Forums

Topic: Etrian Odyssey Nexus

Posts 101 to 120 of 128

Quarth

@Ralizah Thanks for the advice! I will try mapping on my own, I think I kinda get how it works now. This is my first EO game.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

MetalKingShield

Quarth wrote:

Am I correct that the experience points I've earned on a run disappears when I die during it (it's just the mapping of the labyrinth that is saved)? Because now I'm very cautious and return to the city every once in a while to heal up, buy some new items and save my progress, so that I don't lose the EXP, before returning to the labyrinth. It feels like a very grindy game, with it taking time to level up.

Another question: is there any easy way to earn money? I sell the items the enemies drops, but it doesn't seem I get money from winning battles.

That was excellent advice from @Ralizah. With Etrian Odyssey, you have to get used to the idea that each trip into the labyrinth will only develop the map a little bit more. As Ralizah says, you have to check out all the walls and points of interest. You also need to make sure you've got all the drops from the enemies you've encountered so far. Selling conditional drop items will make much better equipment become available for sale. Look at the Monster Codex to get hints about how to get conditional drops. For example, if a monster is weak to Arm Bind, you might get a conditional drop if you defeat it when its arms are bound.

Make sure you have classes in your party that can do all the main things. In the front row, I find the new Hero class very good, and I personally have a Pugilist for Head/Arm/Leg binds. I always have a Zodiac in the back row for Fire/Ice/Volt, and a Medic, of course. You can actually have a Medic in the front row if you're going to concentrate on the staff skills, but that's another matter. I've left out the status skills like Curse/Petrify etc because I'm not sure which class is best for those yet, but you'll want them eventually.

Harvested items from Chop/Mine/Take points get you the most money (conditional drops are valuable too), but the way to play these games is to stay in a small portion of the labyrinth until you've used up most of your TP, then head back to town. Make sure you have enough money left for a night at the Inn, and gradually buy better equipment. Unfortunately you won't be able to get everything you want in one go, but you'll be able to afford it fast enough.

MetalKingShield

Quarth

@MetalKingShield Thanks for excellent advice from you as well! It seems like one needs to move forward in tiny steps. But that's kinda good for smaller play sessions, which is what I have time for nowadays. Will see how I fare onwards.

Spoony_Tech

@Quarth I would also suggest making at least one character of every class. There is an item you get pretty early on called memory conch. Equip that on someone in the back row and all those characters you created will slowly level up over time. You never know when you might need a skill you currently dont have in your party. Plus the good thing will be that character you need you can just dump all their skill point in the one skill if necessary.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ralizah

https://reinasakuraba.github.io/EO-Skill-Sim/eox/

I forget if I've posted this yet, but I'll just leave this here for those of you who like knowing how you'll want to build a character in advance.

@Quarth Great! It's one of those series that has a slightly higher learning curve than normal (similar to one of Atlus' other big series, Shin Megami Tensei), but I've always found these games to be incredibly rewarding.

@MetalKingShield I always played these games with an extremely similar party set-up (tank, medic, elemental user, pure attacker, and then usually someone who either inflicted binds or ailments), but EO5's bonkers classes really threw me off for a while. In the end, though, it led to some interesting changes, such as playing through the vast majority of the game without a dedicated healer, and learning to adapt to the bunker system (which I'm actually quite fond of now) as opposed to using a protector to line guard every turn.

Ralizah

Quarth

@Spoony_Tech Thanks, will do that!

@Ralizah Yeah, it seems like one of those games that rewards patience and planning. Hopefully I will master it eventually (but if I got used to Dark Souls, this should be no problem). I set the game at the Basic difficulty.

Edited on by Quarth

Delibheel

To be honest even with auto mapping on you still need to map quite a lot manually.

You get to add doors, paint environmental details like water and FOE behavior/field of action, note shortcuts and points of interest, etc.

So don't be shy of saving some time by letting the game add some of the floors/walls for you.

It's your game, the game provides you with options. Find the way that works for you.

Edited on by Delibheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Spoony_Tech

@Delibheel Quite frankly that's what I've been doing. I've maybe taken my stylus put 10 to 15 times so far. My gaming time these days is too valuable to stop and map everything. Doesnt hurt I know how the game works though.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ralizah

I think turning off automapping is good for developing a habit of checking every wall as soon as you get to them. If you don't, it's so easy to miss stuff that'll make your life easier later on.

To be fair, though, I also quite enjoy the mapping conceit in this series. Walls filling themselves automatically feels so... disconnected to me. It's busywork, but busywork that helps to maintain the illusion that you're actually exploring and charting these places.

Of course, if he finds the mapping to be a pain, then automapping is better if it improves his experience with the game.

Ralizah

ReaderRagfihs

So Etrian Odyssey fans, how are you liking this game so far compared to the others?

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread
Wii/DS games online post shutdown

Delibheel

This game seems to be quite content with throwing you bosses left and right.

It's a bit harder than the previous ones (I played) so far.

Edited on by Delibheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Spoony_Tech

@Ralizah Even with it on I still force myself to check every wall. Still, I know what to look for as far as shortcuts go. I would never tell someone new to the series though to use it.

This is definitely harder then the last few starting out. I wont say as hard as the first 2 but definitely harder then the last 3 main games.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

Delibheel

Whew, finally done with the Lush Woodlands.

Almost messed up with the final boss. I forgot to keep an eye on the turn counter near the end of the battle, and had to stall for a few turns to revive most of my team.

Slow and steady did the job. Also got lucky with the Nerve Circles.

Edited on by Delibheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

MetalKingShield

Ralizah wrote:

@MetalKingShield I always played these games with an extremely similar party set-up (tank, medic, elemental user, pure attacker, and then usually someone who either inflicted binds or ailments), but EO5's bonkers classes really threw me off for a while. In the end, though, it led to some interesting changes, such as playing through the vast majority of the game without a dedicated healer, and learning to adapt to the bunker system (which I'm actually quite fond of now) as opposed to using a protector to line guard every turn.

Oh yeah, EO V is the best so far, in my opinion. Personally, I've always been a purist with the classes, so when I want someone who can inflict binds/ailments, I've always gone with the Hexer/Arcanist type, and never really used those skills with characters who are meant to do other things. It all goes back to the first game, when I learnt the Landsknecht could sometimes inflict that kind of thing (Head Bind, if I recall correctly), but wasn't as effective for that. Similarly, we've been trained through the first four games to have a Protector with Fire/Ice/Volt Wall. I really loved how we didn't need that for the first time in V. The Pugilist, for example, was the one who could do all the binds, but was also a front line combatant.

ReaderRagfihs wrote:

So Etrian Odyssey fans, how are you liking this game so far compared to the others?

It's great, but possibly the worst so far. Having 19 classes is really too much choice, and only having Japanese voice acting does make me feel I'm missing out a bit. The map system of having lots of different locations is not as satisfying as going up or down one giant labyrinth (as in I, II, III and V), but at the same time, I'm glad it doesn't have the overworld/sea map of III and IV. All in all, it feels like an excuse to re-use 3DS assets - not a terrible thing, but not a high point in the series either. Even so, the gameplay loop is as addictive as ever, and I'm very much enjoying it.

MetalKingShield

Delibheel

I just disabled the voice acting after some time.

I'm already playing this game in a foreign language. No need to add more to the mix.

Edited on by Delibheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

Spoony_Tech

At the end boss of the Lush Woodlands and defeated it then......😒

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

Delibheel

So I heard you like bosses...

Eh! My gameplay videos

Manah

I think I spent more time with the character creator than playing the actual game.

This is my first time without a tank and so far it works except for my Nightseeker dying a lot because I can't stick him in the back row until he's a bit less squishy. And the Zodiac running out of TP all the time but I'm determined to keep her in the party no matter what.

Spoony_Tech

@Delibheel 3rd times the charm I guess. Didn't have many healing/tp/unbinding items but it's done.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic