3DS Forum

Topic: Has the 3DS started to build a respectable RPG Library?

Showing 21 to 40 of 120

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RetroGBHippie92

21. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

Out Now:

  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (JRPG)
  • Tales of the Abyss (JRPG)
  • Heroes of Ruin (Dungeon Crawler)
  • Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance (Action RPG)
  • the Denpa Men: they Came by Wave (JRPG)
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star (JRPG)

Coming Soon:

  • Crimson Shroud (JRPG/RPG. Next Week)
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening (SRPG. February)
  • Etrian Odyssey IV (JRPG. February)

Confirmed For West:

  • Unchained Blades (JRPG)
  • Denpa Men 2 (JRPG)
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Action RPG)

It's no DS lineup, but it appears as if the 3DS is finally starting to build a respectable RPG lineup.

Out of those I own Heroes of Ruin, Tales of the Abyss and The Denpamen: They Came By Wave. I am really enjoying having them in my 3DS Colection and I'm also glad the eShop is being supported with RPGs now as well, last year I was complaining there was none and now we have several good ones. I'd like to include the VC games too you know, I played a few good ones, The Sword of Hope II was brilliant as was Gargoyles Quest if you count that., i'm sure they'll be more, i'm hoping Square Enix releases some VC games so I can play DQ 1&2 and DQ 3, plus the FF/SaGa games too.
I'm gonna get Crimson Shroud next week hopefully, it looks nice from what i've seen, I'll hope to give it a go. I am definitely planning to get The Denpamen 2 when that's released in the west, I am loving They Came by Wave, Denpamen is supposed to be even better because apparently instead of just abeing a dungeon crawling RPG, it'll have an overworld this time and hopefully more content!

Edited on by RetroGBHippie92

My Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB
Currently Playing: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity (3DS) The Denpa Men 2: Beyond The Waves (eShop)
My Backloggery
3DS FC: 2320 6151 3634
Email me at scottharding2005@yahoo.com.au] if you want to join my 3DS buddy list :)

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6151-3634 | Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gamesake

22. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

it appears as if the 3DS is finally starting to build a respectable RPG lineup.

Not really. Right now it's just a bunch of JRPGs.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

23. Posted:

NIntendoForever wrote:

We need a mario and luigi! this time with wario and waluigi

I'm actually surprised a Wario & Waluigi game hasn't happened. It seems like it would be so obvious... I think Hero's of Ruin is probably the best RPG game out for it yet. The new Paper Mario isn't even really an RPG. It's mainly just use stickers that are infinite and push the buttons at the right time, besides the puzzles.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rayword45

24. Posted:

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance had some flaws, but I really enjoyed the game. Denpa Men was really simplistic, Heroes of Ruin was far too flawed to be enjoyable. The rest I haven't tried. Paper Mario is soon to be in my collection, while Tales of the Abyss is a really expensive port.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

25. Posted:

I will say...

on one hand I genuinely don't think it can be called an RPG system in any way, at least for a while. But on the other hand, that's really not a bad selection of RPGs listed at all. I dunno, I feel we're kinda spoiled or just assuming stuff isn't worth it because it isn't considered a masterpiece? Yet at the same time, no? I don't know. GBA is considered Nintendo's handheld RPG machine, ok what did it have within 4 1/2 or so years before it became irrelevent.

-Golden Sun
-Golden Sun: Lost Age
-FE/Sacred Stones if you count that
-FFTA, see above
-Mother 3
-at least one or 2 Atlus games
-Mario and Luigi
-Final Fantasy IV,V,VI Advance
-Final Fantasy 1 and 2
-Tales of Phantasia
-Kingdom Hearts: Card Games
-Phantasy Star Collection
-Breath of Fire 2
-Sword of Mana

ok and now to look stuff up

-Lunar Legend
-Breath of Fire 1
-More Atlus games
-HOW DID I FORGET POKEMON GAMES?!
-Shining Force

yeah. And I know Wii VC prices make a decent amount of those games a joke. So does that make this GBA list worse? I dunno, but regardless, it won't be easy for 3DS to be this good with RPGs that's for sure. Like Final Fantasy 1-6 (3 aside) alone, before you could download them, is pretty decent. But, both Golden Suns, Mother 3, and Tales of Phantasia are among my top 10 favorite RPGs ever, and Mother 3's the best RPG I've ever played.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

26. Posted:

@rayworld45, out of curiosity, why would you say TotA is expensive? Just like any other big 3DS game, it costs $40 new.

