Forums

Topic: Capcom charging $50 for Resident Evil: Revelations.

Posts 121 to 140 of 162

ejamer

shingi_70 wrote:

While Its not $0.99 for $5 I can go get the DS version of FFIII and For $6.99 on my Android Phone Bought A MMO called Chaos and Order that came with the first three months of play.

The DS version of FFIII was released in 2006 or 2007 depending on your region, is a remake of a game MUCH older than that, and was able to recoup the cost of development years ago due to sales at a higher price point. Conversion to iOS is quicker and less expensive, allowing them to sell at a lower price to establish a market base on that platform. Wait for 5 years (or 15 when remakes are being released) and you'll be able to get 3DS copies of Resident Evil: Revelations much cheaper also.

As for the MMO, three months of free playtime is great... but what are you left with after that time? The entire business model of an MMO is different so you are still comparing apples to oranges. More importantly, you tell me which name carries more weight: Resident Evil or Chaos and Order?

Yes, $50 is expensive. Everyone understands that. There is a price associated with quality; sometimes you can get great products for less, and sometimes you just need to decide which products are worth owning. For me Resident Evil (and eventually, Monster Hunter) are games that I don't mind paying a premium for because the quality and depth of the game experience justify the cost. For some people the asking price is too high - and there's nothing wrong with that!

Just think things through before posting. The internet isn't known for it's wisdom or rationalization skills, but all of these foolish comparisons and complaints aren't useful or meaningful to anyone.

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

LzWinky

My problem with the whole "Bigger 3DS" card argument is with the other systems Nintendo had. There were plenty of different sizes of DS cards on the market, yet the price remained the same (~$30-$40) with more expensive games coming from companies like Square Enix (go figure) and Nintendo. With those games I think the price comes from demand and usually the more expensive Nintendo games come with some extra

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

theblackdragon

JayArr wrote:

Metal Gear Solid SnakeEater 3D uses a 4GB card and Konami is only charging $39.99 for their game.

So yeah, stay classy Capcom........

nice. kinda throws their excuse right out the window, lol.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Raptor78

lz20XX wrote:

My problem with the whole "Bigger 3DS" card argument is with the other systems Nintendo had. There were plenty of different sizes of DS cards on the market, yet the price remained the same (~$30-$40) with more expensive games coming from companies like Square Enix (go figure) and Nintendo. With those games I think the price comes from demand and usually the more expensive Nintendo games come with some extra

So games that came on a variety of DS card sizes smaller than 2GB sold for between $30-$40 and now you have a problem with 2GB - 4GB games charging between $40 - $50... you see where I have a problem with your logic there. Infact most regular DS game were lucky if they went over 32mb and Square Enix games topping it off around 256mb.

Edited on by Raptor78

3DS Friend Code: 2621 - 2654 - 6355

OnLive Player Tag: Raptor78

Heroes of Ruin online profile -
http://heroesofruin.com/profile/Raptor1978

http://passid.ca/raptor

currently playing: Heroes of Ruin

Nintendo Network ID: Raptor78

zezhyrule

What about MGS3? Yes, it is awesome

Aviator wrote:

So because you play a game in multiplayer the gameplay hours mean nothing?

Guess I've only played about 100 hours on Monster Hunter Tri than, rather than 400.

You played MHT offline for 300hrs? o.0

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

ejamer

zezzy wrote:

You played MHT offline for 300hrs? o.0

(From what he said it was the other way around: 300 hours ONline, 100 OFFline. My times were similar if a bit smaller, for what it's worth.)

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

I-U

It's because RE:Revelations is a handheld game that I have no problem with the $50 price point. I paid the same for Dead or Alive Dimensions, and don't regret that purchase at all. After the DS, and now continuing with the 3DS, I feel that Nintendo's handheld offerings have outclassed their console offerings. I'm more open to putting $50 on the go, and as someone brought up earlier, $2.50 an hour is a great deal when compared to other media costs.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Knux

Oh look, Capcom is trying to rip gamers off again while trying to cover it up with another pathetic ''excuse''. Well, I am either going to pre-order the game off of Amazon where the price is still the same or buy the game used. Either way, there is no effing way I am paying $50 for that game. That company has become the Japanese Activision.

Knux

LzWinky

Raptor78 wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

So games that came on a variety of DS card sizes smaller than 2GB sold for between $30-$40 and now you have a problem with 2GB - 4GB games charging between $40 - $50... you see where I have a problem with your logic there. Infact most regular DS game were lucky if they went over 32mb and Square Enix games topping it off around 256mb.

I think you missed my point entirely

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

theblackdragon

Raptor78 wrote:

I remember original Game Boy games being in the $30 to $40 range as well, and they topped out at what, 8mb? it's not the size from generation to generation he's comparing, it's size for carts in the same generation.

BEST THREAD EVER

komicturtle

Try making a game like RE Revelations and then come back here :3

Cuz I'm sure you'd say something different.

komicturtle

Bankai

theblackdragon wrote:

Raptor78 wrote:

I remember original Game Boy games being in the $30 to $40 range as well, and they topped out at what, 8mb? it's not the size from generation to generation he's comparing, it's size for carts in the same generation.

Once again, that side of the debate is wholy irrelevent. Yes, the Capcom spokesperson was stupid to mention it and not properly form a context around it, but Capcom's PR is wholly inept right now, we've seen that multiple times.

What drives up the cost is the development time. The actual chips and whatsits are completely commoditised in today's environment, so price increases as a direct result of the cartridge storage would be small, at best.

