Forums

Topic: Has the 3DS started to build a respectable RPG Library?

Posts 61 to 80 of 116

SCRAPPER392

I can understand how Minecraft is an RPG, but there's also no ability for it to ever develop a story based on your actions, so I see no point.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Bankai

SCAR392 wrote:

I can understand how Minecraft is an RPG, but there's also no ability for it to ever develop a story based on your actions, so I see no point.

Minecraft has a very strong narrative. It's one that the player writes for themselves. Play on a multiplayer server, and it even involves interaction with other characters and multiple storylines.

Building a castle in Minecraft is narrative. Heading into the Nether world is narrative. I've head everything from inspirational to depressing stories from Minecraft players. It's the ultimate story making tool,

That's the point about RPGs - a good RPG doesn't have a storyteller dictating to you what your character can and cannot do. A good RPG has the storyteller give you, the player, the tools to explore and be a part of a fantasy world, and then step into the background and let you do your thing.

Edited on by Bankai

SCRAPPER392

How do you see an active story being told by your actions though? I have the game for Xbox, and the tutorial pretty much made me abandon the game immediately because I didn't need to know to to build a hammer by doing it, or even need a hammer for what I was going to do at all, which I saw to be frustrating. Tutorials always piss me off. I know how to do that crap already... So just let me play the damn game... and making me go through the process of 'learning' something I already know how to do and not being able to skip will usually make me quit.
Anyways, I still don't see how a story happens within the game. You have complete control over what happens in the game, sure, but I don't see that as being a story telling element. I could build a farm, a town, a castle, or any of that, but I never see that as being part of a story. I just see it as,'I built a castle, look I have a farm, do you like my town with no people it it buy me? I built a traintrack, too...'

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

SammyOfMobius

Paper Mario Sticker Star, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Denpa Men, Heroes of Ruin, Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, and other RPG's. So yes, I do.

Games I'm playing currently: Legend of Zelda: A Link Betweeen Worlds, Tearaway
Games I'm excited for: Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros. 4, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8
3DS Friend Code: 1719-3467-7677
Nintendo Network ID: SupaSamiStar14

SCRAPPER392

Like I said, I got immediately pissed off at the tutorial because it was trying to teach how to do stuff I didn't want to do, aside from already knowing how to do it besides that. I couldn't skip the tutorial, so I ditched the game all together.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

SCRAPPER392

MultiMariosonic wrote:

Paper Mario Sticker Star, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Denpa Men, Heroes of Ruin, Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, and other RPG's. So yes, I do.

Haven't you heard? Those aren't RPGs. They have a story not designed by you.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Bankai

SCAR392 wrote:

How do you see an active story being told by your actions though? I have the game for Xbox, and the tutorial pretty much made me abandon the game immediately because I didn't need to know to to build a hammer by doing it, or even need a hammer for what I was going to do at all, which I saw to be frustrating. Tutorials always piss me off. I know how to do that crap already... So just let me play the damn game... and making me go through the process of 'learning' something I already know how to do and not being able to skip will usually make me quit.
Anyways, I still don't see how a story happens within the game. You have complete control over what happens in the game, sure, but I don't see that as being a story telling element. I could build a farm, a town, a castle, or any of that, but I never see that as being part of a story. I just see it as,'I built a castle, look I have a farm, do you like my town with no people it it buy me? I built a traintrack, too...'

Narrative:

"A narrative (or story) is any account that presents connected events, and may be organized into various categories: non-fiction (i.e. New Journalism, creative non-fiction, biographies, and historiography); fictionalized accounts of historical events (i.e. anecdotes, myths and legends); and fiction proper (i.e. literature in prose, such as short stories and novels, and sometimes in poetry and drama, although in drama the events are primarily being shown instead of told). Narrative is found in all forms of human creativity and art, including speech, writing, songs, film, television, video games, photography, theatre, and visual arts such as painting, with the modern art movements refusing the narrative in favour of the abstract and conceptual) that describes a sequence of events."

A dance is a narrative. A classical composition is a narrative. A painting is a narrative.

Minecraft is narrative because the process of building something is a series of connected events. Build a castle and the world of Minecraft has gone from not having a castle to having a castle. There's a beginning, middle, and end. It's a story. It's just not a story that's told to you in a linear fashion.

Haven't you heard? Those aren't RPGs. They have a story not designed by you.

Oh good. So I am getting through.

Edited on by Bankai

SCRAPPER392

Ya, but I don't have a reason to build a castle. That's the difference.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Scollurio

I'm still stunned about Barbiegirl and her beliefs. Well it's her opinion and I respect it but I can't in no reality understand it.
Maybe I'm just too "science over religion" to understand it...
Anyways I do believe the 3ds has yet to get many good games not only in the rpg genre but I llanos have no doubt that next year will be big for the 3ds!

There is no knowledge, that is not power.

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0104-5998 | Twitter:

Arminillo

In Mario I want to get Fire powers. I find a fire flower and BAM.

Mario platformer = rpg

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

Bankai

Suicune wrote:

In Mario I want to get Fire powers. I find a fire flower and BAM.

Mario platformer = rpg

You're getting Fire powers because the game conditions you into believing they're a good thing and that you need them for success. The game is telling you to get Fire powers.

Mario platformer = skill tester and only offers you the illusion of choice. Not RPG.

RR529

@WhiteKnight, out of curiosity, have you tried the Denpa Men yet? I believe both the demo & the full game are available in your region now.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

Hokori

RR529 wrote:

@WhiteKnight, out of curiosity, have you tried the Denpa Men yet? I believe both the demo & the full game are available in your region now.

He has a Japanese 3DS so he has a crap ton of demos to try

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of...

HawkeyeWii

I'm not too much of an RPG gamer, but it doesn't seem like there are too many out. On the other hand, you can't look left or right without seeing a (Fighter) game.
Street Fighter
Tekken 3D
Blaz Blue
Dead or Alive
Just to name a few.. Although I still am hoping for a Mortal Kombat game

Wii U username: KitKat_H12 (Unfortunately HawkeyeWii was already taken some how)
Friend Codes3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter:

RR529

HawkeyeWii wrote:

I'm not too much of an RPG gamer, but it doesn't seem like there are too many out. On the other hand, you can't look left or right without seeing a (Fighter) game.
Street Fighter
Tekken 3D
Blaz Blue
Dead or Alive
Just to name a few.. Although I still am hoping for a Mortal Kombat game

Umm... the fighters you just listed are the only fighters on the system. There's certainly more JRPGs on the system than fighters (although there aren't many of them, either).

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

RR529

Oh, glad to hear you like it (Denpa Men) @WhiteKnight!

I just finished off the last of the extra dungeons about an hour ago, myself.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

Nintenyearold

The good news is that even though the 3DS doesn't quite have the huge RPG library the DS had, you can still play all those DS RPG's on your 3DS.

My Site : Nintenyearold.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code : 0946-2267-9354
Wii U : Soon

Twitter:

SMEXIZELDAMAN

No good RPGs yet, no Once Unchained Blades, Etrian Odyssey 4 and Fire Emblem are out it'll be a little better

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic