3DS Forum

Topic: Famitsu Has Reviewed Some 3DS Games.....

Showing 41 to 60 of 67

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Highwinter

41. Posted:

Dragoon Trainer wrote:

Trolls. Trolls everywhere.
On topic, I think those scores are pretty promising. And you can't really judge a magazine solely because they gave a game you didn't like a perfect score. It's opinions, people.

Yet you'll judge me as a troll because I disagree with your opinions?

Like I said, I'm disregarding their reviews because of how their score and advertisement methods work, in my opinion it makes them biased and untrustworthy and as someone who isn't in love with every facet of Japanese culture, I'll admit that their views probably don't mesh with mine anyway.

Highwinter

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

42. Posted:

You can't really expect western magazines to buy into a very Eastern centric game like Samurai/Dynasty Warriors, especially considering in terms of being a game.. it's sloppy, dated and remained pretty much untouched for the past decade, which is where my criticise are coming from.

I can certainly expect a magazine to act like a professional publication and try and understand the point of a game. As I said. That's a basic rule of journalism. I'm talking day one of university-level basic.

That's not "buying into" the game. That's understanding what the game is about. I have read reviews in western "professional" publications (and I'm talking the likes of IGN and Gamespot) that talk about Chinese histroy when reviewing a Samurai Warriors game. I've read reviews from people that have clearly not even played the game. Warriors games are mishandled in the West because, as niche games with limited traffic-gathering ability, reviewers are not allowed the time to properly analyse the games.

As for your "criticse," (sic) it's flat out incorrect. The Warriors series has evolved a great deal over the years. Certainly as much, if not more than the likes of Zelda or Call of Duty have evolved.

I'm not denying the likes of Peace Walker or Monster Hunter are great games, but even if you consider them amongst your favourite games ever, could you honestly say they're 100% perfect and without flaws?

I can personally pick as many, if not more flaws in Mario Galaxy than either of those games. But this isn't about my personal opinion. This is about your assumption that Famitsu can be "bought off" by advertisers (which is a very serious ethical charge to attack a publication with, btw). From the year or so I've been reading Famitsu, I see no evidence of that whatsoever.

EDGE tend to review games from a technical perspective. Just because they give something a low score, doesn't necessarily mean they don't understand the culturally significance behind it. A game can have a great story, character development, underlying messages, or whatever else.. But if it's a bad game, it's still a bad game.

A great game is more than how technically advanced it is. That's one of the major failings of all western publications. They don't consider the sum of all parts.

as someone who isn't in love with every facet of Japanese culture,

If you think that describes me, you've got the wrong idea about me. Might be a good idea to start thinking before you post, or at least stop making silly assumptions and passing them off as your "opinions," and therefore valid. So far you've made a bunch of opinions that are factually incorrect.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

43. Posted:

And with that, let's try to get this topic back on track and put an end to personal sniping. Productive discussions are one thing, but this is leaning in a very different direction.

Thanks in advance for everybody's cooperation.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

44. Posted:

The excerpt of the SSF4 review sounds good, though I wonder if instantly being able to do charge attacks won't tip the balance since I'd assume they should take longer to pull off (I never play charge characters, so I'm not exactly sure how long you typically have to charge).

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Highwinter

45. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

A great game is more than how technically advanced it is. That's one of the major failings of all western publications. They don't consider the sum of all parts.

Indeed, but I think you've missed my point. A game doesn't need to be advanced or a graphical powerhouse, it's more about how the all gameplay mechanics mesh together and how fluid it all feels. Like I said, the criticisms that reviewers over here give to games like Dynasty Warriors are because the gameplay just isn't very exciting.. (for them at least) and even if a game has a great story, the gameplay should still be the number 1 aspect that's judged. It may still appeal to SOME players, but I don't think that warrants good scores. Like you've been saying, reviewers should look at the broader picture and not just their own personal tastes. Even if you like aspects of the game (which I DO!) there are flaws that can't just be overlooked. A review should list good and bad points.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend the likes of IGN or Gamespot but I do think you're being just as unfair to these reviewers as you claim they're being to Dynasty Warriors. I'm also not claiming it's a bad series, just using it as an example.

