Forums

Topic: Does your lower screen rim leave marks on upper screen?

Posts 121 to 140 of 177

the_shpydar

Add me to the list of people who have never had a problem with this. What, are you people like slamming the system closed?

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Birdman

Ok, I went to a nearby FedEx store, got it packaged and hopefully it on it's way to being fixed and/or replaced. I'm really hoping it comes back soon, as it's only been about 3 hours and I'm already bored out of my mind.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

Lohengriehn

Little scratches on my upper screen too now :-/ I guess its because I put the 3DS in the pocket of my jeans when trying to streetpass one or two. Seems I dont need a screen protector for the lower screen this time, but for the upper one instead

Well, thats the only complaint I have. Someone should have noticed it in the development process. Unforgivable mistake.

Grammar errors? We could use the german language instead of the english one of course - do you dare? ;)

the_shpydar

Oddy wrote:

the_shpydar wrote:

Add me to the list of people who have never had a problem with this. What, are you people like slamming the system closed?

Nope, just playing it...like we bought it to.

But that's kinda my point. I play my 3DS like crazy, open and close the system many many many times during gaming sessions, and have never had this problem. I just can't imagine how you people are handling your systems that you're scratching the screen.

The Shpydarloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

bro2dragons

@Birdman: I've been very impressed with their service on my Wii. I watched my repair status closely, and while it took longer than I'd have liked to get there (something that can only be blamed on FedEx, not Nintendo, once arrived, it was fixed, and set back in the mail the next morning and will arrive back in my hands in 2 business days. Speed shouldn't be a real issue for you.

“I am a brother to dragons and a companion to owls." Job:30:29

Nintendo Network ID: bro2dragons

Olaf-symbiote

the_shpydar wrote:

Oddy wrote:

the_shpydar wrote:

Nope, just playing it...like we bought it to.

But that's kinda my point. I play my 3DS like crazy, open and close the system many many many times during gaming sessions, and have never had this problem. I just can't imagine how you people are handling your systems that you're scratching the screen.

No offense, but just because you don't get the scratches doesn't mean the rest of us are klutzy with our 3DS. I can tell you, both me and my sis have been handling our systems with as much care as possible. No way we've been slamming the system shut. We've even wiped the smudges everytime we've got them. And yet we've still gotten big scratches on our screens, especially my sister.

Maybe you got lucky with your 3DS or something, but I don't want anyone thinking the scratches appear because the owners are too rough with their systems. It is a serious design flaw, otherwise Nintendo wouldn't be fixing this issue for free and allegdly making the top screen's rubber feet longer so that the screens no longer touch.

I know no one really means it, but at least I feel insulted everytime someone implies we get the scratches because we've not been closing our 3DS's carefully enough.

Edited on by Olaf-symbiote

Your parlor tricks don't amuse me, boy!
My 3DS FC: 2707-1588-9486
My sister's 3DS FC: 2191-7843-7694

the_shpydar

No insult or offense intended. Just as far as i can tell, it's only a handful of people on the interwebs who are complaining about this, generally younger gamers (who, not to over-generalize, don't necessarily take as much care of their expensive electronic devices), and no one i know IRL has it happening, so i really don't get how this is happening at all if it isn't from poor handling.

The Shpydarloggery

Link79

You know that Rim on the lower screen that's leaving the marks?
Keep it clean and free of dust and sweat from your fingers.
Then you shouldn't have problems with the marks.

What gets me about this whole thing is people are actually sending their 3DS's away for repairs.
So everytime you get a scratch it's back for a fix up right?
You do realize of course it's a plastic screen and simply dust is enough to leave scratches?
Unless it was a glass screen like on a TV it's impossible to never get a single scratch.
You are fighting a losing battle and sending it away constantly is just going to deprive you of playing it.
Good luck with that then.

Edited on by Link79

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

Olaf-symbiote

Link79 wrote:

You know that Rim on the lower screen that's leaving the marks?
Keep it clean and free of dust and sweat from your fingers.
Then you shouldn't have problems with the marks.

What gets me about this whole thing is people are actually sending their 3DS's away for repairs.
So everytime you get a scratch it's back for a fix up right?
You do realize of course it's a plastic screen and simply dust is enough to leave scratches?
Unless it was a glass screen like on a TV it's impossible to never get a single scratch.
You are fighting a losing battle and sending it away constantly is just going to deprive you of playing it.
Good luck with that then.

Yeah, me and my sister will just let our massive scratches be there and distract our enjoyment of the game. What a brilliant idea. Nintendo obviously screwed up the 3DS's design by leaving a huge design flaw, and I don't see how it's so unreasonable to make them fix their flaw.

And I'd rather be deprived of my gaming for a while than look at the scratches. I don't always see them when playing, but when the colors in the game are brighter, they're more visible, which really kills my enjoyment.

And I don't see how we're fighting a losing battle. Even if Nintendo will only fix the screen and won't do anything to make it so that the screens no longer touch, we can just put a cloth between the screens after the top screen gets fixed, and there: no more scratches ever. I'd say we've won this "losing battle" then.

And why is it such a bad idea to utilize our warranties and have Nintendo take some responsibility? Should the Xbox 360 owners have given up on their consoles when they constantly had the RROD, since sending it to Microsoft was obviously a "losing battle"?

I'm not trying to be mean to you, but I'm confused by your idea of just letting the scratches be and playing with a damaged console with a blatant design flaw.

Edited on by Olaf-symbiote

Your parlor tricks don't amuse me, boy!
My 3DS FC: 2707-1588-9486
My sister's 3DS FC: 2191-7843-7694

Link79

Well I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out how permanent scratches are being put on the screen.
If no pressure is being applied to the screen while the 3DS is closed and you aren't shutting it hard it shouldn't be possible.
You'd have to be pressing on the screen with something abrasive wouldn't you? The lower screens rim is smooth and it's not lined with sand paper. Whatever's causing the marks almost has to be dirt or debris and not because of the rim itself.
The 3DS's instruction manual even tells you not to continue playing with a dirty screen as it will damage it.

If it makes you feel better to send it in then by all means go ahead.
I just think it's more hassle than it's worth.

Wii and 3DS ID Link

Ploppins

Link79 wrote:

Well I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out how permanent scratches are being put on the screen.
If no pressure is being applied to the screen while the 3DS is closed and you aren't shutting it hard it shouldn't be possible.
You'd have to be pressing on the screen with something abrasive wouldn't you? The lower screens rim is smooth and it's not lined with sand paper. Whatever's causing the marks almost has to be dirt or debris and not because of the rim itself.
The 3DS's instruction manual even tells you not to continue playing with a dirty screen as it will damage it.

I also don't quite understand how scratches can appear if pressure isn't applied to the upper screen, but I will take Olaf-symbiote's word that he has taken good care of his system. Besides, it's his system and his time. There's no need to lecture him. If you can live with playing on a scratched up 3DS, then don't bother sending yours in if that ever happens to yours. If others are unable to tolerate that annoyance, let them take advantage of their warranty and get their system fixed.

PSN/NNID: Ploppins_
3DS Friend Code: 2750-1169-2298

Pac-Suit

No, Even though I take it with me all the time to collect Streetpasses, and play some Ridge Racer, I haven't seen any Marks on my Screen.....Maybe it's because I clean it after every session.

And by the Way, it isn't the screen that's getting those scratches, it's the protective Plastic cover.

Currently Playing: Kirby: Mass Attack
(Can I just leave them there to dance and air-hump?)

Sockymon

Yep, mine does. The general build and design of the 3DS just doesn't seem as well thought out as the DSi (IMHO)

Sockymon

Twitter:

Odnetnin

the_shpydar wrote:

No insult or offense intended. Just as far as i can tell, it's only a handful of people on the interwebs who are complaining about this, generally younger gamers (who, not to over-generalize, don't necessarily take as much care of their expensive electronic devices), and no one i know IRL has it happening, so i really don't get how this is happening at all if it isn't from poor handling.

Maybe some 3DS had the design flaw of the little nubs in the top corners not reaching far enough and some didn't. I can't explain it, but I treat my 3DS like gold.

Anyway I explained the problem (along with a few other niggling issues) to Ninty and got it all packaged up and shipped off yesterday. The lady on the phone was very nice about it too. Hope it gets back safe before September 1st!

EDIT: @Birdman13 My rep asked me the color too and I told her Aqua Blue, so it's not a racist issue.

Edited on by Odnetnin

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

Birdman

Alright, with the comment from @Oddy, when you get your 3DS? Maybe the launch batch (when I got mine) was defective, like the original 360 batch.

I'd also recommend to anyone shipping their 3DS using FedEx to track their package via e-mail. It's ways more convenient (and reliable) than relying on FedEx to save your 16-digit tracking number(s).

Edited on by Birdman

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

JustAnotherUser

Yes it does, luckily I applied a screen protector to my 3DS the minute I got it so I am going to call up Nintendo to see if they can replace the nubs so when I get it back I can apply new screen protectors.
My Circle Pad also touches the left side of the top screen.

Edited on by JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser

Link79

Just a thought but are you guys carrying your 3DS's in your pants pockets?
I suppose that could also increase your chances of scratches. It might put pressure on the upper screen.
I was carrying it that way at first but decided it was probably a bad idea. It's kinda a tight fit.
I've had my 3DS since launch and closed it shut many times since and still don't have any marks.
Not trying to accuse anyone of being careless.

Wii and 3DS ID Link

JustAnotherUser

No but I do carry it around in my school bag, I don't think any major pressure is applied though.
I won't be having it in the same place as usual when I have the nibs replaced.

JustAnotherUser

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.