3DS Forum

Topic: Animal Crossing: New Leaf Thread

Showing 701 to 720 of 5,964

AuthorMessage

Harrison_Peter

701. Posted:

mudjo wrote:

So far, I've used Perth (actual city – but which one?) but wanted to fit in Smashville but failed.

I've been to one in Scotland and one in Australia.

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers." - Carl Sagan

3DS Friend Code: 4055-3525-4443

Twitter: Harrison_Peter

AuthorMessage

Harrison_Peter

702. Posted:

Optimist_Prime wrote:

Emaan wrote:

Club Lol? Are they serious? <_<

444 was way cooler, and didn't sound like it was trying too hard to be trendy.
Look at me and my annoyances with the little things :p

To be fair you're not alone. I had an internal dialogue about whether they were trying too hard...
And checked which decade was on my sundial.

It's not just music, there's actually a bit of stand-up as well. If you think about it that way...

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers." - Carl Sagan

AuthorMessage

Emaan

703. Posted:

Harrison_Peter wrote:

Optimist_Prime wrote:

Emaan wrote:

Club Lol? Are they serious? <_<

444 was way cooler, and didn't sound like it was trying too hard to be trendy.
Look at me and my annoyances with the little things :p

To be fair you're not alone. I had an internal dialogue about whether they were trying too hard...
And checked which decade was on my sundial.

It's not just music, there's actually a bit of stand-up as well. If you think about it that way...

I checked the Wiki and it says 101, perhaps it's both? I mean, in the game it looks like 101.

I believe in make believe~
[20:48] Emaan dances the pikpik emaan;
[20:48] Sensei_PikPik does the pikpik emaan
The Emaaloggery
✰ I'm not really here that often anymore ✰

3DS Friend Code: 0559-6948-0467 | Nintendo Network ID: Emaann

AuthorMessage

OptometristLime

704. Posted:

^ @Emaan - yea I was thinking the same thing; and Club(bing) 101 is kind of an endearing / welcoming name. :D

Club LoL feels like a nod to an Internet "fad", which already sounds a bit dodgy and even antiquated down the road. Just my speculation, though. Of course, the latter name would lend itself to the online nature of this entry but it seems a bit... unprofessional. Still it's hard not to wonder what decision process eliminated Club 444. Was it too 'hip'; either way I'm sure KK was down for it. :p

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage

Harrison_Peter

705. Posted:

Optimist_Prime wrote:

^ @Emaan - yea I was thinking the same thing; and Club(bing) 101 is kind of an endearing / welcoming name. :D

Club LoL feels like a nod to an Internet "fad", which already sounds a bit dodgy and even antiquated down the road. Just my speculation, though. Of course, the latter name would lend itself to the online nature of this entry but it seems a bit... unprofessional. Still it's hard not to wonder what decision process eliminated Club 444. Was it too 'hip'; either way I'm sure KK was down for it. :p

They've done it in a way that means you can call it 101 or lol really. The sign could almost be either and there's no spoken dialogue in the game, so make it what you want it :) I guess there's something nice about a club that makes you laugh out loud.

Also, I strongly disagree with the idea that "lol" may soon become (or has already become) "antiquated". All evidence suggests otherwise. One sign of survival is its movement out of the internet, not just into text messages and written notes but even spoken language. I can't agree that it's still "an internet fad". It's in the Oxford dictionary (and others): http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/LOL

Some BBC coverage: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12893416

The funny thing is, we can view this as a bad thing, allowing slang to modify and cheapen our language... but that's how we got a lot of our words, and this happened in the 20th century, the 19th century, the 18th century etc. Slang becomes common and becomes a part of English. It's happened countless times before, but this one is from the internet, that's the only difference.

It's likely that many people here in this forum use English words without realising that they were originally slang that became incorporated into the language. Like describing something as being such a rush, or asking someone to "cough it up" when they have something they aren't giving you, or when you describe a lover as a flame ("she's his old flame"), or when you describe something easy as being a breeze, or using "G" to mean a grand, or using "coin" to mean money, or even using "low" to describe your mood. These were all slang that became a part of English (I paid special attention to American slang because I think there are a lot of American readers here). Kids growing up today have "lol" in their language. At that point, it's no longer a fad.

