Forums

Topic: Metroid Prime Federation Force (and Blast Ball)

Posts 401 to 420 of 923

adamkop

I hope that they will show more of the game soon because it looked interesting to me. I like such spinoffs like Triforce heroes, because Nintendo never had solid online titles with innovative gameplay.
If the money from that game go for a new Metroid Prime adventure game then I will gladly buy a sequel as well.

adamkop

Blast

DefHalan wrote:

People seem to hate what they do not understand.

I am really excited for this game. Finally a Metroid game my brother and I can play. He is a huge Metroid fan and I really like the series too. He was disappointed by what he saw but he has come around and is at least interested in the game. As long as it is a good game then we will enjoy it. Can't wait to play some Blast Ball.

Hype!!!!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Bolt_Strike

Pokefanmum82 wrote:

says you. but you know nothing about it, at least not enough to make that statement. i, for one, can see this game for what it is. a spin off that looks like fun.

I didn't say the final game would be, just what we see at E3. The game is entirely salvageable if they makes the right changes, but the sheer amount of hatred for this game, least not of all the 90% dislike ratio on Youtube, sends a resounding message that the fanbase doesn't want a game that plays like it currently does. If they can retool the game, especially the level design, so that it retains more of the exploration elements in a new way befitting of a co-op based spinoff, then I think the fanbase would be more receptive of the idea and see the game for what it is. But if they make an entire game of bite size combat oriented levels then the fanbase is going to feel like Nintendo either doesn't know what they want or doesn't care.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Octane

@Bolt_Strike: The dislikes and the amount of hate the game got had nothing to do with its gameplay. We haven't had a Metroid game since 2010, so people were disappointed to see that the next game was a spin-off and wasn't the big Metroid game they were hoping for. Nobody had a problem with Prime Pinball, because that game launched when Metroid games were plentiful and seeing how we haven't heard anything Metroid-related other than FF, the near future isn't looking too bright for Metroid either.

Octane

jump

Well the chibi Metroid look of it is a perfectly valid complaint imo even if I'm not complaining about it myself otherwise yeah, it's a spin off who cares.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

whodatninja

What fans wanted was a mainline Metroid game on Wii U. Instead they gave us a spin off on 3DS.

Octane wrote:

@Bolt_Strike: The dislikes and the amount of hate the game got had nothing to do with its gameplay. We haven't had a Metroid game since 2010, so people were disappointed to see that the next game was a spin-off and wasn't the big Metroid game they were hoping for. Nobody had a problem with Prime Pinball, because that game launched when Metroid games were plentiful and seeing how we haven't heard anything Metroid-related other than FF, the near future isn't looking too bright for Metroid either.

Exactly.

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

Araquanid

Octane wrote:

By this logic, nintendo should never had made another metroid game until a new prime or mainline came out, which regardless, was never going to now, then, before, or probably the near future come out and never even seen development (and FF is made by a seperate team, this is just retro out of the scene not doing anything). MPFF basically just says metroid is still alive, and that metroid is still trying to expand on the universe, it's not dead like F-zero. Explain to me in what logical sense how MPFF is hurting the franchise? It's not, if anything the fanbase just gave it a reputation it didn't deserve so harshly, and I'm ashamed to even call myself a fan of the series and be labeled as one of them.

Fans are upset this game exist over nothing at all, which just gives me tumors like the graphics arguments... is it upsetting we got a spinoff over a main game? Yes.. would it be upsetting if we got nothing at all and no update on the metroid franchise? Probably more so, yet everybody prefers to make a sceptical of themselves trying to cancel a game to a franchise already considerably done with. To think we'd show moral support for the metroid series and persaude nintendo to make more metroid games instead of scaring nintendo with threats and hating the one game we're getting. This is like the big sign for nintendo that metroid is a pointless series to continue on with and just drop it entirely.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

KO-Cub

@MegaBeedrill: Just because Metroid is getting this game doesn't mean it's alive. Sonic maybe having games after games, but the true sonic feel that the franchise started with is dead and really gets overlooked. Intelligent Systems said they weren't done with Advanced Wars yet with the franchise. Like that, Advanced Wars is still kicking.

