrill wrote:

I don't agree on trying x and y as your first Pokemon games. You should get ORAS first, as it's the most up to date title providing all the information you need to know now.

Plus, a majority of players really disliked xy.. It wouldn't be a good title to introduce new players to. The game mechanics are the same as ORAS, but the story and content is lacking.

Also, it's more of a learning process. You'll eventually pick up on all the moves and type matchups, it looks complicated but it's really not once you get the hang of things.

I think that is why most people suggest getting the hang of things in X & Y and when they are ready upgrading to ORAS

Except there really isn't nothing to get the hang of in x/y. There are hardly any people on x/y to battle for any learning experience, and you pretty much will get bored of it at some point. Better to have a good impression of pokemon getting the more up-to-date one, than to get the controversally worst title the series has offered.

ORAS can be a confusing experience. It is more difficult to navigate the world. The reason why people think X/Y is going to be easier to jump into. The things to get use to are the normal Pokemon Mechanics. Learning type advantages, TMs & HMs, leveling up, evolving, catching pokemon. All those will be easier to experience in a more linear game such as X/Y. ORAS may be the better game in general but it can be a confusing place. So many advance features that will slow down progression and cause a player to give up before full experiencing the basic gameplay, in my opinion. That is why I recommend starting with X/Y and moving onto ORAS once they are looking a more flushed out experience. To me ORAS is the deep-end where X/Y is the shallow-end, with the rest of the game series in between. For a beginner the shallow-end will probably be best to start at and the deep-end is for more experienced users.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Araquanid

DefHalan wrote:

MegaBeedrill wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

MegaBeedrill wrote:

I don't agree on trying x and y as your first Pokemon games. You should get ORAS first, as it's the most up to date title providing all the information you need to know now.

Plus, a majority of players really disliked xy.. It wouldn't be a good title to introduce new players to. The game mechanics are the same as ORAS, but the story and content is lacking.

Also, it's more of a learning process. You'll eventually pick up on all the moves and type matchups, it looks complicated but it's really not once you get the hang of things.

I think that is why most people suggest getting the hang of things in X & Y and when they are ready upgrading to ORAS

Except there really isn't nothing to get the hang of in x/y. There are hardly any people on x/y to battle for any learning experience, and you pretty much will get bored of it at some point. Better to have a good impression of pokemon getting the more up-to-date one, than to get the controversally worst title the series has offered.

ORAS can be a confusing experience. It is more difficult to navigate the world. The reason why people think X/Y is going to be easier to jump into. The things to get use to are the normal Pokemon Mechanics. Learning type advantages, TMs & HMs, leveling up, evolving, catching pokemon. All those will be easier to experience in a more linear game such as X/Y. ORAS may be the better game in general but it can be a confusing place. So many advance features that will slow down progression and cause a player to give up before full experiencing the basic gameplay, in my opinion. That is why I recommend starting with X/Y and moving onto ORAS once they are looking a more flushed out experience. To me ORAS is the deep-end where X/Y is the shallow-end, with the rest of the game series in between. For a beginner the shallow-end will probably be best to start at and the deep-end is for more experienced users.

I understand that, just I don't think x/y provides the very best impression of a pokemon game. X/Y's story was pretty lackluster, so it may not be engaging for those new to the franchise (or it may be, because they don't realize how much deeper the other games are) and the experience pretty much ends after the E4, wereas oras continues the experience with plenty of online and some offline play in which you can learn from those battles. You learn by losing and realizing your weakpoints, then improving. In X/Y, you'll just breeze through the game and not really learn much from it, only to be wasting time and upgrading to oras or the next games anyway. ORAS is tougher, but it always has something to do in it, while x/y, it's pretty much just E4, and even online doesn't hold up too long since everybody moved to ORAS anyway. Not to mention it's missing content in certain evolutions.

@Morpheel I meant controversally as in, people are constantly arguing whether it is the best, or worst game in the core series. It could leave a "sour taste" for the franchise if the person didn't exactly like their experience. Or in other words, be a bad impression.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

DefHalan

@MegaBeedrill

I think it comes down to how a player learns best. Jumping into the deep end and toughing it out to learn the mechanics, or starting with something simple that doesn't require as much knowledge but doesn't offer as deep of an experience. Personally, I have seen to many people get scared away from games because the game someone introduces them with is to difficult or has to much going on. In my experience starting with something simpler is going to help them want to play more. But it is all opinionated and up to the OP to decide what kind of learning experience they want.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic