3DS Forum

Topic: Ebooks on 3DS

Showing 21 to 40 of 54

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mandoble

21. Posted:

melechofsin wrote:

The 3DS can display books in high resolution (800X240, not to mention textures and features that are not available on the ipod and iphone) that will look brilliant.

Well, 800x240 is low res in my world, anyway 3DS screen max real res is 400x240. 800x240 is the internal image resolution for 3D effects, where each of your eyes perceives a different image of 400x240. iPhone 4 has a real res of 960x640.

Mandoble

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chris720

22. Posted:

Uhm... no thanks... it would be cool I suppose, but I could see words being blurry or becoming uncomfortable to read after a while.

I'd rather be able to watch TV/movies on the go. ;)

This thread beats all other threads
My Unfinishedloggery of Games | Google+

3DS Friend Code: 2793-0642-9960 | Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter: Jirachi720

AuthorMessage
Avatar

iphys

23. Posted:

The DS lite resolution was marginal, but the 3ds resolution is perfectly adequate for reading books. I've read text files on the browser online, and it was great. If only there were some way to access local txt files off the SD card with the browser we'd be set. I'm kind of surprised Nintendo didn't make this feature available, as it would be one more feature to help people rationalize the purchase.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Raptor78

24. Posted:

Flips are available on DSiware and they are a form of eBooks and seem alright on the DS, it would be nice though just to have some kind of eReader where you could just use your own txt files off of the SD card with a few simple layouts and fonts etc.

3DS Friend Code: 2621 - 2654 - 6355

OnLive Player Tag: Raptor78

Heroes of Ruin online profile -
http://heroesofruin.com/profile/Raptor1978

http://passid.ca/raptor

currently playing: Heroes of Ruin

AuthorMessage
Avatar

6ch6ris6

25. Posted:

some developer could easily make a ebookreader app for the 3ds. which can load open office files from your sd card.

a good developer could make such app in like 1 day xD

i would buy it

3DS code: 4768 - 7434 - 1139 <<>> Miiverse ID: A-C-A-B
Visit Pinewood in Animal Crossing: 7700 - 3096 - 0394 <<>> Nintendo Pocket Football Club: FC Krawall

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Squiggle55

26. Posted:

Kindle is awesome because of the ink technology and reading out in sunlight. The Ipad is awesome because of the presentation, the color of the pages, and the feeling of turning a page. Both of them are awesome because they are big enough to have a whole page on one screen. I don't think I would ever choose to read a book on a screen that has maybe a paragraph on it. But a collection of children's books might be a good idea. They could animate the whole thing on the top screen, and have a narrator read the words on the bottom screen.

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -Albert Einstein

AuthorMessage
Avatar

yoyogamer

27. Posted:

No Thanks. I don't want to read books on my 3DS for the same reason I don't want to play games on my Kindle. The screen on the Kindle looks like paper, the screen on the 3DS would not look like paper.

This is a signature.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

pixelman

28. Posted:

No thanks. I'd rather read a real book or on a Kindle.

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Moco_Loco

29. Posted:

I doubt they would do children's books in 3D with all the warnings Nintendo has put out, though I admit it would be cool. I'm not worried about the screen resolution, but I don't like the fact that one screen is bigger than the other. If you were holding it like a book, you would expect text of the same size to be on both screens. Even if the touchscreen were used in other ways, I really don't think it would be an ideal reading experience.

Honestly, my favorite reading device is the book. I know it's not the most environmentally-sound, but I like the fact that I can drop it on the floor and can still read it. If I drop it in the toilet, it doesn't cost too much to replace it and I might even be able to snag a copy from the library to finish it. While it is true that my 3DS shares these weaknesses with the Kindle, I haven't found a way to play videogames on a paperback.

Moco Loco
If you find yourself spiritually drifting (as I was for far too many years), remember that Jesus can and will walk across the water to reach you and bring you back to shore.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Turnip

30. Posted:

@waltzelf now, there's no need to get mad about this. Some people would like to read books on a 3DS, others would not.

Opinion-based arguments are useless.

Cringing is really fun.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ark

31. Posted:

melechofsin wrote:

The 3DS resolution, contrary to the DS, is great for reading. You can even do it in 3D. The different options with the dual screen is also exciting. Hopefully they do something like that. Kindle is not in color, I wouldn't say it's superior in any way. I like my Kindle, and I like the ink technology, but Amazon could do it very simply. Also the other formats.

How would the 3DS be any better or worse than the original DS at reading books? The only difference is that the two screens are different sizes, which makes things more awkward if anything. Does the prospect of having a gap between the two screens so that some text is cut off and stretched onto the next page sound enticing to you (that is a serious question)? 3D offers absolutely no benefit for black and white text. None. Unless visuals are involved, in which case the battery life wouldn't be nearly up to par with most eReaders. 3DS was not designed with eBooks in mind, and that's probably for the best.

If any DS would be ideal for an eBook reader, it would be the DSiXL (which is still questionable).

GuardianAcorn wrote:

And what is a "gimmick" really? Is it what skeptics call a technology before it catches on?

"to equip or embellish with unnecessary features, especially in order to increase salability, acceptance, etc. (often followed by up) : to gimmick up a sports car with chrome and racing stripes."
For example, making black text into 3D would be a gimmick. It's unnecessary and adds nothing. The most inventive thing you could do with that is make certain words stand out, but that's what italics, bold, and larger font sizes are for.
Another example would be the WiiRemote usage in Donkey Kong Country Returns. Shaking the controller is less accurate than a button press in order to roll, and many people have difficulty with the game already.

Peterifico wrote:

Uh, okay if you can get 10 hours with ds games,...

You can get a maximum of 5-8 hours on the lowest settings and everything unnecessary turned off, not 10. Just sayin'.

Edited on by Ark

.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

6ch6ris6

32. Posted:

whats all about the "kindle"

i only have a 3Ds and it would be nice if i could read text files on my 3DS via an app. if you dont like it. dont use it^^
i would pay money for it. /thread

3DS code: 4768 - 7434 - 1139 <<>> Miiverse ID: A-C-A-B
Visit Pinewood in Animal Crossing: 7700 - 3096 - 0394 <<>> Nintendo Pocket Football Club: FC Krawall

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

33. Posted:

Scypher wrote:

melechofsin wrote:

The 3DS resolution, contrary to the DS, is great for reading. You can even do it in 3D. The different options with the dual screen is also exciting. Hopefully they do something like that. Kindle is not in color, I wouldn't say it's superior in any way. I like my Kindle, and I like the ink technology, but Amazon could do it very simply. Also the other formats.

How would the 3DS be any better or worse than the original DS at reading books? The only difference is that the two screens are different sizes, which makes things more awkward if anything. Does the prospect of having a gap between the two screens so that some text is cut off and stretched onto the next page sound enticing to you (that is a serious question)? 3D offers absolutely no benefit for black and white text. None. Unless visuals are involved, in which case the battery life wouldn't be nearly up to par with most eReaders. 3DS was not designed with eBooks in mind, and that's probably for the best.

GuardianAcorn wrote:

And what is a "gimmick" really? Is it what skeptics call a technology before it catches on?

"to equip or embellish with unnecessary features, especially in order to increase salability, acceptance, etc. (often followed by up) : to gimmick up a sports car with chrome and racing stripes."

For example, making black text into 3D would be a gimmick. It's unnecessary and adds nothing. The most inventive thing you could do with that is make certain words stand out, but that's what italics, bold, and larger font sizes are for.

Peterifico wrote:

Uh, okay if you can get 10 hours with ds games,...

You can get a maximum of 5-8 hours on the lowest settings and everything unnecessary turned off, not 10. Just sayin'.

Who said anything about wanting the actual text to be 3D? although it would be neat(depending) if some of the text was styalised, colorful and trippy. But It's about experiencing the Art/work visuals in 3D. That alone makes the 3DS special in that regard, since the Kindle and I Pad aren't capable of that.

Either way, I've got no interest in getting a Kindle(especially) or an I-Pad. Hell, even if eBooks became an option on the 3DS I'd most likely pass anyways. But it would still be interesting of course because of the big benifits of the 3D which would add a layer of depth, pop and immersion for the Art Work. Robert Munch in 3D baby haha.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
NES FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

34. Posted:

whats all about the "kindle"

A cheap ($100) device that almost perfectly recreates the quality of text on real paper. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HFS6Z0/ref=kindlesu-1

If you like reading, then this is a must-have device. Because eBooks are cheaper than paper books (typically) on Kindle, you end up getting that $100 investment back pretty quickly. I know my Kindle has saved me a few hundred dollars in books.

Who said anything about wanting the actual text to be 3D? although it would be neat(depending) if some of the text was styalised, colorful and trippy. But It's about experiencing the Art/work visuals in 3D. That alone makes the 3DS special in that regard, since the Kindle and I Pad aren't capable of that.

The guy Scypher replied to said exactly that.

99 per cent of the books out there worth reading don't have artwork or visuals. Once again, if you're actually going to use an eReader, get a proper one, or an iPad. The 1 per cent of books that the 3DS might not suck so badly at are hardly an argument that the 3DS' quality as an eReader is comparable to the 3DS or iPad.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

35. Posted:

it would be nice if we could have a thread that didn't wind up devolving into snide insults and people dismissing each other as fanboys just for disagreeing with each other's opinions. stop it, please, all of you.

as for eBooks on the 3DS, i wouldn't mind seeing them give it a shot. the more stuff out there for us to download and try, the better IMO.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

36. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

whats all about the "kindle"

A cheap ($100) device that almost perfectly recreates the quality of text on real paper. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HFS6Z0/ref=kindlesu-1

If you like reading, then this is a must-have device. Because eBooks are cheaper than paper books (typically) on Kindle, you end up getting that $100 investment back pretty quickly. I know my Kindle has saved me a few hundred dollars in books.

Who said anything about wanting the actual text to be 3D? although it would be neat(depending) if some of the text was styalised, colorful and trippy. But It's about experiencing the Art/work visuals in 3D. That alone makes the 3DS special in that regard, since the Kindle and I Pad aren't capable of that.

The guy Scypher replied to said exactly that.

99 per cent of the books out there worth reading don't have artwork or visuals. Once again, if you're actually going to use an eReader, get a proper one, or an iPad. The 1 per cent of books that the 3DS might not suck so badly at are hardly an argument that the 3DS' quality as an eReader is comparable to the 3DS or iPad.

Tell that to my inner child. :p
Anyways, I rarely read novels in this day and age to begin with. Yet as an artist, I really dig some of those unique old school pop out books. Nostalgia or not, they're still pretty neat.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
NES FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TeeJay

37. Posted:

It would be nice, though the Kindle would have the 3DS beat in terms of being able to use it outside more easily. The Kindle can display text in the sun just like a real book, with no glare. The 3DS wouldn't be able to do that, unfortunately. :(

Tumblr Ask Blog: http://ask-aqua-marine-pony.tumblr.com

3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

melechofsin

38. Posted:

Didn't someone here say he actually likes comics on a PSP or something? That would be awesome on the 3DS.
Kindle is, sadlly, ugly. You can't get color on the cover even. You know all the novels have color covers, and they actually have layers, so that pop-up effect will also be perfect on the 3DS. It is rumored that Amazon will soon finally reveal a color Kindle though. Also, many books have drawings, including adult ones - as mentioned, the classic Alice in Wonderland.
Kindle also is not cheap.
Kindle (Wi-Fi, 6") is available for $139.
Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6") is available for $189.
Kindle DX (Free 3G, 9.7") is available for $379.

Kindle is also tedious. Let's say you want to use a buillt in dictionary, you have to move the cursor to the word. No tap or stylus.

It's best for books that their copyright expired (which means they should be free. Normally, 70 years after an author's death) and for new books. Of course used books are actually cheaper in physical form - normally you will get them for ~$3 on used book-stores, where in Kindle they will cost at least $7.99.

Edited on by melechofsin

melechofsin

AuthorMessage
Avatar

6ch6ris6

39. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

A cheap ($100) device that almost perfectly recreates the quality of text on real paper. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HFS6Z0/ref=kindlesu-1
If you like reading, then this is a must-have device. Because eBooks are cheaper than paper books (typically) on Kindle

100$ is not cheap for me. i dont wanna buy books. i wanna read my own text files on my 3DS. i never buy books. i wanna be able to read my downloaded files on my 3DS you know? i wont pay 100$ for that

3DS code: 4768 - 7434 - 1139 <<>> Miiverse ID: A-C-A-B
Visit Pinewood in Animal Crossing: 7700 - 3096 - 0394 <<>> Nintendo Pocket Football Club: FC Krawall

AuthorMessage
Avatar

eviLaTtenDant

40. Posted:

If anything i'd say bring them as DSiWare in the way books were represented in 100 Classic Book Collection.
While not being a huge reader i tried that and liked to be able to turn the page with the d-pad. I also found it comfy to be able to hold it in one hand without it being to heavy.
I'm not sure i'd buy individual books though since i seldom take the time for reading.

Number 2? Says who? >=o]

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112