Forums

Topic: Bravely Default: The Flying Fairy

Posts 441 to 460 of 828

Reala

Tasuki wrote:

So I have to ask since I am on the fence with this one is this an RPG that is similar to old school RPGs like SNES Final Fantasy series? The reason I ask is cause I just want a nice relaxing RPG I dont want to have to time hits to do combos to attack or have to do extreme crafting mini games to get the best gear. (the town building or whatever it is that you need friend codes doesn't bother me) but I want something thats pretty simple battle wise. Basically something that isn't going to feel like a chore.

Reminded me a lot of the SNES/PSone era FF games, but made a lot more accessible there's no SMRPG type combo's in this one its all traditional turn based style, the battle system definitely isn't a chore and the whole brave system thing is very easy to grasp early on, the only part I felt that dragged on was the story towards the end, but it is a long game took me 80 hours to finish, my over feeling where mostly positive though and I can't wait for the sequel.

Reala

Rapido

Oh and Did I mention the Job Based System? FF V baby!

JRPG!! Nuff' Said

3DS Friend Code: 4210-4394-5877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tuklaw

devinias

Does anyone have roughly a level 25 Mammon nemesis they could send my way? "evil grin" My little thief desires some profit..

Currently playing: Mario Kart 8, W101, Lego City, and MANY eshop games. :)
New 3DS owner!!! MH4U, Zelda:MM, Pokemon Omega Ruby, Persona Q
3DS FC: 4141-5006-6082

3DS Friend Code: 4141-5006-6082 | Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Tasuki

@Spoony_Tech:
@Rapido:
@Reala:

Wow ok sounds great. I still have the demo downloaded and really haven't played it much cause I have been very busy so I might mess around with that till I can buy the game. I just didn't want to buy it and it be more like the newer RPGs and find it too much of a time consumer and then be disappointed in it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

oninowon

Tasuki wrote:

So I have to ask since I am on the fence with this one is this an RPG that is similar to old school RPGs like SNES Final Fantasy series? The reason I ask is cause I just want a nice relaxing RPG I dont want to have to time hits to do combos to attack or have to do extreme crafting mini games to get the best gear. (the town building or whatever it is that you need friend codes doesn't bother me) but I want something thats pretty simple battle wise. Basically something that isn't going to feel like a chore.

Not sure if BD will be for you then. Combat-wise, it depends on you how deep you want to get into it. On the surface there is the simple turn based with the twist that is the "Brave-Default" mechanic. You seem to be fine with that. However, there are deeper aspects to combat that you can delve into if you so choose. There is the way each weapon behaves with the Brave-Default method. If you get it right, you will be rewarded with a Special Attack option. There are "combat pieces" that you can put together and stamp a name on it and share it with others. Then there are the influences of the jobs that effect the effectiveness of the weapons.
I definitely would not consider combat in BD relaxing. You are constantly tweaking the various combat abilities together to find the one that is most synergystic for a particular character. During combat you have to consider whether to hold back or attack right away. The bosses are pretty smart. The AI seems to make their encounter very challenging.

oninowon

oninowon

Tasuki wrote:

@Spoony_Tech:
@Rapido:
@Reala:

Wow ok sounds great. I still have the demo downloaded and really haven't played it much cause I have been very busy so I might mess around with that till I can buy the game. I just didn't want to buy it and it be more like the newer RPGs and find it too much of a time consumer and then be disappointed in it.

I think you will find this game to be very much a time consumer. The biggest aspect to that is the rebuilding of the village. Depending on the number of villages you attract (via streetpass), it'll take you a certain amount of time to build up each building and each building have multiple levels.

The other is obviously obtaining all of the jobs and their respective skills (you get one each level).

So again, this game may seem like a throwback but as you begin to peel the layers, you will find that the game is far from being simple

oninowon

devinias

oninowon wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

@Spoony_Tech:
@Rapido:
@Reala:

I think you will find this game to be very much a time consumer. The biggest aspect to that is the rebuilding of the village. Depending on the number of villages you attract (via streetpass), it'll take you a certain amount of time to build up each building and each building have multiple levels.