Developing a game that is essentially twice as big of a project as anything else on the 3DS to date (it's an original game AND it's on a 4GB whatsit) is what drives the cost up. "Size" is indirectly related to that, since a smaller, cheaper game would also be smaller and cheaper on the consumer end.

I should hand a job application in to Capcom. They could probably do with my help

theblackdragon

@Waltz: If they'd chosen to place the blame firmly on the new features and whatnot they were packing into it, great! I'd totally be cool with them thinking their game alone is good enough to merit the price, it's whatev'. That's not what was said, however, and you can't go around wiping their butts for them and putting words into their mouths — you're not their PR guy! Until they either hire you or backtrack on their own, all we can go by is what they've said. Not you.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER

Raptor78

theblackdragon wrote:

Raptor78 wrote:

But the point was he was satisfied that something that was released in 2004 could justify a sale price of $30 -$40, GBA games justified a $20-$30 price tag so why cant he justifiy the $40-$50 price tag for latest generation.

Bankai

theblackdragon wrote:

@Waltz: If they'd chosen to place the blame firmly on the new features and whatnot they were packing into it, great! I'd totally be cool with them thinking their game alone is good enough to merit the price, it's whatev'. That's not what was said, however, and you can't go around wiping their butts for them and putting words into their mouths — you're not their PR guy! Until they either hire you or backtrack on their own, all we can go by is what they've said. Not you.

Well, yeah. As I said, their PR's pretty inept.

My comment was more to hopefully drag the debate away from that topic. It's really not the reason Revelations is (or should be) more expensive. But by the same token, just because the chips and whatsits that you stick into the 3DS aren't more expensive, doesn't mean that the game itself wasn't more exensive to make.

FOREST_RANGER

I wonder if Capcom is charging $50 to entice customers to pre-order early at $40 and tickle their purchasing compulsion.

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

LordTendoboy

YellowChocobo wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

Well, yeah. As I said, their PR's pretty inept.

My comment was more to hopefully drag the debate away from that topic. It's really not the reason Revelations is (or should be) more expensive. But by the same token, just because the chips and whatsits that you stick into the 3DS aren't more expensive, doesn't mean that the game itself wasn't more exensive to make.

Going by Capcom's logic, all games that come on high-capacity media should be more expensive, but their excuse just doesn't make sense. There are plenty of games that come on dual-layer discs, yet they are still priced the same as other games.

• Metal Gear Solid 4 was on a high-capacity 50 GB Blu-ray disc, and it only cost $60.
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl was on a dual-layer disc, and it only cost $50.
  • Uncharted 3 is on a dual-layer Blu-ray disc, and it only costs $60.
  • Lost Odyssey came on multiple discs, and it only cost $60.
  • Final Fantasy 13 was on multiple discs (Xbox 360) and dual-layer Blu-ray (PS3), and it only cost $60.

See my point? Capcom's reasoning of "higher capacity warrants a higher price* is a poor excuse.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

VmprHntrD

Anyway, this is off my list. Capcom is again at it with making excuses. It's a handheld not a console, so what if it's a 'console experience' so was Zelda, upcoming Mario Land 3D, and various others. Sure they used a 4GB card, but all they're doing in honesty is not eating the extra couple bucks per larger card and passing it on with gravy to the consumer like that's acceptable. It's not. $50 is what Zelda and Kirby Wii cost, $40 is the high end of 3DS games, lower end is $30, sales can be less. They're trying to punk RE fans and I hope enough of them wait and teach them a lesson. It's just not right pulling that, it's also the same thing EA tried when DS appeared years ago with $40 games vs $30 for the rest, and they got burned for it, yet people always try and scam again each generation.

I don't hope the game fails, I just hope it fails at $50 and sells at $40. We live in a free market system, no one is forced to eat that price, and hopefully most will be smart enough NOT to do it. SO what if there's like 8M and growing 3DS units in peoples hands, it won't be that hard to break even off the existing ownership base if not pull a profit, and with Christmas coming before hand with a lot of games finally, the base will grow even more, so I see no reason for fears of failure on this one. They clearly admitted anyway it's being greedy not wanting to eat the couple extra bucks buying the larger memory card for their game so that probably says enough right there.

By the way I do see Vita coming up with games like Uncharted. You're right, they're only $40, but you should be aware that game and a good many other REQUIRE a memory card to be bought and put into the system just for it to work! They're proprietary cards and they cost a good bit of money and it's a closed format so there's a choke hold on that too. Unlike previous devices where you could play with no save, these do card checks and fail. So there's even MORE greed coming into play in that corner than this $10 punching by Capcom to their RE fans.

Edited on by theblackdragon

My Personal Video Game / Accessory List
http://tanooki.byethost16.com/

LordTendoboy

tanookisuit wrote:

By the way I do see Vita coming up with games like Uncharted. You're right, they're only $40, but you should be aware that game and a good many other REQUIRE a memory card to be bought and put into the system just for it to work! They're proprietary cards and they cost a good bit of money and it's a closed format so there's a choke hold on that too. Unlike previous devices where you could play with no save, these do card checks and fail.

Sony might be nice and bundle a memory card with the Vita, just like they did with the PSP. If a memory card is required for some game saves, then including one with the system is an obvious decision. What if you got a PS3 with no built-in hard drive?

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

Raptor78

They have already said that they will not be including a memory card with the Vita, and as they are already selling at a loss I doubt they will change their mind.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.