WaltzElf wrote:

]If you think that describes me, you've got the wrong idea about me. Might be a good idea to start thinking before you post, or at least stop making silly assumptions and passing them off as your "opinions," and therefore valid. So far you've made a bunch of opinions that are factually incorrect.

That certainly wasn't directed at you (or anyone else inparticular) just a general statement about the cultural differences. In fact, you're probably the most level headed and fair poster I've seen on these forums. I just don't necessarily agree with you here :)

But I don't think there's much point in continuing to argue these same points, I think we've detailed the thread enough.

Edited on by Highwinter

Highwinter

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

46. Posted:

Indeed, but I think you've missed my point. A game doesn't need to be advanced or a graphical powerhouse, it's more about how the all gameplay mechanics mesh together and how fluid it all feels. Like I said, the criticisms that reviewers over here give to games like Dynasty Warriors are because the gameplay just isn't very exciting.. (for them at least) and even if a game has a great story, the gameplay should still be the number 1 aspect that's judged. It may still appeal to SOME players, but I don't think that warrants good scores. Like you've been saying, reviewers should look at the broader picture and not just their own personal tastes. Even if you like aspects of the game (which I DO!) there are flaws that can't just be overlooked. A review should list good and bad points.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend the likes of IGN or Gamespot but I do think you're being just as unfair to these reviewers as you claim they're being to Dynasty Warriors. I'm also not claiming it's a bad series, just using it as an example.

I apologise if I've given the impression that I expect every reviewer to give the Warriors games stellar reviews. I don't, I do understand the criticisms people level at parts of the gameplay, and there are some negative reviews out there I understand and appreciate.

However, the series is mistreated in the west overall, and Edge is partly to blame. The reason is fair enough - Warriors games don't attract much traffic or readers, so they're not worth much time for a professional publication. Resources are too tight, and so it is usually the junior journalists, or random freelancers that are contracted to review these games. Those reviews are then rushed online to attract a few hits, and give the impression that the job is done.

As a journalist I understand all that. But it is clear that the games are not given more than an hour or two playtime (if even that), and then the journalist runs with the popular misconception that the series hasn't changed since Dynasty Warriors 2.

What I dislike is when people then expect the likes of Famitsu to agree with the Westen media interpretation of the Warriors series. The media treats the Warriors series in Japan quite seriously, because it's a major franchise there. The games are played properly, covered properly, and the journalists are given the time to properly understand them.

For that reason, the Japanese media reviews of those games are (far) more accurate.

I know we're focusing on that series, but it applies equally to many other games as well. There's a niche RPG series called "Valhalla Knights" (at least, niche in the West), that has also been slaughtered by Western media while being generally positively received in Japan. Once again, the western reviews generally make factual mistakes that suggest they haven't played the game for more than a few hours, while the Japanese ones are spot on.

And it works the other way, too. Many western games are barely given the time of day in Japanese publications, and when they are they're misrepresented. Why? Because they're just not popular over there, and the Japanese press would rather do a 50 page in depth on Samurai Warriors 3Z than a half page piece on FPS #10. The only real difference there is the Japanese press tend to just ignore the Western games, rather than let the coverage through riddled with errors.

That certainly wasn't directed at you (or anyone else inparticular) just a general statement about the cultural differences. In fact, you're probably the most level headed and fair poster I've seen on these forums. I just don't necessarily agree with you here :)

In that case I apologise unreservedly. I thought that was directed at me, as we were quoting one another back and forth.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveyChristmas

47. Posted:

I can't speak for Famitsu, but based on IGN, GameSpot and the like, I find Johnathon Holmes from Destructoid gives out the most brilliant reviews out there. Again, his Mega Man 9 review was outstanding along with Bit Trip Runner and many more. IGN's reviews in comparison are complete standerized mediocre trash, it's like night and day.

1-Up seems to pretty decent as well, or they can be at times.

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

48. Posted:

Thanks for pointing him out, WaveBoy. Reading through his MM9 review, it's everything I look for in reviews. I've read a few 1-Up articles and came away with the same impression, though I forget if any of these were reviews.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kid_A

49. Posted:

Glad to see Monkey Ball and Layton got such good scores (Famitsu reviews are out of 40 right?)

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

50. Posted:

@Kid_A yep :)

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

JonWahlgren

51. Posted:

Adam wrote:

The excerpt of the SSF4 review sounds good, though I wonder if instantly being able to do charge attacks won't tip the balance since I'd assume they should take longer to pull off (I never play charge characters, so I'm not exactly sure how long you typically have to charge).

From my time with it, by "instantly" able to do certain attacks they mean the four buttons on the touch screen act as shortcuts, so instead of memorizing some insane button combination you can assign a special attack and just tap the screen to pull it off. If an attack requires a charge or other meter to be filled, the button will be grayed out until you meet the requirements.

As an amateur (i.e. god-awful) SSFIV player, I think it's a really nice addition since it somewhat clears a few hurdles to doing cool stuff. I can only hadoken so much.

Editor At Large
NLFM podcast | Twitter | Thunder Panda!

Nintendo Network ID: johnnypanda | Twitter: jonwahlgren

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Oregano

52. Posted:

@WaltzElf: I do feel the need to point out that Samurai Warriors Chronicles seems to be getting fairly good impressions from the people that have played it, but media coverage has been bad. The customisation stuff sounds awesome as well and I think it's really interesting how they're trying to change the appeal from 'Play as historical people' to 'Meet historical people'.

http://www.gaminggauge.com/
My new gaming website!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Odnetnin

53. Posted:

If Adam buys a 3DS and this game I'll get two copies.
not really but it's a nice thing to say

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

54. Posted:

Oregano wrote:

@WaltzElf: I do feel the need to point out that Samurai Warriors Chronicles seems to be getting fairly good impressions from the people that have played it, but media coverage has been bad. The customisation stuff sounds awesome as well and I think it's really interesting how they're trying to change the appeal from 'Play as historical people' to 'Meet historical people'.

I'll be able to tell you exactle what it's like to play soon. My copy should be on it's way :-)

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Pastry

55. Posted:

Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles: 8/8/8/8, 32 points

HOW DARE HE NOT RATE IT 40/40!!

Here is My Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

56. Posted:

pie4prez wrote:

Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles: 8/8/8/8, 32 points

HOW DARE HE NOT RATE IT 40/40!!

Ahem, They, it's 4 reviewers

I haven't been following Famitsu's scoring of Layton, but perhaps it's a sign that the series is getting a bit...Tired, so to speak?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

57. Posted:

Thanks for the info, Jon. I, too, am a terrible Street Fighter player (well, compared to the online and competitive scene) and really struggle with dragon punches and the like, so this feature really appeals to me. I know some of the better players will mock it and complain, but I don't see how anyone could be interested in who is better at wiggling a joystick. I'd rather know who's the better fighter. Kind of why I still have a soft spot for old Mortal Kombat games despite how elementary they are in comparison. It's so much easier and more natural, I find, to press forward forward punch than forward down down-forward punch.

Oh, and Od, I've been leaning heavily toward no because it seems every single game on the console is a remake, but I just remembered Paper Mario and cannot imagine that being anything but the perfect 3D game, so you can probably count on me to have this and SF4 now that I think of it. Might end up getting Blaz Blue, too, when it comes out, though I have mixed feelings about that game.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Slapshot

58. Posted:

@Adam... hows it been going man, longtime no see?

I think the shortcuts on SSF4 for 3DS is a great thing for the majority of people who just want to get a good feel for what SSF4 has to offer. Frame counting and memorizing split second combos isn't my thing either, and on PS3 I was obliterated online, even after beating the Single Player Mode.

BlazBlue is a simplified version of 2D Brawlers is very beginner friendly. It's built on the King of Fighters engine so a few might have played it. The game uses fantastic hand drawn art and the few player specific moves makes learning a player easier, but still hard to master. I love this series, and can't wait to see it in 3D. :)

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

59. Posted:

Hi Slapshot! The going's great. I hope the same can be said for you.

I found BlazBlue to be very complicated in arcades, but in the game's defense, I was playing on a Japanese machine, and spent little time on the console version later on. I love the style though and hope if I buy it for myself I'll eventually get the hang of it so I can challenge my friend who has it on 360 and destroyed me when I last tried it.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

60. Posted:

BlazBlue is by no means Simpler as much as it's Combo Friendlier, making random button mashing slightly less problematic.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~