Forums

Topic: Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley

Posts 261 to 279 of 279

Eel

I believe they're the same size.

Other than the obvious case of them being completely different in terms of the starting state of the terrain, the other two big changes are the addition of the Skytrees and different entrances at different locations.

Notably, there's far fewer mines to find, although two of the three have multiple rooms to explore.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ollietaro

Oh I see. Which game's valley do you prefer? Unlocking Fall is a b----. On Tuesday I needed to get ores refined but it was a fishing contest day meaning I had from 4-6pm to catch Brutus but I caught him at 6:02pm and he wouldn't let me refine so I have to wait til Friday but I'm a good boy going to bed early LOL just to get to Friday I just wanna get this story-line over with so I can focus on unlocking mutations. I'm trying to unlock Crimsons now and so I had to almost dig to the centre of the earth LOL

Edited on by ollietaro

ollietaro

ollietaro

At first, I was gonna marry Catherine but then I thought, I can't relate to this rich person who has no respect for my character so I'm going to go with April or Emily. Catherine can be alone in Moon Valley forever lol

ollietaro

ollietaro

Really? Why is that?

ollietaro

Eel

It could be the way you get all the valley to explore and tools to shape a good chunck of it right from day one in this game, while in SV you slowly unlock it and the ability to shape it.

The overall design of the lost valley feels a bit more comfortable, while the land of the Skytrees has large lakes, narrow paths and uneven terrain. Also, all the interesting places are close by in the top left corner of the map.

Also, the Skytrees are permanently placed in the map.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

ollietaro

Can you imagine a completely walled, labyrinthine valley in this game if one really took the time to combine aesthetic decoration (like paths) along with terraforming that it could really make for endless creativity. I know it's best to focus on either terraforming or crop mutations and I am kind of obsessed with finishing the story so I can start unlocking mutation seeds. I kind of want to make drastic changes to the valley while still maintaining its original form like keeping the river where it is because I don't want it looking too man-made, you know?

ollietaro

Eel

Oh yeah, even with the limited terraforming, the possibilities are plenty.

A nicely designed labyrinth that still retains functionality and aesthetics. That would be quite a thing to behold.

Imagine if we could visit others farms.

Bloop.

Freelance

Would love to see your labyrinth if you ever decide to do it.

Yes, the TLV valley offered a lot more customization because it didn't have huge lakes covering the bottom half of the map. That's not to say you can't be creative as well with SV's valley though. I think I'm doing pretty well with what I've come up with so far, although I don't think it's a big accomplishment as it was a lot easier to make with the upgraded tools. In TLV, I had to do everything one tile at a time, so it made me feel prouder about my accomplishments, especially with that mega wall I made. I just made me feel more rewarding; it was a lot more tedious work.

One good thing about SV's valley though is that there is far less rocky terrain.

Edited on by Freelance

Freelance

ollietaro

I imagine the visiting others' farms concept went the way of the stereoscopic 3D in this title but the binoculars feature seems to have made it easy for users to post pics of their valley. So in SV you can terraform more than one block at a time?

How do you manage getting mutations, though? Do you aim to get them all that particular season? Right now, I'm a few days before (Restored) Spring and there are several mutations to get from base crops alone including Pumpkins, Hot Peppers, White Berries, and Tulips which all require growing 50 of to unlock the seeds, not to mention other crops that unlock after selling 30. This Winter, I am trying to unlock Crimsons so I planted 40 Tomatoes (16 at HE-16, 16 at HE-14, and 8 at HE-12) and I'm close to about 35 Crimsons so I'm worried that if I don't make the 50 threshold, I would have to wait until the next Winter to unlock 'em. If I have to plant 40 Pumpkins and 40 Hot Peppers for Spring to unlock their mutations, I think I would go insane b/c the harvesting animation is slow and the watering square-by-square... (Did anybody here manage to unlock the patchy soil-only Purple Potatoes?)

ollietaro

Freelance

@ollietaro

"So in SV you can terraform more than one block at a time?"

Yes.

"How do you manage getting mutations, though?"

I don't.

Freelance

Eel

To get a particular mutation in this game, the beat way to go about it is to focus on that particular plant and only that one until you unlock the mutation seeds.

It should take you about 10-15 days for most crops. Which gives you time for about two or three mutations per month.

In SV, since you can take care of considerably more crops, you can multi task easily with them.

Here, regrowing crops that mutated will always give the mutated crop. And those that didn't will never do, so get rid of them and plant them again.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

ollietaro

So you think going after all the available mutations in one month would be overkill? With my Tomatoes, for example, it appeared that more of them mutated over time but I could be wrong (and it's too late to plant more, it's like Winter 25 now). You are saying that once it grows its first Tomato, that it will never produce a Crimson? It has to mutate within the plant-seed-through-to-the-first-crop phase and that's it? So I should have tilled it and planted another to see if it would mutate at the first sighting of a Tomato?

I feel like the upgraded watering can in SV is an update TLV could have easily had but was saved for the sequel. I've committed to TLV right now and I don't have the patience to play through another story nor the cash to buy SV at the moment just for easier mutation seed unlocks. I will make do and perhaps make it easier on myself by unlocking seeds bit by bit.

ollietaro

ollietaro

@Freelance So if you don't bother to unlock mutations, you can't complete requests later on and aren't some requests necessary for materials to construct your valley?

ollietaro

Freelance

Doc and Brutus are the only characters that unlock constructions, and they never ask for crops.

Freelance

Eel

@ollietaro now that you mention it, I'm having second thoughts.

I know for certain that already mutated crops will stay that way.... But now I'm not sure of non-mutated crops can mutate after their first harvest. I would need to confirm it in game.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

ollietaro

Okay. Question: Does a stream of water have to be on the same elevation as the soil to affect it?

ollietaro

Eel

No, but big differences in elevation do affect it.

As a tip, surrounding a landmass with water seems to keep the soil inside lush, and surrounding it with floor tiles, keeps it dry.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

ollietaro

Thank you, Meowpheel. Seeing your updated holiday profile pic makes me ALMOST want to "holidize" my own Great Ace Attorney GIF.

ollietaro

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.