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

Bolt_Strike

MegaBeedrill wrote:

Octane wrote:

By this logic, nintendo should never had made another metroid game until a new prime or mainline came out, which regardless, was never going to now, then, before, or probably the near future come out and never even seen development (and FF is made by a seperate team, this is just retro out of the scene not doing anything). MPFF basically just says metroid is still alive, and that metroid is still trying to expand on the universe, it's not dead like F-zero. Explain to me in what logical sense how MPFF is hurting the franchise? It's not, if anything the fanbase just gave it a reputation it didn't deserve so harshly, and I'm ashamed to even call myself a fan of the series and be labeled as one of them.

Fans are upset this game exist over nothing at all, which just gives me tumors like the graphics arguments... is it upsetting we got a spinoff over a main game? Yes.. would it be upsetting if we got nothing at all and no update on the metroid franchise? Probably more so, yet everybody prefers to make a sceptical of themselves trying to cancel a game to a franchise already considerably done with. To think we'd show moral support for the metroid series and persaude nintendo to make more metroid games instead of scaring nintendo with threats and hating the one game we're getting. This is like the big sign for nintendo that metroid is a pointless series to continue on with and just drop it entirely.

Why do you think people want a main series Metroid game in the first place? Because they want to play an exploration based shooter obviously. The fact that they've left the series' roots unsatisfied (especially the exploration half of the equation, since there are far too few Nintendo games that are exploration based this gen) to the point where they've all but confirmed a main game isn't even in development coupled with the desire to attract a new audience gives off the impression that this is more of a reboot than a spinoff, and this could be a very bad thing for the Metroid fanbase. Like @KO-Cub I also have to point to the Sonic series as a warning of what Metroid could become if they go through with this, SEGA's played around with the core gameplay so much that the fanbase is completely fractured and can't agree on anything. Even if FF is successful, then you can imagine things going the same way with the Metroid fanbase disagreeing on whether or not the next Metroid game should be open world based or level based, cartoony or realistic, etc. and Nintendo's plan to attract a new audience to shore up Metroid's fanbase will have backfired. That's why they either need to retool it to be more Metroid like or cancel it, either way it prevents the game from tarnishing the series' reputation and diluting its fanbase.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Socar

@Bolt_Strike: You know..... after seeing countless games emulating the metroidvania style or even the prime style, I honestly don't see as to how there would still be a huge demand for the next metroid game. The only market that this game will probably focus on is hardcore Nintendo fans and casual gamers because for a game like this, it makes sense as to why Nintendo would do such a thing.

Also, your logic behind Sonic is a bad one. Sonic was experimented to death leaving other brands that SEGA STILL HAS TO THIS DAY! Metroid on the other hand was experimented with....well, while it may be out of love, care and passion that makes the series great, I want to say polish and the Metroid series even when you look at other m are polished as poor as M is and has done.

Here's the problem with the logic with FF, COD and all those other IP's. If an IP does well for a third party developer, the best strategy for third parties is to milk them to death with elements that no one ever wants from an IP ( Seriously Shadow holding a gun?) Whereas for a first party, they do whatever they can to make the game fun while satisfying the fanbase. Using spin off characters and making their own games is a smart move than changing the value of an IP.

Force is a spin off and while the wait for a true Metroid game is simply long enough, the fact that we atleast get something out of the series is worth considering. Who knows? Maybe this game will be good.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Blast

Lmao @ anyone not giving this game a chance even though there's far worse games out there. Most likely... The next big Metroid will be on NX. Metroid on bigger and better hardware than Wii U? HYPE. I love my Wii U but if NX can output crazy good graphics and better features than Wii U than let Metroid impress everyone on NX. In the meantime... I'll enjoy Metroid on 3DS.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

MsJubilee

This game got cancelled.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Pokefanmum82

it wasn't cancelled.

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

Joeynator3000

Pokefanmum82 wrote:

it wasn't cancelled.

Pics or it didn't happen.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

DefHalan

TwilightAngel wrote:

This game got cancelled.

Pics or it didn't happen.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Octane

MegaBeedrill wrote:

Octane wrote:

@MegaBeedrill: I think you should read my post again. There's no rule when it comes to releasing Metroid games, so I wasn't implying any ''logic'' there. But you said it yourself: ''is it upsetting we got a spinoff over a main game? Yes..'' That was what I was getting at. I don't really care either way, I can wait another 5 years for a Metroid game, but I understand why people are disappointed that no main / Prime Metroid got announced. And I don't need to explain why it is hurting the franchise, because I don't think it is. Even if this game is going to flop, Nintendo knows why, not because it's a Metroid game, but because it's a spin-off that nobody asked for.

About Retro Studios and Metroid. I cannot stress this enough, but the people that worked on Metroid Prime are long gone, they are no longer with Retro Studios. People questioning why Retro isn't working on a Metroid game, are essentially questioning the Donkey Kong Country team why they aren't working on a Metroid team. That just doesn't make any sense. Nintendo has no dedicated development team for Metroid at the moment and I think that is their biggest problem when it comes to Metroid.

Octane

Bolt_Strike

Artwark wrote:

@Bolt_Strike: You know..... after seeing countless games emulating the metroidvania style or even the prime style, I honestly don't see as to how there would still be a huge demand for the next metroid game. The only market that this game will probably focus on is hardcore Nintendo fans and casual gamers because for a game like this, it makes sense as to why Nintendo would do such a thing.

Wait, what? I haven't seen a single other IP that plays like Prime. The closest we have is No Man's Sky, which is also a FPS exploration game, but still plays completely differently.

Artwark wrote:

Also, your logic behind Sonic is a bad one. Sonic was experimented to death leaving other brands that SEGA STILL HAS TO THIS DAY!

Whether or not they have other brands to experiment with is besides the point, it's that Sonic himself changed so radically from game to game. Even if you ignore the questionable gameplay styles like treasure hunting, mech shooting, and the Werehog, the main Sonic gameplay of each game has changed from game to game, even differences between Classic, Adventure, Modern, and Lost World gameplay are so radically different and focus on different elements like speed, platforming, exploration, and combat to varying degrees that there's no consistency in Sonic gameplay whatsoever. Different fans want those different elements and because of that no one can agree on how Sonic should play anymore. Metroid's heading down the exact same path with this game.

Artwark wrote:

Metroid on the other hand was experimented with....well, while it may be out of love, care and passion that makes the series great, I want to say polish and the Metroid series even when you look at other m are polished as poor as M is and has done.

I don't think they were experimenting with Metroid out of love, care, passion, or polish. We wouldn't be seeing a product like this is that was the case. The fact that they're playing so fast and loose with Metroid's gameplay shows that they either don't understand what the fans see in the IP or don't want to provide it. I mean really, do you see any connection between FF and the main series beyond on a superficial level? It seems like they just took a generic FPS and slapped the Metroid brand on it, this isn't the byproduct of someone who really wants to make Metroid successful, it sounds more like they're selling out and trying to brute force Metroid into being something it's not to make it more mainstream.

Artwark wrote:

Here's the problem with the logic with FF, COD and all those other IP's. If an IP does well for a third party developer, the best strategy for third parties is to milk them to death with elements that no one ever wants from an IP ( Seriously Shadow holding a gun?) Whereas for a first party, they do whatever they can to make the game fun while satisfying the fanbase. Using spin off characters and making their own games is a smart move than changing the value of an IP.

Um... what? They don't do this if the IP is successful, that's the definition of fixing what isn't broken. They usually end up doing this if an IP is failing, and it usually tends not to work.

Artwark wrote:

Force is a spin off and while the wait for a true Metroid game is simply long enough, the fact that we atleast get something out of the series is worth considering.

Even if the game destroys Metroid's reputation? I don't think so, Metroid would most certainly be even worse off if FF comes out and it fails at what it's attempting.

Artwark wrote:

Who knows? Maybe this game will be good.

It's not just about FF being good. We've gotten a lot of games this gen that could be considered good in some respect, and yet a significant faction of the Nintendo fanbase is relatively unsatisfied with the lineup. Why? Because Nintendo isn't appealing to their tastes. And Metroid fans are certainly one group whose tastes Nintendo stopped appealing to, Nintendo has not been kind to fans of exploration based games like the Mario collectathons or Metroid this gen.

Octane wrote:

About Retro Studios and Metroid. I cannot stress this enough, but the people that worked on Metroid Prime are long gone, they are no longer with Retro Studios. People questioning why Retro isn't working on a Metroid game, are essentially questioning the Donkey Kong Country team why they aren't working on a Metroid team. That just doesn't make any sense. Nintendo has no dedicated development team for Metroid at the moment and I think that is their biggest problem when it comes to Metroid.

