Forums

Topic: Bravely Default: The Flying Fairy

Posts 521 to 540 of 828

KittenKoder

Ralizah wrote:

The boss in the Red Mage subquest is a real pain. This is the third time I've been thoroughly pummeled by this guy...

I love how gloriously difficult this game can get at times on hard mode.

Revenge is a killer support ability. Best tactic is to default all your characters, while the healer keeps healing, then do an onslaught for one turn with all your best attacks, since the maximum BP they can get is 3. Then go on the defensive for the next three turns to get your BP all up again and repeat. At least that works until you get the really massive damage attacks, at that point it's just "meh, so you have some more BP, take more damage than you can heal!"

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter:

KittenKoder

Jollykarp wrote:

Yep, the Red Mage boss fight is killer. If you're constantly attacking he'll always have BP, so he'll be able to get off a Cura every turn. So either be able to deal 2000+ damage per turn while keeping your party alive, or somehow damage him while minimising his BP gain...

Also I tend to dislike games where the main party end up at around Level 99 by endgame. I think that the final boss should be fought at around 70-80% of the max level, so that it's much easier if you level to the cap. That way, players who want a harder experience can level to 99 and then do the bonus dungeons. I guess it doesn't matter as much in this game though, since players who want an easy time have tons of other ways to get it (encounter rates, SP drinks, friend summons).

Normally I would agree, but not this time. BD becomes mostly strategy for the last few chapters, it's all about setting your characters up to optimize them for that area and boss fight, less about what levels they are at. It does make the game less tedious than most RPGs. I am finding some great value in abilities I never thought would be useful now that it's all an even playing field, like full cover for the knight and using equipment that has lower stat values for their "use" power.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog

Ralizah

KittenKoder wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

The boss in the Red Mage subquest is a real pain. This is the third time I've been thoroughly pummeled by this guy...

I love how gloriously difficult this game can get at times on hard mode.

Revenge is a killer support ability. Best tactic is to default all your characters, while the healer keeps healing, then do an onslaught for one turn with all your best attacks, since the maximum BP they can get is 3. Then go on the defensive for the next three turns to get your BP all up again and repeat. At least that works until you get the really massive damage attacks, at that point it's just "meh, so you have some more BP, take more damage than you can heal!"

So, this guy is exploitable in two ways, to my eyes. The first, indeed, is to try to hit him harder with single attacks so he can't constantly heal himself. Another way to make this fight easier, however, is probably to attach Abate Lightning as well, considering his most damaging move is a Thundara spell.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

devinias

KittenKoder wrote:

My only complaint about the game system, I wish the max level was reached after mastering all the job classes. I had them all to level 99 when only half the jobs were mastered. But the great thing about having it all maxed now is the game becomes more strategic in the last chapters, no matter what you have, you will have lengthy battles and the bosses will pull out all the stops. The drawback is knowing what status effects you're going to face, too many chances to prepare for them.

U have maxed your levels and jobs??

Currently playing: Mario Kart 8, W101, Lego City, and MANY eshop games. :)
New 3DS owner!!! MH4U, Zelda:MM, Pokemon Omega Ruby, Persona Q
3DS FC: 4141-5006-6082

3DS Friend Code: 4141-5006-6082 | Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

devinias

What are some thoughts on the Valkyrie class. I just beat her last night , and was noticing a lot of people don't prefer the class.

KittenKoder

devinias wrote:

KittenKoder wrote:

My only complaint about the game system, I wish the max level was reached after mastering all the job classes. I had them all to level 99 when only half the jobs were mastered. But the great thing about having it all maxed now is the game becomes more strategic in the last chapters, no matter what you have, you will have lengthy battles and the bosses will pull out all the stops. The drawback is knowing what status effects you're going to face, too many chances to prepare for them.

U have maxed your levels and jobs??

Yep, right after getting the conjurer one of my characters learned obliterate, set that ability then just ran back and forth in the Earth Temple until it was all maxed. Took about a day, but having them all maxed made no difference in how difficult the sub bosses are in chapter 8, when there are four of them in a single battle.

KittenKoder

Ralizah wrote:

So, this guy is exploitable in two ways, to my eyes. The first, indeed, is to try to hit him harder with single attacks so he can't constantly heal himself. Another way to make this fight easier, however, is probably to attach Abate Lightning as well, considering his most damaging move is a Thundara spell.

