Forums

Topic: Metroid Prime Federation Force (and Blast Ball)

Posts 421 to 440 of 923

Joeynator3000

What about Other M?

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

DefHalan

Megumi wrote:

What about Other M?

Other M doesn't count

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Joeynator3000

...Ok. T.T

Keep it PG-13-ish.

DefHalan

Megumi wrote:

...Ok. T.T

I don't understand why either

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Joeynator3000

is so confused now, lol

Keep it PG-13-ish.

NintendoFan64

DefHalan wrote:

@NintendoFan64: Don't get him started on 3D World lol

Why do I get the feeling that I will soon start to regret my decisions in life?

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Bolt_Strike

NintendoFan64 wrote:

You seem to be forgetting something here: Just because a spin-off is trying something that isn't like the usual Metroid game, doesn't mean that's what direction the series is heading, because, again, it's a SPINOFF. You're allowed to stray away from the usual formula in the main series here. It does represent Metroid as a whole, nor the direction the series as a whole is heading.

Not to that degree. Even a spinoff needs to retain some connection with the main series, even in a different gameplay style. They simply can't get away from the series' roots without angering the fandom to some degree. Period.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Oh? Is Mario failing, then? Because there are games with characters other than Mario as the main character! And they usually worked!

The difference is that Mario was already providing a traditional platforming experience and they branched out. As opposed to games like ShTH and FF which are redefining the traditional experience with elements that don't belong.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Oh ho ho...this...this is too good...because a series with games that a lot of people enjoy will DEFINITELY have it's reputation destroyed by having a spin-off that doesn't turn out to good (I'm not saying it will be terrible, it could be good.)

"A lot of people" is a bit generous, Metroid has a pretty low attach rate on Nintendo consoles. They can't afford to make their fanbase upset, they need to appeal to as many people as possible.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

AW! Is little Bolty upset that he didn't get what he wanted? Is Nintendo not allowed to do something different once in a while?

There's doing something different and then there's blatantly limiting their audience. If Nintendo wants to appeal to everyone they can't have gaps in their lineup like this. So in a way, it is saying I didn't get what I want, but it's more than just me, my point is that Nintendo should try to make everyone happy.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

All these flavors, and you chose to be salty...you think that we wouldn't get a Metroid game that people would enjoy just because one game doesn't meet your tastes? You think that 3D World and Hyrule Warriors mean we can't have any more Nintendo games involving exploration?

You're forgetting your Economics 101. Nintendo has a limited amount of time and resources to make games, so they need to prioritize what they're working on. Now Hyrule Warriors and Triforce Heroes are fairly harmless because the Zelda team already had main series games lined up, but 3D World is kind of a waste, they're doubling up on linear Mario platformers when there's no collectathon game on the console (and while Nintendo claims it's a hybrid style, it most decidedly does not satisfy the collectathon side of things when the levels are all linear and need to be completed in order to progress). Likewise, Federation Force would be fine if we had a main series Metroid game lined up (or if it were more like one), but since we don't it also feels like a waste. Nintendo just isn't being smart about what they're choosing to make, they can't afford to branch out too much when they're lacking variety and several of their IPs are being neglected. The E3 2015 lineup is a good example of this, the general complaint behind that presentation was that they revealed spinoffs of games that needed main series Wii U entries.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

shaneoh

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Even if the game destroys Metroid's reputation? I don't think so, Metroid would most certainly be even worse off if FF comes out and it fails at what it's attempting.

I thought Metroid's reputation was destroyed with Other M.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

It's not just about FF being good. We've gotten a lot of games this gen that could be considered good in some respect, and yet a significant faction of the Nintendo fanbase is relatively unsatisfied with the lineup. Why? Because Nintendo isn't appealing to their tastes. And Metroid fans are certainly one group whose tastes Nintendo stopped appealing to, Nintendo has not been kind to fans of exploration based games like the Mario collectathons or Metroid this gen.

So it doesn't matter if it's good, it will still be bad because it's different?

Bolt_Strike wrote:

and yet a significant faction of the Nintendo fanbase is relatively unsatisfied with the lineup. Why?

