Forums

Topic: Comparisons to the Vita from a Longtime owner who recently switched to 3DSXL

Posts 41 to 54 of 54

slidecage

SCAR392 wrote:

@slidecage
Ya, and that's your and many others' opinions. That still doesn't change that are flaws to services, as I pointed out. I think a better subscription service could exist.

So you're saying that you'll pay $50 a year(no discounts included) to have a service that will exist for as long as PS exists? How long do you think Sony can provide you $300+ worth of games for $50 a year? You would have to spend upwards at least another $40 on discounted items in order for it to be worthwhile for Sony as a business.

PS+ and PS Now just look like a huge gamble that derives from a console they were already losing money from(I'm talking about PS3).

pretty sure sony had this program in japan for years before it came over here so i doubt it will go under anytime soon. And every month isnt great look at this month what they are given away. Also they mostly give away older games in the first place. like i said either way i made my cash by 3x last year on the service.

also look at how many small companies can publish on sony then nintendo. Last year i would say Yea i can see the VITA crashing and burning but now i think we will see a new handheld nintendo system before we see the next sony one.

It would not shock me if we even saw the 3ds replacement system at E3 this year (now im not saying it will be out this year) just saying i would not be shocked to see news about the new system... if ihad to guess new systems

Nintendo handheld Summer 2015 japan Usa sometime in 2016

I doubt we see anything from sony until E3 2016 BUT it would not shock me if sony decided to just get out of handhelds all together as well i say sony next handheld will be some sort of Tablet/video game system... I think the VITA will be sony last Pure handheld game system

and just so We are clear... Im not putting down the VITA or 3DS both are great systems to have BUT i play my vita a lot more then i play my 3DS. a

One game though Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars is a lot better on the vita then 3ds (could not stand the 3ds one) dont know if the 3ds just did not have the power to pull it off or it was rushed .

Edited on by slidecage

slidecage

kkslider5552000

I think after the previous 2 launches that everyone ever should want Nintendo to wait as long as humanly possible to release new hardware.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

psxsage

Nintendo really only started to make money within the last 1.5 years on the 3DS between losses on price cuts slow launch etc. We won't see a new Nintendo handheld Till Holiday 2016 IMO. I'd see the Wii-U getting replaced sooner since it's failing harder than a Kennedy at Sobriety and Nintendo has little chance of ever recouping any serious cash from it.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.
Cosmo black 3DSXL Friend code = 2681-1121-3963
Playstation 3,4 PSN Name = Psxsage
Galaxy Note 3,Galaxy Tab ...

kkslider5552000

terrible opinion. 3DS should last until 2018 as far as I'm concerned. NO NEW LAUNCH WINDOWS, STOP IT >: (

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

psxsage

Terrible or not and while anyone would be guessing at best at this point by using a crystal ball I would be shocked.. Beyond any words if it lasted until 2018 especially with the fast advances in mobile chipsets, I mean hell the upcoming Nvidia (k1?) mobile chipsets due soon are supposed to out power ps3 and 360 by a few times over and fit into a tablet so.. Yeah.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.

CaviarMeths

The Wii U doesn't do anything that would be accomplished better with more power.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

psxsage

I was actually referring to the 3DS in that comment so excuse me for not clarifying. But that said I would take issue with your comment since as we go forward and last Gen systems are dropped the wii-u is so far behind the ps4 and Xbox One graphically it will begin to lose more and more third party titles since the ps4 and Xbox One are x86 based they are not going to bother with a harder to program weaker architecture with a smaller install base.

SCRAPPER392

psxsage wrote:

I was actually referring to the 3DS in that comment so excuse me for not clarifying. But that said I would take issue with your comment since as we go forward and last Gen systems are dropped the wii-u is so far behind the ps4 and Xbox One graphically it will begin to lose more and more third party titles since the ps4 and Xbox One are x86 based they are not going to bother with a harder to program weaker architecture with a smaller install base.

You're really misinformed... No offense. Wii U still has a bigger install base than Xbox One, and the it took 5 months for PS4 to catch up to Wii U's install base.

When you take into consideration that 3rd parties had their goals set for Xbox One and PS4, since the beginning, the idea that it's because of the install base, is entirely false, especially with Xbox One's numbers being what they are.

The architecture itself isn't weak. There are variety of architectures that a computer can use, and they all have their own variances, which includes specs. If you think PowerPC is a weak architecture, you haven't a clue what you're saying.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

turtlelink

pixelman wrote:

The Vita has Persona 4 Golden though, and that's kind of an automatic win in my book.

He gets it!

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

psxsage

@Scar392 First of all when i said smaller install base i was referring to future tense once the PS4/Xbox one pickup and they Drop support for PS3/Xbox 360 entirely (Of which no offense taken but i assure you i am Exceptionally informed) And it only took the PS4 3 months to outsell the Wii-U globally

http://n4g.com/news/1464608/playstation-4-outsells-the-wii-u-...

The thing is with the XBox One and PS4 as far as third parties go is they use X86 architectures so programming for them and or porting from PC is a total breeze. So it really isn't hurting developers any with a smaller install base to make games for PS4 and Xbox one since the conversion is a very simple process.

Xbox 360 and More so PS3 are a PAIN to program for but the install base is HUGE and as of this moment the install base on all next gen systems is too small to focus solely on them for most games.