Abate lightning can help, but the default until full BP for attackers, then onslaught for one round (two if the player characters are faster) does the most damage to him, while giving him little to no advantage. Also there is a sword that nullifies lightning damage, though it's weaker you can give it to your healer.

Reala

thought the constant returning to the start kind of thing when you heel the rift each time, that got really repetitive imo, I know it was slightly different each time but it just wore a bit thin to me and made the latter half of the game less enjoyable than the first half, hope this isn't followed on in the sequel, everything else in the game was pretty solid though, but that repetition made this game an 8/10 for me rather than a 9 or 10

Reala

Ralizah

Hah! Equip everyone with Abate Lightning, turn Edea into a Valkyrie, give her sword magic, and suddenly Mr. Date Rapist wasn't so tough.

Magikarp3

devinias wrote:

What are some thoughts on the Valkyrie class. I just beat her last night , and was noticing a lot of people don't prefer the class.

imo, Valkyrie is good for random encounters since your BP is getting reset a lot. Judgement hits really hard and Crescent Moon almost guarantees the Sweeper bonus. The class isn't as good in boss battles though, where using 2-3 BP per turn is actually going to detriment your party efficiency.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

Ralizah

Haha, I just barrelled through Rusulka in two turns. First turn I chained four special moves. Then Edea mopped up with some electric attacks.

Which is funny, because when I held back, that seep attack kept killing me.

Edited on by Ralizah

Weedy

Argh, just walked up to a certain mage at the start of chapter 7 and got into a HUGE brawl!!! Managed to finish of the Knight but when the Fighter got low on health he spammed an explosive technique that wiped me out, that was 35mins of battle time that didn't end well ;( Consider my lesson learnt.

My favourite chore is Vacuuming, just like Luigi.
3DS Friend Code 5455 9510 6633

devinias

Has anyone started a new game with hard mode and the "normal" encounter setting not being touched? I am going through normal and feel the village was a bit meh...aside from the weapons that I can't afford. There is very little use for it now that I have it completed before ending chapter 2. ,i feel I went about some parts wrong...the overall game I mean from the start.

Edited on by devinias

Spoony_Tech

devinias wrote:

Has anyone started a new game with hard mode and the "normal" encounter setting not being touched? I am going through normal and feel the village was a bit meh...aside from the weapons that I can't afford. There is very little use for it now that I have it completed before ending chapter 2. ,i feel I went about some parts wrong...the overall game I mean from the start.

Lol, i got ya there. My village is almost done (like 4 hours left to max everything) and im still in chapter one. I don't feel i did anything wrong though as my play style is slow. I do feel i might've bought a few to many weapons and armor from the town shops! From what i understand though none of that will matter in the later parts of the game when skill means everything!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

CaviarMeths

Gosh, I feel like I fell a little behind there. Only put about 3-4 hours into the game this week.

I think the level cap is a little too easy to reach. It hardly even scales upwards. Job growth rates seem fine, as I still have about 10 more jobs each to master for everyone anyway.

Almost done first playthrough! For anyone who has finished it already, is there any New Game+ mode? And if so, what treasures does it bring?

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

ZachBeacon

RE the Zombie Dragon: Easiest mini-boss ever!

ZachBeacon

ZachBeacon

Revive Spam!

I got a little worried when it got back up the first time but it stayed down the second time and I still won in one turn.

ZachBeacon

Ralizah

ZachBeacon wrote:

RE the Zombie Dragon: Easiest mini-boss ever!

I wonder if using a Phoenix Down on it will kill it in one hit?

KittenKoder

Weedy wrote:

Argh, just walked up to a certain mage at the start of chapter 7 and got into a HUGE brawl!!! Managed to finish of the Knight but when the Fighter got low on health he spammed an explosive technique that wiped me out, that was 35mins of battle time that didn't end well ;( Consider my lesson learnt.

In the next chapter it's 4 you face at once, most annoying optional bosses. However, try salve-maker compounding or attack items, with the attack item boost. You can hit with the thunder until the knight is down, and the others will be hurt badly enough to make them quick KOs. For chapter 7 you should have wind resistances up, Holly is a pain, but in chapter 8 you will need fire and poison resistance more.

The benefit to the attack items is that they do the same damage to a target no matter what, they ignore defense, default, and hit all opponents. The only thing that modifies their damage is the attack item support ability, and weaknesses or resistances of the target.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic