The final bonus level is horribly difficult. :(

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

282. Posted:

Ralizah wrote:

The final bonus level is horribly difficult. :(

Ill know soon enough as I'm on the 4th!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech

Network ID SpoonyTech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

RR529

283. Posted:

I think I'll be getting this soon, as my summer game. I have about $30 saved up now, so I'll only have to get $5 more before I'm able to purchase it (instead of the $10 I'd have to save to pick up a $40 game like Fire Emblem or Castlevania, like I was initially planning)

Plus, I know for a fact that I'll enjoy it, since I loved DKC on SNES, and I have unfinished business with it (got to world 5 on Wii, before it stopped reading dual layer discs). That, and all the news/footage of Tropical Freeze has me itching for some DK :P

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:

Red Dead Redemption (360)

Smashatar of the week: Charizard firing it up!

AuthorMessage

MrGameluvr

284. Posted:

I have a question: how do I get multiple hits on bosses?

I know that this sounds stupid but for some reason whenever I try to hit Kalimba I only get one hit on him.

Also, @Ralizah, I dread to even think of the other ones. To me Platform Panic was bad enough.

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7646-0932. ALL HAIL PONIES

AuthorMessage

RR529

285. Posted:

I was browsing the net looking at reviews, & I actually found a mediocre score...

Metro GameCenter: 6/10 O_O

They liked: the crazy action, nostalgic pull, fantastic music, use of 3D, and improved controls (no motion gimmicks).

They disliked: The worlds' themes are nothing new, and all run together with a samey jungle vibe that leads to a lack of visual variety (with only the factory world breaking the mold). This is largely the same game the original SNES game was in terms of gameplay, with some minor visual flare (silhouette levels & molding landscape) added to hide the fact there's nothing new in terms of gameplay (and even these changes are overused, & become worn by the end of the game). The visuals are muddy compared to the Wii counterpart, with the small screen of the 3DS leading to many an unfair death (citing the "New Mode" was only there in the first place because they knew the 3DS screen would make the game unfairly difficult), and that the game feels sorely out of place on the system.

Currently Playing:

Red Dead Redemption (360)

Smashatar of the week: Charizard firing it up!

AuthorMessage

Ralizah

286. Posted:

Oh well, can't make everyone happy.

@MrGameluvr

I think only one of the Orb levels is harder than Platform Panic. Most of them are quite easy, actually. The Golden Temple, the final playable level in the game, is just a complete nightmare, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

AuthorMessage

MrGameluvr

287. Posted:

Ralizah wrote:

Oh well, can't make everyone happy.

@MrGameluvr

I think only one of the Orb levels is harder than Platform Panic. Most of them are quite easy, actually. The Golden Temple, the final playable level in the game, is just a complete nightmare, though.

Oh ok, thanks Ralizah. :)

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7646-0932. ALL HAIL PONIES

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

288. Posted:

@RR529
Well I have to disagree with about everything that review said. One of the main reasons I love the game is because of the world's themes. They make it feel like a real and (almost) believable place. The gameplay is similar to the SNES original to where it has enough similarities to please old fans, but enough new additions to make it a fresh experience. Each level feels unique and they're all very memorable so I have no idea why they complained about that.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

MasterWario

289. Posted:

Ralizah wrote:

I think only one of the Orb levels is harder than Platform Panic.

I'm thinking that one would be Perilous Passage, at least that's what my vote goes to.

@CapnPancakes Agreed.

You sunk my battle sub!
My Pushmo Levels
My Crashmo Levels
My Colors! 3D Gallery
Bogmire sprite by A.J. Nitro

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371

AuthorMessage

Fillytase

290. Posted:

Hi, first post on the forums. So, I'm very excited for Tropical Freeze and think it looks great--made sure it was the first game I played at the Best Buy event I went to. I actually never played DKCR though. I guess at the time it came out I wasn't that into the DK IP, but now I've come around and want to play it before Tropical Freeze comes out.

I'm wondering, should I get this, or the original Wii version? I don't play platformers that much and I heard the 3DS version is harder than the original; is this true for the whole game, or just the new levels? Also, how did you all find the waggle/"gimmick" controls in the original? I don't mind waggle sometimes, but I found having to play Tropical Freeze with a Wiimote/nunchuk very unnatural (though I think that has more to do with how it feels unnatural to move with a disembodied analog stick than with the waggle controls).

Fillytase

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

291. Posted:

@Fillytase First of all welcome to the forums! Its a great place and I hope you like it here!

I have both versions and I say go with the 3ds version. Both have pros and cons. Waggle can get you killed in the Wii version. The buttons work so much better imo. Also this just looks great in 3d. I will say that with the right set up on an hd tv the Wii version definitly looks better. Mostly the colors and brightness. However its not so much of a difference that its a game braker. 3ds version just has more options with the new levels and actual easier gameplay if you so choose! Either way you go just play this game. Its great!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech

Network ID SpoonyTech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

Ralizah

292. Posted:

Fillytase wrote:

Hi, first post on the forums. So, I'm very excited for Tropical Freeze and think it looks great--made sure it was the first game I played at the Best Buy event I went to. I actually never played DKCR though. I guess at the time it came out I wasn't that into the DK IP, but now I've come around and want to play it before Tropical Freeze comes out.

I'm wondering, should I get this, or the original Wii version? I don't play platformers that much and I heard the 3DS version is harder than the original; is this true for the whole game, or just the new levels? Also, how did you all find the waggle/"gimmick" controls in the original? I don't mind waggle sometimes, but I found having to play Tropical Freeze with a Wiimote/nunchuk very unnatural (though I think that has more to do with how it feels unnatural to move with a disembodied analog stick than with the waggle controls).

This version has great stereoscopic depth and an easier difficulty mode, if you find the original mode too hard. The Wii version has a better framerate and superior graphics, but awful waggle controls and a lack of 3D support. The control is similar on the 3DS to the older DKC games as well. I definitely recommend getting the 3DS version.

Edited on by Ralizah

AuthorMessage

CM30

293. Posted:

I'd recommend buying the 3DS version. You say you find motion controls weird, that version has no motion controls. It's also generally got more options, a new world's worth of levels and other bonuses. So why it's not (in my opinion) enough to justify a purchase if you already own the Wii version of Donkey Kong Country Returns, I think it's definitely the better version to buy if you don't own/haven't played the game already.

Nintendo 3DS Community aka my website
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4189

AuthorMessage

Fillytase

294. Posted:

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I don't technically own the original, but my bf does, and he's like my own personal free games rental service for the many games I don't own... :P I'm visiting him in a couple of weeks, so I guess I'll try the original and see how I like it. If I don't, I'll add the 3DS version to my already decently long Christmas list full of upcoming 3DS and Wii U games... v.v

Fillytase

AuthorMessage

Oren

295. Posted:

Hey Fillytase,

I'd definitely echo what everyone else is saying and go for the 3ds version. The use of 3D is incredible. It's Amazing that it wasn't originally made for a system with 3D capabilities. It does suffer from slight dips in frame rate that the Wii version doesn't but this isn't much of an issue and during my 15 or so hours with it so far it hasn't caused any deaths or frustration for me.

With the added bonus levels and the optional easy mode I think it is the definitive version and that's without even mentioning the lack of tacked on waggle controls. The button method is so much more intuitive. Hope this helps.

By the way, this is my first post too. Hi everyone!

3DS Friend Code: 4038-7217-0178
Currently playing: A Link Between Worlds, Bravely Default
Super Mario 3D World, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Borderlands 2

AuthorMessage

WebHead

296. Posted:

I remember playing this game on Wii. The difficulty was so high that it was awesome lol.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

AuthorMessage

Tobias95

297. Posted:

Use banana juice and Diddy on the final stagw and its not too hard

I am from Norway. Pleas have in mind my english might not be the best. but I am trying ;)

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355 | Nintendo Network ID: hylfrid

AuthorMessage

WebHead

298. Posted:

I gave in and double dipped..and I love it! :D

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

AuthorMessage

astros75

299. Posted:

Love this game! Didn't get to play it on the Wii but I must say it looks and plays amazingly on the 3DS. I get caught up looking at the environments while chaos surrounds DK, lol. Despite it being a remake, I still think this is the best platformer on the 3DS. Cant wait for Tropical Freeze!

Favorite 3DS Games:
Fire Emblem: Awk. ~ Mario Kart 7 ~ Animal Crossing: NL ~ Luigis Mansion: DM
Res. Evil: Rev ~ Super Mario 3d Land ~ DKC Returns ~ Kid Icarus Uprising

Favorite WiiU Games:
Pikmin 3 ~ New Super Mario Bros U

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0174-1633 | Nintendo Network ID: astros75