PowerPC has run it's course even Apple realized this and gaveup on using the chips as they are infinitely more difficult to program for,Run hotter and the technology never kept pace with X86 chipsets. There is a reason virtually nothing major on the market uses PowerPC anymore and honestly i question why NIntendo did this time around also. As someone with an MCSE A+,N+ Background and used to sell systems on Ebay for years under LiquidEvil i'm quite familiar with the architectures that have come and gone and the pros and cons of each. The Wii-U in specific though once the install base of the Xbox one and PS4 is large enough to drop support for Xbox 360/PS3 is

A. More difficult to program for than either the PS4 or XBox one by a LONG shot thus costs more dollars to port and even more so to do from the ground up to maximize the potential of the Wii-U

B. As Next gen moves on the Wii-U is VERY behind the PS4/Xbox One in specs and many of the Effects/shaders/lighting etc in next gen titles would have to be stripped so bare for the Wii-U to handle it i'm not sure it would be worth it honestly for several games.

C. Regardless of your personal feelings on the PowerPC architecture the particular chip in the Wii-U while more powerful than either 360 or PS3 when compared to Xbox one and PS4 is like comparing a Ford to a Ferrari,In addition it has Less Ram,Slower Ram,Slower GPU..everything about the console is way behind spec for the generation. While this is a non issue for First party games since Nintendo creates those in house For third party games it's simply not worth the concessions to the game,Costs,likely poor review scores that will result in the inferior ports to follow.

The Wii-U is Powerful enough for NIntendos first party titles and might be for Third party for another year (2 tops) but it's hardware is so incredibly far behind,and it's development costs so much higher that i don't think the issue with Third party games will change.

Believe me if developers thought they could make money on Wii-U they would do so. I don't think you would hear any company saying Screw extra profits! We just hate nintendo!

Cheers

CaviarMeths

3rd parties will jump all over the opportunity to slap together quick and dirty ports of PC games, but if we're talking power and architecture here, console gaming doesn't share a market with PC gaming. Both the PS4 and XBO are underpowered, outdated PCs, have been since day one they hit the market. If power and architecture were the keys to the kingdom, console gaming would have died after the PS1/N64 generation.

The PS2 sold over 150 million consoles not because it was powerful (it was less powerful than both Gamecube and Xbox, let alone PCs) and not because it had easy-to-work with architecture, but because it well-timed strategic price cuts, replaced the DVD player in your living room, and had a fantastic line-up of exclusive content.

Why someone would spend $500 on an XBO, $50 on an Xbox Live subscription, and $70 on a video game that run better on their PC and be $30 on Steam in a year is beyond me.

On a side note, I'm not sure about PowerPC having problems with heat, but the Wii U is a very efficient machine that runs quite cool. I left town for a weekend and the kids forgot the Wii U running with a game on the entire time. Came back and it was still running perfectly and under 50C. If it was one of the fat launch edition PS3s, the house would have burned down.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

SCRAPPER392

@psxsage
I know it's easier to port to like architectures, but they've done it before. Look at 6th generation. All of the architectures were pretty different, but 3rd parties still supported them. It's not that big of a deal. It wasn't then, it isn't now.

PowerPC hasn't run its course. Just because Apple wasn't sufficient enough for PPC programming, doesn't mean jack. Apple dropped PPC architecture, but Xbox 360 and PS3 support it to this day, and that was last generation. If anything, that was a bad decision on Apples part.

It's not difficult to program for. Difficult and different are 2 different instances. If PowerPC was the main console architecture this generation, we wouldn't even be discussing this subject. Having PowerPC architecture doesn't count for OR against Nintendo, as long as developers take a bit of extra time to accommodate it. Like I said earlier, they've done it before, they can do it again. There isn't really any reason to ignore Wii U, once they have their footing on Xbox One and PS4, because then they can focus on bringing Wii U "up the ranks". They're focused on ×86, because that's the majority of machines out there, but that doesn't make PowerPC any less important.

The specs are different, not better. You might as well say a cat is better than a dog. It's subjective. The Wii U can handle more threads per core, which is why it's more efficient, and under the presumption that the Wii U's GPU is indeed a GPGPU, that would already void your claim. Wii U can handle DX11 shaders based on the likes of Project Cars, a game called Candle, and some DX11 effects were used for Giana Sisters.
There's also the fact that that Microsoft has confirmed that DX11 compatible machines are already ready to accept DX12 resources. That jumps Wii U ahead to basically wherever Xbox One is.

I don't have personal feelings towards PowerPC. I just don't want people to be misinformed.

It's true that the Wii U has less RAM, but it doesn't have slower RAM, at least in comparison to the Xbox One. It's GPU isn't weak, either, considering it's a GPGPU. That automatically gives it enough performance to be a marketable item. PS4 doesn't have eDRAM like Wii U and Xbox One, and it would probably benefit from it, but I don't see anyone saying PS4 is "weak" for not having eDRAM.

Wii U's hardware isn't far behind. Microsoft is almost literally telling everyone how capable Wii U is, by saying DX12 is already compatible with DX11 systems.

Qwest

SCRAPPER392

An analogy to demonstrate the type of performance we're discussing, would be asking a smaller built person to jump as high as a larger built person.

Subject 1 - weight = 230 lbs - can jump 2.5 feet
Subject 2 - weight = 180 lbs - can jump 2.5 feet

Just because someone is bigger or has more muscle mass, doesn't mean they automatically have better performance. We're basically discussing statistics and what they mean to the situation.

Qwest

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.