3DS Forum

Topic: 3DS Review Thread

Showing 1 to 20 of 45

AuthorMessage
Avatar

zeeroid

1. Posted:

Starting with Engadget:

They already did this with the Japanese model a while back, but a couple days ago a really nice, in-depth review of the system was posted. A much better read than that IGN review, to be frank. They also cover some ground that hasn't really been touched on a whole lot yet, such as how well DS games perform.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/21/nintendo-3ds-review/

Hopefully Ars Technica will get their review up soon as well.

[edit: @theblackdragon Thanks for fixing up that mess for us :) ]

Edited on by zeeroid

3DS: 1676 - 3679 - 7062
PSN: Zeer0id

Pushmo puzzle album (w/ QR codes)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

2. Posted:

engadget followers are known to be ignorant Apple and Android knock-offs. Wish they could DO something about it.

But that's off topic. Thanks for posting that.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Malkeor

3. Posted:

Thanks for the link Zeeroid! =]
Seems much more in depth than IGNs.
I'm also glad they decided to add a little summary and opinion of each of the launch titles.

Edited on by theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code: 4296-2988-0518
Currently playing:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Radiant Historia

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheBaconator

4. Posted:

That was a well written review with lots of details. It's a shame to see they did not enjoy Steel Diver though. I think I'm to replace it with Super Monkey Ball 3D on my list of games to pick up.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Malkeor

5. Posted:

ballkirby1 wrote:

That was a well written review with lots of details. It's a shame to see they did not enjoy Steel Diver though. I think I'm to replace it with Super Monkey Ball 3D on my list of games to pick up.

Steel Diver seems like one of those games that only certain people would enjoy. This is also because it might not sell too well.
Though I would enjoy eating my own words, because it's one of the launch titles I would buy, and it's nice to see a new IP sell.

Edited on by Malkeor

3DS Friend Code: 4296-2988-0518
Currently playing:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Radiant Historia

AuthorMessage
Avatar

zeeroid

6. Posted:

I'm really excited to play Steel Diver: it totally seems like a game I would have fun with. The one massive caveat, of course, is that it costs $40. From all the impressions and reviews I've seen, the problem seems to be that there just isn't enough content to merit its price. At $20, I would pick it up in a heartbeat. Anything below $30 even, and I would seriously consider it.

3DS: 1676 - 3679 - 7062
PSN: Zeer0id

Pushmo puzzle album (w/ QR codes)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Malkeor

7. Posted:

zeeroid wrote:

I'm really excited to play Steel Diver: it totally seems like a game I would have fun with. The one massive caveat, of course, is that it costs $40. From all the impressions and reviews I've seen, the problem seems to be that there just isn't enough content to merit its price. At $20, I would pick it up in a heartbeat. Anything below $30 even, and I would seriously consider it.

Yeah and since it's a first party title, I don't think the price drop will be...well...it'll take a while if it happens xD

Though I am a lucky son-of-a-gun, and I have a friend who works at Nintendo, if I buy from them I get a discount.
49.99 games will be 29.99 (plus shipping) Dunno bout 3DS games yet.
Oh yeah this is for First-party games only though.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-2988-0518
Currently playing:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Radiant Historia

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Runic

8. Posted:

After reading a few reviews, I am not sure what games I will be picking up. Street Fighter is a must, but DOA is also getting good buzz. I'm going to pass on Steel Diver due to the price, but might pick up Pilot Wings.

Great deals on the Nintendo 3DS at http://www.nintendo3dsshops.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

zeeroid

9. Posted:

Ugh, I really wish I could convince myself that any of the launch games are worthwhile. I've never not purchased a game at the launch of a platform before. It's a little depressing. I was blown away by how good SSFIV 3D is when I played the demo, but it's not enough to get me to buy the game for the second time. As usual, if it were $20 cheaper, this ongoing inner monologue wouldn't even be necessary. I'd just nab it.

For now... I wait. Eagerly. Until June! At least I've got AR games and my library of unplayed DS stragglers to have fun with.

3DS: 1676 - 3679 - 7062
PSN: Zeer0id

Pushmo puzzle album (w/ QR codes)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TeeJay

10. Posted:

zeeroid wrote:

Ugh, I really wish I could convince myself that any of the launch games are worthwhile. I've never not purchased a game at the launch of a platform before. It's a little depressing. I was blown away by how good SSFIV 3D is when I played the demo, but it's not enough to get me to buy the game for the second time. As usual, if it were $20 cheaper, this ongoing inner monologue wouldn't even be necessary. I'd just nab it.

