Forums

Topic: First Handheld since the GBA SP. Game suggestions please!

Posts 1 to 9 of 9

ScarletKnight41

Hello everyone, I just ordered a refurbished 3DS (the purple one, $109, couldn't beat it) direct from Nintendo, I haven't owned a handheld since the GBA SP (My first was the Gameboy brick, yes I am old )

I am a bit on a tight budget, and already have Pokemon X (the reason I bought the system). I am planning on getting OOT 3d soon as well.

What other games would you suggest? They can be either DS or 3DS, I like RPGS (especially ones where you can explore). I am open to pretty much any genre as long as the game is high quality. Story and character as well as a great "world" is what I tend to love in games.

I was thinking of the Professor Layton series, should I start at the beginning,
Same with Fire Emblem. I've never played one, start with the DS versions? Or does it not matter?

ScarletKnight41

GuSolarFlare

I can tell you that Fire Emblem Awakening has a few references to previous ones but none of them is important to understand the plot(so far that I reached) MH3U is a great one if you're into ARPGs, Professor layton requires understanding the story from previous games, also, like I've said many times to many people, if you like RPGs you can't go wrong with Atlus, now there's also Rune Factory 4 that's a mix of Harvest Moon and fantasy RPG, Mario & Luigi Dream Team is also well received. I heard that Ace Attorney Dual Destinies is a good starting point to this series(recommending it since you asked about Professor Layton they give a very similar feeling though they're completely different in their main aspects)

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

OdnetninAges

Hmm!
Proffesor Layton is a good puzzle game series. I do recommend starting with the first one, which is called "Proffesor Layton and the Curious Village".
As for Fire Emblem, I recommend you start with Awakening on 3DS. It has a casual mode you can sink into at first, and then you can create a save file on classic when your ready. (Casual - When units die, you get them back later. Classic - When units die, you lose them forever.)

I'm not sure what to recommend in terms of RPG other than Pokemon and Fire Emblem, though. The only RPGs I've really played are Mario & Luigi, The World Ends with You, and Project X Zone, and I think those count more like "JRPGs" than "RPGs".

Kid Icarus: Uprising is by far one of the best games on 3DS right now, IMO. I definitely recommend it as well. It has a pretty big "world" to explore.

The eShop is a pretty good place to look for games, too. It literally has games of about every genre that you can purchase and download to your 3DS, so definitely check that out, too.

Console Usernames: Rc

HIGH QUALITY VIDEO GAME RIPS

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

My Anime List

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

ScarletKnight41

Thank you for the suggestions!

I think I am going to pick up Rune Factory 4, I love the Harvest Moon series and that sounds like an interesting twist. Fire Emblem as well at some point.

ScarletKnight41

GuSolarFlare

OdnetninAges wrote:

Hmm!
Proffesor Layton is a good puzzle game series. I do recommend starting with the first one, which is called "Proffesor Layton and the Curious Village".
As for Fire Emblem, I recommend you start with Awakening on 3DS. It has a casual mode you can sink into at first, and then you can create a save file on classic when your ready. (Casual - When units die, you get them back later. Classic - When units die, you lose them forever.)

I'm not sure what to recommend in terms of RPG other than Pokemon and Fire Emblem, though. The only RPGs I've really played are Mario & Luigi, The World Ends with You, and Project X Zone, and I think those count more like "JRPGs" than "RPGs".

Kid Icarus: Uprising is by far one of the best games on 3DS right now, IMO. I definitely recommend it as well. It has a pretty big "world" to explore.

The eShop is a pretty good place to look for games, too. It literally has games of about every genre that you can purchase and download to your 3DS, so definitely check that out, too.

forgot completely to mention the Eshop! there you'll find lot's of cheaper(and smaller too) games I like many of them and there are also lots of creative games that should get more attention than they've got. I'd recommend to you Crimson Shroud it is a tribute to classic "table RPGs" with dices and all pretty good game!

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Jazzer94

Kid Icarus Uprising a very good on-rails shooter/3rd person adventure game with a well written plot a deep weapon customization system as well as a fun battle mode that can be played by yourself against bots, local or online. Dead or Alive Dimensions is also a good choice if you like fighting games as well as SSF43D.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Ash_Anne

You can also download demos from the eShop for some of the games that the other comments suggested such as Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem. How good is the condition of the refurbished system from Nintendo? I've wondered that for awhile. My brother wants a 3ds but he doesn't have the money for a brand new one.

3DS Friend code: 1203-9222-1363
Twitter: Ash_Hose

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.