It's more than that, I think even if we did have a dedicated Metroid team I don't think they'd be making the Metroid game we all want. I mean look at what's happened with 3D Mario and games like Triforce Heroes, they've been intentionally watering down exploration in their games, so I don't think a hypothetical main series game would have much of that either, we'd probably have more games like Fusion, Other M, and Federation Force. There's been a definite change in development culture at Nintendo over the next few years, and that's probably more of a factor in why Metroid is on the back burner than not having a dedicated team working on it.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

NintendoFan64

Alright, let's get this over with.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Artwark wrote:

Also, your logic behind Sonic is a bad one. Sonic was experimented to death leaving other brands that SEGA STILL HAS TO THIS DAY!

Whether or not they have other brands to experiment with is besides the point, it's that Sonic himself changed so radically from game to game. Even if you ignore the questionable gameplay styles like treasure hunting, mech shooting, and the Werehog, the main Sonic gameplay of each game has changed from game to game, even differences between Classic, Adventure, Modern, and Lost World gameplay are so radically different and focus on different elements like speed, platforming, exploration, and combat to varying degrees that there's no consistency in Sonic gameplay whatsoever. Different fans want those different elements and because of that no one can agree on how Sonic should play anymore. Metroid's heading down the exact same path with this game.

You seem to be forgetting something here: Just because a spin-off is trying something that isn't like the usual Metroid game, doesn't mean that's what direction the series is heading, because, again, it's a SPINOFF. You're allowed to stray away from the usual formula in the main series here. It does represent Metroid as a whole, nor the direction the series as a whole is heading.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Artwark wrote:

Metroid on the other hand was experimented with....well, while it may be out of love, care and passion that makes the series great, I want to say polish and the Metroid series even when you look at other m are polished as poor as M is and has done.

I don't think they were experimenting with Metroid out of love, care, passion, or polish. We wouldn't be seeing a product like this is that was the case. The fact that they're playing so fast and loose with Metroid's gameplay shows that they either don't understand what the fans see in the IP or don't want to provide it. I mean really, do you see any connection between FF and the main series beyond on a superficial level? It seems like they just took a generic FPS and slapped the Metroid brand on it, this isn't the byproduct of someone who really wants to make Metroid successful, it sounds more like they're selling out and trying to brute force Metroid into being something it's not to make it more mainstream.

There's that magic word again: SPINOFF. It doesn't have follow the same formula that the usual Metroid game follows.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Artwark wrote:

Um... what? They don't do this if the IP is successful, that's the definition of fixing what isn't broken. They usually end up doing this if an IP is failing, and it usually tends not to work.

Oh? Is Mario failing, then? Because there are games with characters other than Mario as the main character! And they usually worked!

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Artwark wrote:

Force is a spin off and while the wait for a true Metroid game is simply long enough, the fact that we atleast get something out of the series is worth considering.

Even if the game destroys Metroid's reputation? I don't think so, Metroid would most certainly be even worse off if FF comes out and it fails at what it's attempting.

Oh ho ho...this...this is too good...because a series with games that a lot of people enjoy will DEFINITELY have it's reputation destroyed by having a spin-off that doesn't turn out to good (I'm not saying it will be terrible, it could be good.)

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Artwark wrote:

Who knows? Maybe this game will be good.

It's not just about FF being good. We've gotten a lot of games this gen that could be considered good in some respect, and yet a significant faction of the Nintendo fanbase is relatively unsatisfied with the lineup. Why? Because Nintendo isn't appealing to their tastes. And Metroid fans are certainly one group whose tastes Nintendo stopped appealing to, Nintendo has not been kind to fans of exploration based games like the Mario collectathons or Metroid this gen.

AW! Is little Bolty upset that he didn't get what he wanted? Is Nintendo not allowed to do something different once in a while?

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Octane wrote:

It's more than that, I think even if we did have a dedicated Metroid team I don't think they'd be making the Metroid game we all want. I mean look at what's happened with 3D Mario and games like Triforce Heroes, they've been intentionally watering down exploration in their games, so I don't think a hypothetical main series game would have much of that either, we'd probably have more games like Fusion, Other M, and Federation Force. There's been a definite change in development culture at Nintendo over the next few years, and that's probably more of a factor in why Metroid is on the back burner than not having a dedicated team working on it.

All these flavors, and you chose to be salty...you think that we wouldn't get a Metroid game that people would enjoy just because one game doesn't meet your tastes? You think that 3D World and Hyrule Warriors mean we can't have any more Nintendo games involving exploration?

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

DefHalan

@NintendoFan64: Don't get him started on 3D World lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Sorry, this topic has been locked.