The other is obviously obtaining all of the jobs and their respective skills (you get one each level).

So again, this game may seem like a throwback but as you begin to peel the layers, you will find that the game is far from being simple

As relating to the jobs, do most people lvl their jobs early on or just pick and choose? I am not used to having a lot of jobs to choose from...sorry if this seems a bit noobish to anyone.

Spoony_Tech

@devinias I pick and choose. The good thing is the job system slowly gets you into it. You only start with the freelancer and it will slowly introduce you to the rest. You actually have to defeat the enimies that have the job skills you need. At present I only have 4 avalible to me after about 4 hours of play!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

devinias

Spoony_Tech wrote:

@devinias I pick and choose. The good thing is the job system slowly gets you into it. You only start with the freelancer and it will slowly introduce you to the rest. You actually have to defeat the enimies that have the job skills you need. At present I only have 4 avalible to me after about 4 hours of play!

Well, I just got the first two side-quest jobs: thief and merchant...and realized there are a lot of jobs to master if I wanted to master them all to their full potential.

Spoony_Tech

@devinias I see what you're saying now. You need to have character specialize. Not all of you're characters should learn all jobs. Take the ammount of jobs and divide them by 4. Some skills will work better with certain jobs though so be careful who learns what. Once you feel comfortable with who has learned what then start stacking the jobs on multiple character.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

KittenKoder

Tasuki wrote:

Traditional, old school, turn based, strategic RPG. Yes. No real button mashing. Other than "special" attacks, you don't have a time limit for anything, you can take your time going through it. The strategic element is if you choose the safe combat options by defaulting, or be brave and charge into the battle with all your might, as well as traditional enemy weaknesses and resistances.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter:

oninowon

devinias wrote:

As relating to the jobs, do most people lvl their jobs early on or just pick and choose? I am not used to having a lot of jobs to choose from...sorry if this seems a bit noobish to anyone.

In my xp, the game nudges you early on to adopt the classes that you encounter. This makes it easier to overcome the encounters and boss for that particular area otherwise your only other option would be to grind even more. After a certain point though, when I have obtained a significant amount of jobs, I'll start to strategize what type of character skills will best fit my style of gaming. I like my party to be very offensive oriented so my characters will be buffed with skills that will do high damage with very little defensive abilities.

oninowon

Spoony_Tech

Well I have all my town unlocked and leveled to at least 4. Every shop has at least someone on it. Problem is I have all this cool stuff but no money to spend it on lol. Most is quite expensive. At least I can use the special attack stuff right away. Does anybody know the max level of the shops in your town?

MERG said:

CaviarMeths

Now that I have the Vampire job, I wish I would have done that subquest earlier. I have a feeling that I missed one or two of the genome abilities from a boss or two. So heads up if you haven't gotten that far yet - you can do the Vampire job subquest as soon as you get the Templar job and you'll probably want to do it ASAP. It's the Blue Mage type class that learns enemy skills, some of which come from bosses that you won't have a chance to redo if you wait to do the Vampire quest.

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Does anybody know the max level of the shops in your town?

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

e-love

I'm still deciding on if I should get this game or not

I love JRPG's for the most part. I've played several Final Fantasy games and loved them.
However for some reason I wasn't that impressed with the demo. How is the final version of the game?

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

Ralizah

Got my SE in the mail today. <3 The game is gorgeous. Set it to hard difficulty and Japanese voices as quickly as I could. I like how you unlock classes by defeating bosses!

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Spoony_Tech

CanisWolfred wrote:

Damn, the sub-scenarios are pretty dark...

So far i've found those really well written! It's not a chore to have to read them.

@Emaan If you like Final Fantasy then this is a no brainer! It's been great so far and half of the hand holding is optional. The other half is very well needed. This feels like the glory days of 16bit gaming with all the modern touches!!!

MERG said:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic