Forums

Topic: Gameplay/Graphics: what's it to you?

Posts 101 to 120 of 133

RoyalBlur

Good exquisite game graphics are everything to me! And no my eyes don't often hurt from computers and prolonged game play although I do try to go outside and get good clean fresh air and exercise.

Edited on by RoyalBlur

Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant? Isaiah 42:19

My Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/royalusher

3DS FC: 2234-7146-6576

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

theblackdragon

WaltzElf wrote:

You can apply that to anything, though. Spending too much time in front of ANY screen is bad for developing eyes.

I'm not saying 3D isn't a potential risk, but in moderation, I don't think the typical child is going to suffer

'moderation' is the key word, there -- yes, we all got those long warnings packaged in with every game while growing up about not playing for too long and be careful if you're sensitive to bright flashing lights and blah-blah-blah, but how many of us really paid any attention to that? and how many of our parents actually came in once an hour to remind us to do something else for fifteen minutes before playing again (i think that's what the recommendation was last i paid attention to it lol)? 3D images messing with your depth perception is a trickier thing than just staring at a 2D image for prolonged periods of time, i would think; if kids were to play a 3D game for as long as they'll sit in front of a television or their DS watching a 2D show/playing a 2D game, it could do more damage to developing eyes.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

LzWinky

Hardy83 wrote:

HolyMackerel wrote:

@Hardy83 Has it been confirmed that the 3DS has a weaker graphics processor than devices already on the market? Its graphics look fantastic to me. Got proof? (Not disagreeing, just interested to see the evidence.)

http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/112/1122613p1.html

It's actually not much different from the PSP, but there are some key things that make a huge graphical difference.

It does have slightly stronger processors, but the thing that makes it is the GPU. It let's the 3DS produce superior lighting and stuff. That's why Resident evil looks so good, but to be honest, without the lighting, I think it would only look slightly better then a PSP game (Look at God of War Ghost of Sparta if you want an example of a PSP game that easily looks as good as anything we've seen on the 3DS)

Course then again, through time the games will look better, but it's already inferior to most Smartphones.
Now I'm not saying the 3DS fails, it looks good, fantastic even with some games, but it'll look outdated sooner rather then later. Graphics aren't everything but they do play a part.

But when it comes out, it'll sure look nice, but there are some handhelds (phones included) that look better then the 3DS already. I think Epics Citadel for the app store is a good example of (at least) Apple's devices already surpassing the 3DS graphically. (For the 10 minutes you can play it. lol Battery tech is the most out of date thing in all handheld devices)

Don't take this as me hating the system, I'll probably get one when it does it's first hardware revision.
I also think Smartphones will start pumping out the same 3D tech the 3DS uses by the end of next year or early 2012. Though I'm hoping they can find SOME glasses free tech for home TVs soon, or at least use the tech where we don't need $300 glasses, just the cheap ones theaters use.

Nintendo's handhelds have ALWAYS looked inferior graphically to the other gadgets on the market, yet they were always successful

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

irken004

Untitled
Untitled
The top screenshot was from the 1999 version. The bottom screenshot is from the latest edition available on the 360/PS3/PC

ItsFuzzyPickles

@Hardy83: Regarding your argument about the graphics being equally as important as game play, this I totally disagree on. As almost every core gamer would agree on, game play is what makes a game fun and what convinces most core gamers to anticipate it in the first place. Sure visuals should not be neglected you emphasize on, but I don't think it's as important as the game play. I agree that if games looks like last gen that it's a problem and hits the quality of the game overall, but I'm fine with a game looking that it's hitting the mid-level of a console as long as the game is enjoyable in itself.

Also, graphics =/= the power of the console. They can be a good indicator of how powerful a console can be (At least a top-notch looking game), but not a sole judge of a system.

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

irken004 wrote:

Untitled
Untitled
The top screenshot was from the 1999 version. The bottom screenshot is from the latest edition available on the 360/PS3/PC

You sure theyre not from the same game? Asside from some prettier gun models, I can't tell the freakin' difference.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

Super Smash Bros. Fan1999 wrote:

@Hardy83: Regarding your argument about the graphics being equally as important as game play, this I totally disagree on. As almost every core gamer would agree on, game play is what makes a game fun and what convinces most core gamers to anticipate it in the first place.