Because their is no pleasing some people.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

It's more than that, I think even if we did have a dedicated Metroid team I don't think they'd be making the Metroid game we all want.

THEY don't have a dedicated Metroid team, but I'm still getting the game I approximately want.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Joeynator3000

Bolt, you talk too much, lol

Keep it PG-13-ish.

NintendoFan64

Bolt_Strike wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

You seem to be forgetting something here: Just because a spin-off is trying something that isn't like the usual Metroid game, doesn't mean that's what direction the series is heading, because, again, it's a SPINOFF. You're allowed to stray away from the usual formula in the main series here. It does represent Metroid as a whole, nor the direction the series as a whole is heading.

Not to that degree. Even a spinoff needs to retain some connection with the main series, even in a different gameplay style. They simply can't get away from the series' roots without angering the fandom to some degree. Period.

Alright, fair enough. A spinoff should still have some similarities to the game it's coming from. But this isn't the argument you were making. The argument you were making is that FF was a sign of where the Metroid series was heading, and the idea that a mere spinoff is a sign of where the series as a whole is heading is ridiculous.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Oh? Is Mario failing, then? Because there are games with characters other than Mario as the main character! And they usually worked!

The difference is that Mario was already providing a traditional platforming experience and they branched out. As opposed to games like ShTH and FF which are redefining the traditional experience with elements that don't belong.

Are we talking about experiences that don't belong? Alright: Metroid Prime Pinball. Compared to that, this is nothing.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Oh ho ho...this...this is too good...because a series with games that a lot of people enjoy will DEFINITELY have it's reputation destroyed by having a spin-off that doesn't turn out to good (I'm not saying it will be terrible, it could be good.)

"A lot of people" is a bit generous, Metroid has a pretty low attach rate on Nintendo consoles. They can't afford to make their fanbase upset, they need to appeal to as many people as possible.

So they can't try something different every now and then? Yes, it would be nice if there was a new main-series game in the works, but that doesn't mean you can't experiment from time to time.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

AW! Is little Bolty upset that he didn't get what he wanted? Is Nintendo not allowed to do something different once in a while?

Bolt_Strike wrote:

There's doing something different and then there's blatantly limiting their audience. If Nintendo wants to appeal to everyone they can't have gaps in their lineup like this. So in a way, it is saying I didn't get what I want, but it's more than just me, my point is that Nintendo should try to make everyone happy.

What do you mean by "gaps in their lineup"? I don't understand what that has to do with games being different than usual. Could you elaborate a bit more? And while yes, you shouldn't pi$$ off your fans, that doesn't mean that you're not allowed to try something different every now and then. Also, news flash: you can't please everyone, and you don't always get what you want!

Bolt_Strike wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

All these flavors, and you chose to be salty...you think that we wouldn't get a Metroid game that people would enjoy just because one game doesn't meet your tastes? You think that 3D World and Hyrule Warriors mean we can't have any more Nintendo games involving exploration?

You're forgetting your Economics 101. Nintendo has a limited amount of time and resources to make games, so they need to prioritize what they're working on. Now Hyrule Warriors and Triforce Heroes are fairly harmless because the Zelda team already had main series games lined up, but 3D World is kind of a waste, they're doubling up on linear Mario platformers when there's no collectathon game on the console (and while Nintendo claims it's a hybrid style, it most decidedly does not satisfy the collectathon side of things when the levels are all linear and need to be completed in order to progress). Likewise, Federation Force would be fine if we had a main series Metroid game lined up (or if it were more like one), but since we don't it also feels like a waste. Nintendo just isn't being smart about what they're choosing to make, they can't afford to branch out too much when they're lacking variety and several of their IPs are being neglected. The E3 2015 lineup is a good example of this, the general complaint behind that presentation was that they revealed spinoffs of games that needed main series Wii U entries.

That wasn't what I was getting at. What I was getting at was that you thought that ONE GAME not meeting your tastes made you think that we probably wouldn't have gotten the Metroid game people would've wanted, even if it was a main-series game. Yes, some of Nintendo's decisions have been questionable, but you missed the point I was making entirely!
Also, just because 3D World wasn't a collectathon doesn't mean it was a waste. It was a good game, and people liked it, not that you would know, seeing as how you haven't even played the damn thing!

Edited on by NintendoFan64

Bolt_Strike

shaneoh wrote:

It can get worse than Other M.

shaneoh wrote:

Not quite. It'll be bad because it's not what people want.

shaneoh wrote:

If you're talking about me, I can be pleased, I was with Nintendo's pre-2010 lineup. It's just this gen that's crap.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Alright, fair enough. A spinoff should still have some similarities to the game it's coming from. But this isn't the argument you were making. The argument you were making is that FF was a sign of where the Metroid series was heading, and the idea that a mere spinoff is a sign of where the series as a whole is heading is ridiculous.

It's a tricky situation because it's a spinoff, but it's also coming off as a reboot. The larger point I'm trying to make is that spinoff or not, people want to see the exploration gameplay in some form. They can either pair the spinoff with a main game or make the spinoff more like the main game, either way and I think people will be satisfied.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Are we talking about experiences that don't belong? Alright: Metroid Prime Pinball. Compared to that, this is nothing.

Pinball is harmless though, because we had main series Metroid games along with it. Federation Force, not so much.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

So they can't try something different every now and then? Yes, it would be nice if there was a new main-series game in the works, but that doesn't mean you can't experiment from time to time.

Yes, but now's not a good time to venture too far from the main game experience.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

What do you mean by "gaps in their lineup"? I don't understand what that has to do with games being different than usual. Could you elaborate a bit more? And while yes, you shouldn't pi$$ off your fans, that doesn't mean that you're not allowed to try something different every now and then. Also, news flash: you can't please everyone, and you don't always get what you want!

I mean that they're not doing a good job of creating a varied lineup. You have a lot of casual games, linear platformers, and not much else. There's not really much for the gamer that wants to sit down and explore.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

That wasn't what I was getting at. What I was getting at was that you thought that ONE GAME not meeting your tastes made you think that we probably wouldn't have gotten the Metroid game people would've wanted, even if it was a main-series game. Yes, some of Nintendo's decisions have been questionable, but you missed the point I was making entirely!

But it's not just one game. It's an entire lineup and general development patterns this gen.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

Also, just because 3D World wasn't a collectathon doesn't mean it was a waste. It was a good game, and people liked it, not that you would know, seeing as how you haven't even played the damn thing!

Linear fans already have a good game in NSMB though, and collectathon fans have nothing this gen. So it is a waste because they're not varying their lineup enough. It doesn't even matter whether or not I've played it, the core concept and mechanics just don't appeal to that side of the fanbase.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

shaneoh

Bolt_Strike wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

It can get worse than Other M.

I'm just repeating what people have said about Other M. I can almost guarantee that the next Metroid game after FF to be released will have people saying it will ruin the Metroid franchise. Isn't this what people have been doing to the Zelda series?

Bolt_Strike wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Not quite. It'll be bad because it's not what people want.

By that logic, nothing can ever be good, because nothing will ever meet everyone's expectations. FF can be a good Metroid game in its own right.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

If you're talking about me, I can be pleased, I was with Nintendo's pre-2010 lineup. It's just this gen that's crap.

I was talking in general, but if you're going into each E3 without an open mind and expecting to be disappointed, then there will be no pleasing you. This generation has seen a heap of quality games, plenty have been on the Wii U and 3DS.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

NintendoFan64

@Bolt_Strike: Allright, I am going to just make this one last reply:
1. Since when was Federation Force coming off as a reboot? You are literally the first person I've heard that said it was coming off as a reboot.
2."It'll be bad because it's not what people want"...so it'll still be bad because it's different.
3. If you think this Gen has been crap, either you and I have a different opinion, or you just haven't been looking hard enough.
4. Allright, fair point with Pinball, however I find Federation Force a much less bizarre idea for a Metroid game than F*KING PINBALL!
5. When WILL it be the right time to venture too far from the main game experience?
6. All right, yes, there's a lack of exploration, but that doesn't mean it's going to be that way forever. You thought that these games were a sign that the future looked bleak for exploration-involved games, but they don't! We can still have a traditional 3D Mario platformer at some point, we still have Zelda U, and we can still have a standard Metroid game at some point!
7.But 3D World isn't the same as NSMB. The characters have different traits, it's in 3D, there's the Captain Toad, Plessie and Mystery Box levels, the final world is different, there's more variety in the bosses, you get the gist.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm done.

Edited on by NintendoFan64

Bolt_Strike

shaneoh wrote:

By that logic, nothing can ever be good, because nothing will ever meet everyone's expectations. FF can be a good Metroid game in its own right.

Not saying that the game has to cater to the fans' every whim, but Nintendo shouldn't be blatantly ignoring what the fans want either. Unfortunately they've been doing more of the latter lately, and trying to dictate what people want instead of letting them have what they want. They should be doing a healthy mix of both, give people the games they're asking for and then surprise them with what they weren't expecting.

shaneoh wrote:

I was talking in general, but if you're going into each E3 without an open mind and expecting to be disappointed, then there will be no pleasing you. This generation has seen a heap of quality games, plenty have been on the Wii U and 3DS.

In a creative industry such as this one, pure quality is not enough. Games also need variety, good taste, and creativity, all of which have been pretty lacking this gen IMO.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

1. Since when was Federation Force coming off as a reboot? You are literally the first person I've heard that said it was coming off as a reboot.

It's a completely different style of shooter gameplay that lacks pretty much everything that defines it as Metroid, plus they're trying to attract a new audience. Not exactly solid proof that it is, but that's not a good sign.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

2."It'll be bad because it's not what people want"...so it'll still be bad because it's different.

Close, but not quite. Timing is a factor here, they don't want something different when they're not getting what they want.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

3. If you think this Gen has been crap, either you and I have a different opinion, or you just haven't been looking hard enough.

Well it's like I was saying in the Wii U Reflection Article, in addition to Nintendo not making the types of games I really like, a lot of games, especially from the bigger and more popular IPs, just feel so phoned in and repetitive now (with many of the platformers and Smash being major offenders). The lineup as a whole feels pretty soulless and lacking in the old Nintendo charm.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

4. Allright, fair point with Pinball, however I find Federation Force a much less bizarre idea for a Metroid game than F*KING PINBALL!

Eh, it fits. They took Samus' Morph Ball ability and applied it to a new game.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

5. When WILL it be the right time to venture too far from the main game experience?

When the main games themselves can satisfy that experience. There's not much point in a spinoff when the main experience is rare, it's only when there's a moderate gap between main games (about 2 or 3 years).

NintendoFan64 wrote:

6. All right, yes, there's a lack of exploration, but that doesn't mean it's going to be that way forever. You thought that these games were a sign that the future looked bleak for exploration-involved games, but they don't! We can still have a traditional 3D Mario platformer at some point, we still have Zelda U, and we can still have a standard Metroid game at some point!

It's not exactly reassuring giving us no indication that these games are even on the agenda and having us wait 3+ years to see them.

NintendoFan64 wrote:

7.But 3D World isn't the same as NSMB. The characters have different traits, it's in 3D, there's the Captain Toad, Plessie and Mystery Box levels, the final world is different, there's more variety in the bosses, you get the gist.

Those aren't exactly big differences.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

veeflames

Yikes. Some users here are being played around. XD
Anyway, I'm giving this game a solid chance. I think it has potential to be something different, yet Metroidesque. It would be nice to explore planets and fight baddies in the eyes of a GF worker. Fed. Force culd answer questions like how the GF fared without Samus at first. That'll be very interesting for a story.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

veeflames

@Bolt_Strike Just a quick question... Do you have a Wii U?

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Bolt_Strike

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

@Bolt_Strike Just a quick question... Do you have a Wii U?

The question is irrelevant because the problems I have are conceptual, not experiential.

Bolt_Strike

Sorry, this topic has been locked.