Forums

Topic: Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 223

Spoony_Tech

@Ralizah When you have a moment check out the Alliance Alive topic I made and check out the review. Might be right up our alley as the reviewer says it's not like Legend of Legacy at all.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

gcunit

Ralizah wrote:

@Spoony_Tech 2017 is one of the best years in gaming I've ever seen. Started off strong with a slew of fantastic Playstation 4 games and then shifted into high gear with the release of Breath of the Wild and the Nintendo Switch. It has just been non-stop fun all year, and I'm going to spend the majority of 2018 playing catch up with all of the excellent 2017 releases I haven't had time to dig into.

Quite. Previous concerns that Nintendo might be 'front-loading' Switch releases, leaving 2018 looking empty, are now turning into hope that that is exactly what they've been doing and we'll get some sort of consolidation period where we can all catch up and find the time to speak to our banks about extending our overdrafts.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Seacliff

IV was good, great even, but was too easy, started a gimmicky trend with Untold 1+2, and lacked content. Even putting the 1/4th-floor mini-dungeons together the total game is only 20 floors.

Glad to see things streamlined back to their roots here with some other unique ideas like races and tabletop RPG inspired field skills. 3DS goty for me.

Edited on by Seacliff

Seacliff

Spoony_Tech

I've been so busy with other games I totally forgot this game comes out NEXT WEEK! Didn't even load up the demo yet either. Anybody play that yet?

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@Snaplocket Yeah IV was fine but it did start easier then past games of the series. It ended harder like the rest though. The untold games while I haven't actually finished any of them seemed far easier. Even on hard.

MERG said:

World

@Spoony_Tech I found the V demo quite a bit easier, even on Hard Mode, than IV with the standard Defender-Attacker-Heavy Attacker-Magic-Medic party. Not so easy that I didn't have to level, but easy enough that the usual EO strategies worked just fine. Could be less the game and more just that I've played a few of them; hard to say as the demo is only the first three floors. I'm sure it would be harder with a non-standard party, but I like to run a standard party to get a feel for the labyrinths first.

Super hyped for this game anyway though! One of my favorite series. Definitely picking it up next week!

World

MetalKingShield

I thought IV was the right difficulty all the way through. I-III were tough, but had strategies that allowed you to win, whereas Untold 1 & 2 were easy enough to see the credits, but have the most frustrating post-games of them all.

With V (which I'm hoping is like IV), I like using Pugilist, Masurao and Harbinger (front line), and Warlock, Botanist in the back line. That does leave me without the Dragoon, but we'll see if we need one (in which case I would replace the Harbinger).

MetalKingShield

Spoony_Tech

Can anybody tell me if the demo transfers to the main copy like the others did? I just beat Metroid and want to start this game a day early.

MERG said:

Pho

Forgot about this one, will have to see if I can find it physical.

Poyo! <3

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8691-6279 | Nintendo Network ID: xPH03N1Xx86

Pokefanmum82

Yeah it does.

Edited on by Pokefanmum82

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

Spoony_Tech

@Pokefanmum82 Thanks, I didn't want to start it and replay all of what I did again tomorrow. Although the past demos usually told you right from the beginning.

MERG said:

gcunit

"Etrian Odyssey 5 isn't simply the best game in its own franchise, it's easily the richest and most satisfying dungeon crawler to appear in the past decade." - Polygon.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ralizah

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I'm glad we're getting another classic EO game again. On the other hand, I DEEPLY dislike certain classes. Rover is a pain to use. The Dragoon feels massively gimped early on compared to tanks from previous games. My masurao can barely even take a hit. This is the first time in an EO game that I can't decide on a class setup that I'm happy with.

The maps also aren't as maze-like as they used to be, which makes mapping more difficult.

One thing I do like, though, is that even early in the first stratum we're getting puzzles and such that change up the pace of the gameplay.

And the music is, of course, heavenly.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Spoony_Tech

I don't think certain classes are weak, I just think the game went back to it's roots and is just hard. I was going to use my skill points after I explored the first floor a little but had to leave after the first fight lol. I knew what I was dealing with at that point. I'm not even going to the second floor till all my team is better equipped. Of course I have it on the hardest difficulty but still this is more brutal then the last 2 in the series anyways.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

Ralizah

The classes are definitely more involved than previous games. I believe Atlus has even said as much. I'm sure I'll adjust to the changes, but they're a bit hard to get used to.

Thankfully, this game doesn't have the FOE/boss HP bloat, stupid gimmicks, or story mode nonsense from EO2U. It is very much a "back to basics" game in most ways.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

oninowon

Does the demo give something extra if you finished the demo and want to transfer your characters to the full game?

oninowon

Spoony_Tech

@oninowon I don't believe so. Mine just was a straight transfer but I barely touched the demo mine you.

Anybody find the moonstone? I thought I was everywhere at night but nothing.

MERG said:

SMEXIZELDAMAN

So what does everyone think about this game? How does it stack up to EOIV and Millennium Girl in particular?

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Spoony_Tech

@SMEXIZELDAMAN Just my opinion but it's not as good as IV. I miss my overworld. It's a back to it's roots game and so far it's good but not great imo. You're not missing much as it's just more of the same like you originally thought.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

SMEXIZELDAMAN

OK, thank you for your opinion, Spoony guy

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.