3DS Forum

Topic: Fire Emblem: Casual or Classic?

Showing 1 to 20 of 84

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Scollurio

1. Posted:

Sorry I know there is a Fire Emblem post there, but I honestly don't want to shuffle through the countless pages because

a) too lazy
b) I don't want to trip over any spoilers since I am getting the game in April (PAL Region here)

I was just wondering, since I am replaying the Fire Emblem on the GBA at the moment, loving every second of it, if I should go CASUAL or PERMA DEATH CLASSIC mode in the upcoming FE:Awakening? Does it have any consequences if I just go casual? Because I find myself so much in love with the characters in Fire Emblem on GBA that whenever I lose a unit, I restart the whole chapter replaying single chapters over and over again, dumping ridiculous amounts of time into it.

So, any advice - please SPOILER FREE - you can give me?
Help is appreciated. Thank you!

If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough...

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0104-5998

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BenAV

2. Posted:

I also don't have the game yet, but I'll definitely be going for Perma Death.
It's how Fire Emblem's meant to be.
Trying to get through the stages without letting any units die adds another layer of strategy to the game and I expect that it'd all be a little too easy if you can just run in hard and let a bunch of units die just for them to be brought back again at the end of the level.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club - Club Name: Teikoku | Club ID: EF002F9BC

3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Maskeraid

3. Posted:

The consequence of casual is that you can't say you're good at the game at all. And full survival means nothing.

My Maskloggery
[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

"He say oogly? What means that, oogly?"
"Grr... He means your face would frighten small children! Now be quiet!"

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9222-4787 | Nintendo Network ID: Happy_Masked_Man

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

4. Posted:

Happy_Mask wrote:

The consequence of casual is that you can't say you're good at the game at all. And full survival means nothing.

Yup. Casual mode is for wimps. :3

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheLilK98

5. Posted:

Classic. I just beat the game on hard+classic a few minutes ago, and it makes the game so much more rewarding.@BenAV My thoughts exactly. The game was designed with permadeath as a main feature. It's how the game is ment to be.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter: TheKman98

AuthorMessage
Avatar

invmat

6. Posted:

I'm somewhat in the same situation as you. Since I live in Europe I'm also getting the game in April.

I love permadeath with solid saves (like FE: Radiant Dawn).

That's why I'm also unsure which option to chose. I think I'll go for casual, but whenever somebody dies, I'll simply restart the game. I guess that's the best option to simulate the Radiant Dawn experience.

My Wii FC´s

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SheldonRandoms

7. Posted:

If it's your first time (which I know isn't yours) then you should choose casual, then if you want a harder challenge, then choose classic the second time. I chose casual first, because I want to see the difference when I play it again on classic later, but at least i'll be more ready for that, that's a good thing, but there's just two characters that I don't wan't to get killed though........I mean, four characters..........five...........maybe six................seven at most........

I liked to rev up those fryers, I play games, I can't draw good, but I make stick figures named Sheldon and Mr. Randoms.

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0402-4645 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Klimbatize

8. Posted:

Scollurio wrote:

Does it have any consequences if I just go casual?

To actually answer your question--you will see all the same stuff, can unlock all the same characters, etc., so no, there are no consequences.

Well, except for people on the internet to say you suck at a video game for choosing one of the in-game features.

It is a very different game on Casual, however, because you will not put nearly as much thought into battle decisions, so the difficulty level of Casual (even on Lunatic) is nowhere near that of Classic. I played a few levels on Casual to see if I would like it, and I found I did not because it does take away nearly all the tension and pressure of the battles.

If you want a greater challenge, go Classic. However, I can see how Classic could become very frustrating for some players and turn them off to the game. It's good that developers decided to include Casual mode so more people could try out the game. Awakening is the best game to come out on the 3DS (in my opinion) so I'm glad it's been made more accessible. Either way you play, you'll enjoy it.

  A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

www.Retrodrome.net
Top 64 Nintendo 64 games of all time
 
 

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Scollurio

9. Posted:

Happy_Mask wrote:

The consequence of casual is that you can't say you're good at the game at all. And full survival means nothing.

LOL!
To the point! ;)
Haha.

If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough...

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0104-5998

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Scollurio

10. Posted:

BenAV wrote:

I also don't have the game yet, but I'll definitely be going for Perma Death.
It's how Fire Emblem's meant to be.
Trying to get through the stages without letting any units die adds another layer of strategy to the game and I expect that it'd all be a little too easy if you can just run in hard and let a bunch of units die just for them to be brought back again at the end of the level.

I've not seen it from this perspective obviously! Thank you!

If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough...

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0104-5998

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Scollurio

11. Posted:

MetallicDonkey wrote:

Scollurio wrote:

Does it have any consequences if I just go casual?

To actually answer your question--you will see all the same stuff, can unlock all the same characters, etc., so no, there are no consequences.

Well, except for people on the internet to say you suck at a video game for choosing one of the in-game features.