Also, you say port as if that's a bad thing. The PS2 original had a very limited release in NA, wasn't even released in EU, and because of that, used copies of the original are expensive. Because of that, I doubt there are many 3DS owners who've played the PS2 version. Also, the only difference between the two versions (besides the 3D) is that the 3DS version has faster loading times, arguably making it the definitive version.

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Tank Hero (AND)

Avatar: Happy Independence Day!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

27. Posted:

As far as I'm concerned the 3DS has yet to have a single RPG released on it.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Barbiegurl777

28. Posted:

Yeah they keep putting more & more rpg's on the system & not everyone is a fan of the rpg genre.

I'd be more happy to see more simulation, adventure, action, & educational types of games as opposed personally even the rthyme games I like a little bit. Hopefully nintendo has got all the rpg's out of there system by now. Sorry... just really tired of seeing alot of games in the rpg category on the 3ds. Really annoying.

With as many rpg games as there are on the 3ds both in the e-shop & on the 3ds I'm pretty sure nintendo or who ever is putting those types of games out they have more than made the rpg fan's happy. Maybe now nintendo & other company's can appeal to the rest of there fan's who like the other genre's for gaming.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Matthew 5:1-12 The Beatitudes (NIV)
Rugrats777 Blog - Discontinued
Colors 3D! My Gallery
MoshiMe: ymmas626
Miiverse: barbiegurl777
Style Savvy Shop Code: B49V44Y38
My Dream Code: 5600-2112-8544
My 3DS Name: Rugrats777

3DS Friend Code: 3480-2549-1588 | Nintendo Network ID: barbiegurl777 | Twitter: rugrats777

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

29. Posted:

By its technical definition, most games are RPGs. Just saying :3

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RetroGBHippie92

30. Posted:

Barbiegurl777 wrote:

Yeah they keep putting more & more rpg's on the system & not everyone is a fan of the rpg genre.

I'd be more happy to see more simulation, adventure, action, & educational types of games as opposed personally even the rthyme games I like a little bit. Hopefully nintendo has got all the rpg's out of there system by now. Sorry... just really tired of seeing alot of games in the rpg category on the 3ds. Really annoying.

With as many rpg games as there are on the 3ds both in the e-shop & on the 3ds I'm pretty sure nintendo or who ever is putting those types of games out they have more than made the rpg fan's happy. Maybe now nintendo & other company's can appeal to the rest of there fan's who like the other genre's for gaming.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

@Barbiegurl777 I know you and you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Now you obviously don't like them, but I know what games you play and they're completely different to what the rest of us play and WE love RPGs. In fact there isn't enough out yet and we want to enjoy those types of games more than anything, anyway why are you worried, it doesn't even sound like you play them anyway so why does it matter to you? There are plenty of Mario games out there if you play them, but you shouldn't hate something just because you think you've had enough, I love RPGs and I hope to see even more. If you find them too difficult, you should at least try an easier one like The Denpamen: They Came By Wave, it is brilliant and I'd think you'd enjoy it, i'm sure you like cute stuff and The Denpamen is a really cute, but brilliant game.

My Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB
Currently Playing: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity (3DS) The Denpa Men 2: Beyond The Waves (eShop)
My Backloggery
3DS FC: 2320 6151 3634
Email me at scottharding2005@yahoo.com.au] if you want to join my 3DS buddy list :)

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6151-3634 | Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

31. Posted:

@RetroGBHippie92, Firstly, I'm surprised I haven't seen you around the Denpa Men thread. You should stop by sometime!

Secondly, gameplay & difficulty has nothing to do with why @Barbiegurl777 doesn't like RPG's. She doesn't like them because of the fantasy/magical themes most have.

With that said, I do fail to understand her argument, because (with the exception of educational & possibly rhythm games) all those genrés she mentions are much more represented on 3DS than RPG's at the moment.

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Tank Hero (AND)

Avatar: Happy Independence Day!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WildMan

32. Posted:

LZBirdboi wrote:

By its technical definition, most games are RPGs. Just saying :3

I've always thought this too..

Mmm Chicken

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Barbiegurl777

33. Posted:

RetroGBHippie92 wrote:

Barbiegurl777 wrote:

Yeah they keep putting more & more rpg's on the system & not everyone is a fan of the rpg genre.

I'd be more happy to see more simulation, adventure, action, & educational types of games as opposed personally even the rthyme games I like a little bit. Hopefully nintendo has got all the rpg's out of there system by now. Sorry... just really tired of seeing alot of games in the rpg category on the 3ds. Really annoying.

With as many rpg games as there are on the 3ds both in the e-shop & on the 3ds I'm pretty sure nintendo or who ever is putting those types of games out they have more than made the rpg fan's happy. Maybe now nintendo & other company's can appeal to the rest of there fan's who like the other genre's for gaming.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

@Barbiegurl777 I know you and you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Now you obviously don't like them, but I know what games you play and they're completely different to what the rest of us play and WE love RPGs. In fact there isn't enough out yet and we want to enjoy those types of games more than anything, anyway why are you worried, it doesn't even sound like you play them anyway so why does it matter to you? There are plenty of Mario games out there if you play them, but you shouldn't hate something just because you think you've had enough, I love RPGs and I hope to see even more. If you find them too difficult, you should at least try an easier one like The Denpamen: They Came By Wave, it is brilliant and I'd think you'd enjoy it, i'm sure you like cute stuff and The Denpamen is a really cute, but brilliant game.

I'm not arguing just for the heck of it. That subject you are wrong on. Not every nintendo fan does like's rpg's though. Hey I'm glad you love rpg's but don't expect me to have the same opinion as you on rpg's.

I don't hate rpg's. I don't like what is put in them. BIG difference. Yeah I actually have played a few rpg's as rental's years ago on different nintendo consoles none on handheld that I'm aware of. But yes I have most certainly played an rpg if I'm not mistaken & i'd love for you to tell me wrong on this but kingdom hearts last time I checked does most certainly qualify as an rpg the same goes for zelda & final fantasy does it not. Are those 3 not in the rpg category because I have played tid bits of those three games & the last time I checked they counted as being in the rpg category. I rented them years ago will never do it again.

I don't like the occult in the rpg's & they heavily put the occult in the rpg's. By buying an rpg & knowing full well it has occultic stuff in it like wizards, witches, magical wons, etc. It's like supporting the dark arts, satan, demon's, etc.

Those of us who are christian & actually believe & read what is in the bible would not buy those types of video games. Regardless. I rented those years ago like kingdom hearts, zelda, etc to see what they were about because when I was in school I'd hear those games being mentioned quite a bit so I got curious after i realized what was in them I wanted nothing more to do with games like that.

You'll find one or two of my games in the rpg category but its very rare. I still have a hard time believing barbie horse riding adventures ds is in that category but surprisilingly enough it is. One of my favorite barbie games in that category. Just weird...