Unless everyone I know is weird, pretty graphics seem to be what draws the most attention. You can't truly appreciate the gameplay until you play the game, but great graphics just need a quick glance to impress. Plus, from my understanding, while it is gameplay that makes the experience fun, it's good graphics and music emphasize that to make the experience epic. Just saying.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Gamesake

WaltzElf wrote:

Aviator wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

in moderation

There is your problem.

Well, exactly. Drinking too much water will kill you, but it's not something people panic about, is it?

It's not just people, Nintendo is worried too. That's why they gave the warning for children under 7. 3-D viewing won't kill you but it could give you an irreversible eye disorder. Remember when people said video games could help kids train hand-eye coordination? Now video games could help kids train Amblyopia(Lazy eye).

But if you want to throw caution to the wind you might want to look into buying some Gunnar Optiks. http://www.gunnars.com/technology/technology_lensgeometry.php Since I don't know any kid (and few adults) who could moderate themselves to an hour of gaming. I don't know how effective gamer glasses are though and they cost a lot.

...in my pants.

Bankai

Nintendo has to "be worried" or it would face a PR backlash, or even lawsuits.

It's put warnings in it's products since forever for that reason.

If 3D was "that" much of a potential risk, then only an unethical company would put out a 3D product. I personally don't believe Sony and Nintendo are unethical companies, so I'm going to believe that 3D is perfectly safe in moderation until i've seen qualified proof to suggest otherwise.

In short: relax. Nintendo is not an unsafe company by nature.

gatygun

Graphics is a part of the player experience therefor gameplay = graphics just as much as gameplay = story or sound etc etc.

You cant divide them

Edited on by gatygun

gatygun

Splat

irken004 wrote:

Gameplay > graphics

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

Kingbuilder

Splat wrote:

irken004 wrote:

Gameplay > graphics

Graphics honestly don't matter to me. I still think that Yars' Revenge for the Atari 2600 is one of the best games ever made.

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

irken004

Mickeymac wrote:

irken004 wrote:

Untitled
Untitled

You sure theyre not from the same game? Asside from some prettier gun models, I can't tell the freakin' difference.

They are the same games, but the newer one was "updated" with new graphics, gameplay modes, etc.
Because of the game's memorable gameplay and 3 different campaigns, they decided to release the updated version in the honor of the old version. Kinda like how there is now 2 Goldeneye games.

Not to mention the older Aliens Versus Predator game is $4.99, compared to the new version being $50 or more

CanisWolfred

irken004 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

irken004 wrote:

Untitled
Untitled

They are the same games, but the newer one was "updated" with new graphics, gameplay modes, etc.
Because of the game's memorable gameplay and 3 different campaigns, they decided to release the updated version in the honor of the old version. Kinda like how there is now 2 Goldeneye games.

Not to mention the older Aliens Versus Predator game is $4.99, compared to the new version being $50 or more

Yeah but...both of them look equally good, too.

Besides "Comemorrate" just means they took a popular game and made another game that was similar to it, and coincidentally all 4 games you mentioned also happen to be based on fairly popular or cult franschises.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

gatygun

irken004 wrote:

Untitled
Untitled

pc version:
Untitled
http://img403.imageshack.us/i/avpdx11aufmacher.png

somehow img thing doesn't work. so do it manual

Dunno what you did with the other picture, but that aint the 2010 version sorry.

Edited on by gatygun

gatygun

Kingbuilder

Mickeymac wrote:

Kingbuilder wrote:

Splat wrote:

irken004 wrote:

Gameplay > graphics

Graphics honestly don't matter to me. I still think that Yars' Revenge for the Atari 2600 is one of the best games ever made.

You sure that's not just Nostalgia talking?

I've only had the game for a few years, so I doubt it.

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

CanisWolfred

Kingbuilder wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Kingbuilder wrote:

Splat wrote:

irken004 wrote:

Gameplay > graphics

You sure that's not just Nostalgia talking?

I've only had the game for a few years, so I doubt it.

I doubt it, too. It looks pretty great, and I don't mean the graphics. But that does remind me why I used to consider Pong the perfect game. No fluff, just gameplay. Granted, Bit.Trip Beat has long since dethrowned it, along with loads of other games, but for a while it was the single most pure and replayable game I had ever experienced.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.