For now... I wait. Eagerly. Until June! At least I've got AR games and my library of unplayed DS stragglers to have fun with.

When would you ever expect to see SSFIV on sale for $20? :|

Spiritloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

zeeroid

11. Posted:

Tj92 wrote:

When would you ever expect to see SSFIV on sale for $20? :|

On a non-Nintendo platform? A few months.

On the 3DS? ...Uh.

I can dream, can't it?

(btw, the "waiting" was for other titles, more worthy of their $40 price tag, to come out; not for SSFIV to drop :( )

Edited on by zeeroid

3DS: 1676 - 3679 - 7062
PSN: Zeer0id

Pushmo puzzle album (w/ QR codes)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

pixelman

12. Posted:

Ah, they said Lego Star Wars is perhaps the most fun of the launch titles. Awesome. :3

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: pixelpowa

AuthorMessage
Avatar

zeeroid

13. Posted:

Finally! Ars reviewed it :D

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/03/a-beautiful-screen...

I love their hardware reviews, they're always amazingly in-depth and thorough.

3DS: 1676 - 3679 - 7062
PSN: Zeer0id

Pushmo puzzle album (w/ QR codes)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kyomagi

14. Posted:

CNN Reviews 3ds....
Wait... WTF?? CNN????

Nintendo 3DS: No match for iPhone - Video - Technology

Yes because a "gamer who grew up on halo" is qualified to give his opinion on a nintendo product.

I grew up on NINTENDO, SEGA and PLAYSTATION (even dreamcast), i am 100% more qualified to review the damn thing

kyomagi

AuthorMessage
Avatar

turtlelink

15. Posted:

I could have sworn everybody people had the right to express their opinion last time I checked.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Malkeor

16. Posted:

kyomagi wrote:

CNN Reviews 3ds....
Wait... WTF?? CNN????

Nintendo 3DS: No match for iPhone - Video - Technology

Yes because a "gamer who grew up on halo" is qualified to give his opinion on a nintendo product.

I grew up on NINTENDO, SEGA and PLAYSTATION (even dreamcast), i am 100% more qualified to review the damn thing

Eh, you just depends how you look at it. the Iphone.Ipad has some pretty impressive tech goin on. Then again so does the 3DS.
Now comparing games, which is what the 3DS system does, that's its thing, the 3DS is a far better tool. More impressive in my opinion.

Then again every review is just a big opinion, don't take it to heart.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-2988-0518
Currently playing:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Radiant Historia

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Magi

17. Posted:

kyomagi wrote:

Yes because a "gamer who grew up on halo" is qualified to give his opinion on a nintendo product.

I grew up on NINTENDO, SEGA and PLAYSTATION (even dreamcast), i am 100% more qualified to review the damn thing

So by your reasoning, an auto journalist couldn't do an accurate review on a 2011 Chevrolet Corvette, because he never drove a Ford Model "T"?

Rose colored glasses. They're ugly. And pink.

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Raylax

18. Posted:

I immediately disregard any review that marks the console down for lacking a GBA port. That thing is two generations old now, and yet people cling to it like it's still relevant.

ACNF: Visit Somni! DC: 7000 3442 7110
theblackdragon: ahaha perfect response to that thread, raylax
theblackdragon: eff your other responses, though
theblackdragon: all of them
theblackdragon: in the entire history of ever >:[
theblackdragon: they've all sucked

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TeeJay

19. Posted:

Raylax wrote:

I immediately disregard any review that marks the console down for lacking a GBA port. That thing is two generations old now, and yet people cling to it like it's still relevant.

It is still relevant when the Hoenn region hasn't been released in a DS game yet, so it's extremely hard to fill up the pokedex in any DS pokemon game.

Spiritloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheBaconator

20. Posted:

Hey Guys. Want to see the most painful to watch review of a 3DS courtesy of CNN. There are numerous and absolutely pathetic errors he makes in it, but he knows what he's talking about because he's "a hardcore gamer who grew up playing Halo." I should have no problem getting a job as a game critic (if I really wanted to) if this guy is.
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=153890

Edited on by TheBaconator

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs