Forums

Topic: Concern: Where's the hype for Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire?

Posts 121 to 140 of 148

Blast

Stomatopod17 wrote:

I think gamefreak is trying too hard with mega evolution.. While the x/y storyline outside mega evolution with team flare and all was bad.. mega evolution's whole introduction is rather.. meh who cares.

It'd be different if maybe you heard about mega evolution and everybody were SEARCHING for a keystone the entire game than finally got it after the E4 but with this whole story of trying to figure out the "Mystery of mega evolution!" is like trying to learn about what causes a sandstorm in the game.. with no definitive explaination in the end wasting your time..

The mystery is! You press a stone, a pokemon evolves, they revert back when weakened or their job is done, I'VE SOLVED THE MYSTERY OF LIFE!

Ohmygawd you are sooo right!!! Why is Gamefreak so dang worried about Mega Evolutions?!?!? They should be focusing on telling awesome stories and giving the REAL Pokemon fans what they want!!!!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

LzWinky

Not to mention they kept marketing the new "battle styles" like they were some major step forward. Flying battles...you battle with flying types in the sky. Woo?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Bolt_Strike

Unca_Lz wrote:

I felt that X and Y were going somewhere with the story...then they realized they wanted to have a half-donkeyed story and fell apart towards the end. No really, it had such a great set up only to cop out in the end.

I actually think XY had the opposite problem, the final confrontation with Team Flare was good, but the storyline didn't really go anywhere until that point. I mean, the whole time you battled Team Flare it was basically "OMG, Team Flare is doing bad stuff for some unknown reason, go stop them!", they were just random evil team encounters for the sake of random evil team encounters. And then comes the final battle with Team Flare at the end, and you get bombarded with plot with the Ultimate Weapon and AZ. I think it would've been a little better had they spaced these reveals out a little more, maybe expose a bit of Kalos' back story with the war and the Ultimate Weapon earlier in the game, and build up a bit more towards the final battle with Team Flare.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

DefHalan

Unca_Lz wrote:

Not to mention they kept marketing the new "battle styles" like they were some major step forward. Flying battles...you battle with flying types in the sky. Woo?

For some reason Farfetch'd can't fight in those... weird.

Also I dislike Mega Evolution. They took a lot of the Pokemon people already use and made them even better, making my job as a Grass Trainer even harder

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

LzWinky

I suppose you're right, but then again I rarely think about the stories in Pokemon at all. Just give me the Battle frontier and I'll be spending more time in that than the regular game

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

DefHalan wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Also I dislike Mega Evolution. They took a lot of the Pokemon people already use and made them even better, making my job as a Grass Trainer even harder

They took the most broken ones and made them better. Good job Game Freak!

Eel

Farfetch'd can't participate in sky battles because it is the only fully evolved flying type that escaped the "permanent flying" syndrome that plagues the others.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Araquanid

Unca_Lz wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

I don't see why giving mewtwo 2 megas is a bad thing right? right?..

2 seconds later

Untitled

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

MsJubilee

Nah 6 mega evolutions for mewtwo for each generation is enough.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

DefHalan

Unca_Lz wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

http://www.serebii.net/xy/megaevolutions.shtml

Looks to me like they just took the popular ones, and maybe some broken but mostly popular

Blast

Unca_Lz wrote:

I suppose you're right, but then again I rarely think about the stories in Pokemon at all. Just give me the Battle frontier and I'll be spending more time in that than the regular game

You love Battle Frontier, too? fist bump

Master of the Hype Train

Sleepingmudkip

Blast wrote:

What kills me is that there is literally so much potential in the Pokemon games. Like honestly.. we could be having epic tales of betrayal, romance, power, friendship, etc while staying true to what makes a Pokemon game awesome. If Gamefreak is too afraid to do stuff like this then they need to do a spinoff series for Wii U or 3DS.

Well would the stories you thinking off be cannon? I do like this idea as long as it doesnt turn into a final fantasy type story. i would like to keep the original aspects of the games also i would like gamefreak to truly explore pokemon lore like maybe celebi or dialga sends you back in time and you have to fight the baddies to stop the future from changing etc.

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

DefHalan

Part of the reason for such light stories in Pokemon games are the exploration aspects. Game Freak wants people to try as many different Pokemon and endlessly search areas until all the hidden stuff is found. With a bigger story players will spend less time exploring. You may disagree but when I play other RPGs I normally have certain party members I use all the time to beef up their stats and others that I never use because I don't want them taking EXP from my mains. With Pokemon and its easy approach to story I can spend time learning new pokemon and training anyone I want without fear of forgetting where I am going or what I am doing. The games that they tried to expand on Pokemon stories people didn't like. A lot of people didn't like Gen 3 which had different enemies who used different pokemon in each version. In Colosseum and Gale of Darkness they created much more story based Pokemon games but people didn't like them. Yes there were other problems but those problems are affected by the story. They didn't want you hunting for a particular pokemon for hours in some grass when you had an important task to complete.

Not saying they can't do it, just saying I understand why not.

Bolt_Strike

DefHalan wrote:

Part of the reason for such light stories in Pokemon games are the exploration aspects. Game Freak wants people to try as many different Pokemon and endlessly search areas until all the hidden stuff is found. With a bigger story players will spend less time exploring. You may disagree but when I play other RPGs I normally have certain party members I use all the time to beef up their stats and others that I never use because I don't want them taking EXP from my mains. With Pokemon and its easy approach to story I can spend time learning new pokemon and training anyone I want without fear of forgetting where I am going or what I am doing. The games that they tried to expand on Pokemon stories people didn't like. A lot of people didn't like Gen 3 which had different enemies who used different pokemon in each version. In Colosseum and Gale of Darkness they created much more story based Pokemon games but people didn't like them. Yes there were other problems but those problems are affected by the story. They didn't want you hunting for a particular pokemon for hours in some grass when you had an important task to complete.

Not saying they can't do it, just saying I understand why not.

That shouldn't be an issue then, because they pretty much killed all sense of exploration in 5th gen. Regions are completely linear now, you can only progress in one direction the entire game aside from the occasional optional area (usually a cave or dungeon). So they can easily make a good story as you proceed down the only path you can take to advance the game.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

2Sang

Does anyone even remember it's coming out? Smash is coming out before, and will likely crush ruby/sapphire in sales due to media publicity being directed towards smash.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

Eel

2Sang wrote:

Does anyone even remember it's coming out? Smash is coming out before, and will likely crush ruby/sapphire in sales due to media publicity being directed towards smash.

It could always be the other way around. Pokemon doesn't really need to be publicized by Nintendo to sell.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Blast

The potential in Pokemon games is crazy massive. Imagine starting your adventure in the game and you see Pokemon like Charizard and Dragonite flying over your head as you wander around your home. Imagine a compelling story that has player decisions. Imagine a Pokemon game that actually encouraged exploring and veering off the path you should go. Imagine playing a Pokemon game where you become the Pokemon Champion and you actually BEHAVE like a Pokemon Champion in the game. You defend your title and keep gym leaders strong. Imagine a time skip of like a year later... when you're character is older and can ride a boat to awesome island or something.

JUST SO MANY IDEAS GAMEFREAK COULD BE DOING.

Master of the Hype Train

FlaygletheBagel

All that's been said about beefing up the story in Pokémon games is spot on. I like the gameplay in most RPGs, but because RPGs tend to be dozens of hours long, the game play itself doesn't often feel like it's enough to keep me playing till the end.

A great story, on the other hand, is the one thing that keeps me coming back to RPGs. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Fire Emblem Awakening are my favorite RPGs I've ever played, but part of what made those games so much fun was the well-written story.

If pokemon had some good writers and wrote about something other than cheesy things like friendship, or a trainer's special bond with his or her Pokémon, or how it's wrong to abuse them, I would be more inclined to stick with Pokémon games and finish them. But I burn out easily with them, because to me, there's no interesting reason for me to be doing what I'm doing. The turn based battles and item collecting and linear exploration aren't enough to keep me interested for the full length of a Pokémon game. That's just me though.

Games I'm playing: Hotline Miami 2, Smash Wii U, GTA V, Dying Light, Resogun

Recently completed games: Hotline Miami, P.T., Shovel Knight

Games I want soon: Zelda U, The Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture

3DS Friend Code: 5429-7042-7857 | Nintendo Network ID: AmateurSalad8

Bolt_Strike

Morphbug wrote:

Outside of very little of Kanto and even less of Jotho, all pokemon regions are as linear as they can be.

Not really. Older games had backtracking and optional paths. There was some degree of linearity, sure, but usually you had some degree of freedom as to where to go and you didn't just follow one path with a bunch of cities dotted along it. The only region that even comes close to Unova and Kalos in terms of linearity is Johto, which is mainly linear but branches into two separate paths at Ecruteak City.

Bolt_Strike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.