It is a very different game on Casual, however, because you will not put nearly as much thought into battle decisions, so the difficulty level of Casual (even on Lunatic) is nowhere near that of Classic. I played a few levels on Casual to see if I would like it, and I found I did not because it does take away nearly all the tension and pressure of the battles.

If you want a greater challenge, go Classic. However, I can see how Classic could become very frustrating for some players and turn them off to the game. It's good that developers decided to include Casual mode so more people could try out the game. Awakening is the best game to come out on the 3DS (in my opinion) so I'm glad it's been made more accessible. Either way you play, you'll enjoy it.

Thank you!
Thank you all!
Made up my mind.
Im replaying plenty of missions on the GBA game and saw it as a chore, but if I'd lose that sense of accomplishment or that sense of threat to my beloved characters if all my turns didn't have a solid consequence (i.e. poor move kills my fav. char) it wouldn't be the same. Too many games get casualized for the masses without any option to play them "hardcore". I should be thankfull that FE still offers this challenge and embrace it. Which I will do.

Thank you folks, I made up my mind.

If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough...

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0104-5998

AuthorMessage
Avatar

I-U

12. Posted:

Once I finally decide to sit down with Awakening, I'll be doing Casual mode as this is my first Fire Emblem game. Perma death really isn't my preference for any kind of game, even more so in a game that's less about my skill and more so about the build of my characters. I also think it'll be fun to be more open with my strategies for battles, see what all can work and what can't, as I won't be worrying about losing a character.

Favorite Game: Metroid Prime Hunters

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Scollurio

13. Posted:

I-U wrote:

Once I finally decide to sit down with Awakening, I'll be doing Casual mode as this is my first Fire Emblem game. Perma death really isn't my preference for any kind of game, even more so in a game that's less about my skill and more so about the build of my characters. I also think it'll be fun to be more open with my strategies for battles, see what all can work and what can't, as I won't be worrying about losing a character.

My first FE game was the one on the GBA, the first one and I can tell you it's really more about your turn-choices and tactical thinking than actual character build. Sure if you run around with only iron weapons when everyone else has silver already or your characters lack several levels behind, sure you could be in trouble. But otherwise I've yet to find a game thats so accessible compared to its depth of strategy. For some people it looks like simple rock/paper/scissor game at first but after a few hours in you realize with all the factors like environment, character classes, relationships, weapon triangle, spell triangle, etc... it's more like chess on crack. And I love it.

I can understand your need to go casual at first, but I have to agree to the other posters above me, if I would have played my first FE (the GBA one) which only HAS permadeath and no other option, in casual mode (if it had it) I wouldn't have been as emotionally touched as I was/am. It's really stiring up big emotions. I just lost Marcus that day. Darn...

If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough...

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0104-5998

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

14. Posted:

Classic, for sure. EO4 shouldn't be played on casual difficulty either. It takes away from the experience.

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Shiromikio

15. Posted:

I'll admit to being a wimp and playing on Casual, lol. It's my first FE game and strategy RPGs are usually not my cup of tea (I sorely lack the patience for them, but FE:A is awesome so far) so still getting used to the flow of battle. I like being able to experiment with different battle formations without risking the loss of a character trained up to a higher level. So I'd say Classic for people who like the challenge and suspense, Casual if more interested in the characters/experiencing the story and relatively new to FE.

Playlist: FE:A, HM:ANB
Quickplay: HarmoKnight

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Birdman

16. Posted:

Casual for me. I don't have the time to devote to the never-slack-off-for-a-second mentality and restart-because-that-unit-died-because-you-didn't-think resets needed to be successful at later levels. Call me a gaming wimp, but I just can't work on a Classic play through (even on Normal) right now.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

AuthorMessage
Avatar

lightbringer

17. Posted:

It's not FE for me if I'm not playing classic. It's a FE staple and gives the game greater strategic value.

Unless you're playing on Lunatic, then casual is forgiven. :D

"This sword shall always be the sword of the oppressed. I swear it again now!"

3DS Friend Code: 1778-9775-6886

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

18. Posted:

Casual. Permadeath just makes things more frustrating, not fun.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheConsonant

19. Posted:

I say permadeath is how Fire Emblem is supposed to be played. It promotes different and more difficult strategies making the game a lot more satisfying for me. If you feel like permadeath is too difficult you don't have to feel bad about playing casual, you won't get any respect from anyone else though.

TheConsonant

Twitter: Divine_King_K

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Konata

20. Posted:

Since it was my first time playing the series I decided to go Casual.
On my second go at it I'm gonna go Classic.

I would really suggest Classic... Unless you want a more laid-back experience like I did with Casual.

I'm sorrryy I keep disappearing >_<.
Visit my K-Pop lair!
My favorite k-pop songs Come Listen!

3DS Friend Code: 5284-2709-9903 | Nintendo Network ID: Ariana900 | Twitter: SherrSamala