The denpa men has spirits & a shrine in it. I played the demo. That's part of the japanese culture. The japanese may not have a problem with occult in there games like spirits, shrines, etc but I do.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Edited on by Barbiegurl777

Matthew 5:1-12 The Beatitudes (NIV)
Rugrats777 Blog - Discontinued
Colors 3D! My Gallery
MoshiMe: ymmas626
Miiverse: barbiegurl777
Style Savvy Shop Code: B49V44Y38
My Dream Code: 5600-2112-8544
My 3DS Name: Rugrats777

3DS Friend Code: 3480-2549-1588 | Nintendo Network ID: barbiegurl777 | Twitter: rugrats777

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WildMan

34. Posted:

@barbiegurl I'm Christian and I play fantasy rpg's. It's not like you have to believe every single thing the game says about religion or spirituality. Also, Zelda is not a rpg. :-)

Mmm Chicken

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Barbiegurl777

35. Posted:

MrNiceGuy wrote:

@barbiegurl I'm Christian and I play fantasy rpg's. It's not like you have to believe every single thing the game says about religion or spirituality. Also, Zelda is not a rpg. :-)

So what your saying is if the game mocks your religious beliefs than that's just honkey dori? A-Ok. Not.

Who are you trying to kid me or you on zelda not being an rpg. I was born but it wasn't last night.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Matthew 5:1-12 The Beatitudes (NIV)
Rugrats777 Blog - Discontinued
Colors 3D! My Gallery
MoshiMe: ymmas626
Miiverse: barbiegurl777
Style Savvy Shop Code: B49V44Y38
My Dream Code: 5600-2112-8544
My 3DS Name: Rugrats777

3DS Friend Code: 3480-2549-1588 | Nintendo Network ID: barbiegurl777 | Twitter: rugrats777

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

36. Posted:

MrNiceGuy wrote:

LZBirdboi wrote:

By its technical definition, most games are RPGs. Just saying :3

I've always thought this too..

Traditionally, in RPGs you create your own character & story, and choose what kind of weapons & skills you'd have (which would impact your created story). You're literally creating & deciding for yourself what your role in the game world is.

Since you don't have any say in what roles Mario, Peach, or Bowser play in a Mario platformer for example, it's not an RPG, despite the fact that you are playing the "role" of Mario.

You don't make your own story or characters in a JRPG either though, and that's actually what seperates them from RPGs. They still retain some things though, such as an exp based leveling system, and myriad of equipment (although, unlike an RPG, your choice of equipment doesn't effect narrative). they were created because consoles originally couldn't handle the openness of true RPGs, but have now evolved into their own genré with extravagant stories.

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Tank Hero (AND)

Avatar: Happy Independence Day!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WildMan

37. Posted:

@barbiegurl I don't really want an argument, but I have yet to play a game that mocks Christianity..

Mmm Chicken

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Barbiegurl777

38. Posted:

@MrNiceGuy

What ever. You have your opinion's & I have mine. Good day to you.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Matthew 5:1-12 The Beatitudes (NIV)
Rugrats777 Blog - Discontinued
Colors 3D! My Gallery
MoshiMe: ymmas626
Miiverse: barbiegurl777
Style Savvy Shop Code: B49V44Y38
My Dream Code: 5600-2112-8544
My 3DS Name: Rugrats777

3DS Friend Code: 3480-2549-1588 | Nintendo Network ID: barbiegurl777 | Twitter: rugrats777

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RetroGBHippie92

39. Posted:

Guys, don't force this thread to be locked. You are entitled to you're opinion and beliefs, but it doesn't make them right or wrong. Please continue with discussion appropriate to the thread's subject, please @BarbieGurl777 Stop trolling everyone.

Edited on by RetroGBHippie92

My Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB
Currently Playing: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity (3DS) The Denpa Men 2: Beyond The Waves (eShop)
My Backloggery
3DS FC: 2320 6151 3634
Email me at scottharding2005@yahoo.com.au] if you want to join my 3DS buddy list :)

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6151-3634 | Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

40. Posted:

Well if Skyrim, Fallout, Mass Effect, etc. games like that are RPGs, than so is Zelda. I think people get mixed up up between turn based, and action oriented RPGs. There's just not as much customiztion in Zelda games compared to those, if any, but there is times when you have to hit an enemy more than once to 'kill' it, which is an RPG element. Same with using a potion to heal in a more action packed situation. Switching weapons in COD could even count as an RPG element...

$¢@®³’²