By the way, it's still called Club 444 in the Japanese version.

Edited on by Harrison_Peter

AuthorMessage

Emaan

706. Posted:

The reason we don't have 444 in the western name, is because those three numbers don't mean anything to us. Who ever says 444 here? Apparently, as I think someone mentioned before, the number 4, in Japan, is considered an unlucky number. So putting three of them together is kind of like a joke, that of course us in the west wouldn't understand. We hear 101 in quite a lot of things here, so I guess it makes sense.

I'm just going to go by the fact that it can be considered both 101 and lol, depending on how you look at it. As Dr. Shrunk does in fact have comedy shows there, and its a night club at other times.

I don't think I would be as bothered if it weren't for the cheesy commercial lady saying "Stop by Club Lol!" . Then again, I'm starting to question why this bothered me so much in the first place. :p

The Emaaloggery

AuthorMessage

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

707. Posted:

Hello lovely NL people!
This will be my first Animal Crossing game! I think I'm going to go with a Stephen King (favorite author) based name for my town, and Roland for my character's name... or just use my real name, we'll see.
It's very interesting reading all of your cool ideas!

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

708. Posted:

Less than a month until release!

My 3DS could use some play time. Nothing of interest has been released this year which is disappointing and the main reason it's packed away. Hopefully New Leaf will change this. :)

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

Blathers

709. Posted:

New Leaf and RWBY are the two biggest things I look forward to in June (plus Battle Sprites in Spiral Knights if anyone plays that)

Stay safe, kids: Make sure to save frequently during multiplayer, and always use a stylus!
Animal crossing stuff for sale: link

3DS Friend Code: 1848-2106-5430

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

710. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Nothing of interest has been released this year

Like video games much!?!?

I've been burning through my 3ds battery this year from all these fine games!!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

711. Posted:

OldMan-Tech wrote:

Like video games much!?!?

I do enjoy video games (I think), but 2013 isn't doing my 3DS any justice. Nothing seems to even remotely spark my interest. I didn't even think twice about Fire Emblem and Luigi's Boringsion.

On the other hand, I've been playing my HD consoles a lot since the year kicked off, lol.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

RoryLee

712. Posted:

Gonna have to buy my wife the Animal Crossing 3DS when it comes out. Ain't no way I'm gonna share my 3DS with her because I know she will play this non-stop.

Nintendo ID: RoryLee
3DS: 3007-8085-6351

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

713. Posted:

RoryLee wrote:

Gonna have to buy my wife the Animal Crossing 3DS when it comes out. Ain't no way I'm gonna share my 3DS with her because I know she will play this non-stop.

You're a good man......a bit selfish but a good man!! :P

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

RoryLee

714. Posted:

Lol! She knew what she was getting into before she married me. At least now we can play together when I have to go out if town for work.

Nintendo ID: RoryLee
3DS: 3007-8085-6351

AuthorMessage

Emaan

715. Posted:

:high-fives @Chrono:

We're almost there!

The Emaaloggery

AuthorMessage

MrWalkieTalkie

716. Posted:

Untitled
...Oh my.....

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

Chibi-Robo and Excitebiker for Smash!

AuthorMessage

Peachy

717. Posted:

The full site is up (minus "Take the Guided Tour" and "Connect, Play, and Share" which are coming soon):
http://www.animal-crossing.com/newleaf/

June 9th needs to get here faster. I've never played an Animal Crossing game but it looks like so much fun ;__;

Never thought I'd love the pink/white 3DS XL ♥
Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
3DS Friend Code: I'll post it eventually xD

AuthorMessage

ClassicJetterz

718. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Less than a month until release!

My 3DS could use some play time. Nothing of interest has been released this year which is disappointing and the main reason it's packed away. Hopefully New Leaf will change this. :)

Pfffft. I hope you're ready to party. My town's rocking.

You're blinded by romance, you're blinded by science...
Your condition is critically grave...but don't expect mercy from such an alliance..
Suspicion of tradition's so new wave!

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0397-4153 | Nintendo Network ID: ClassicJetterz

AuthorMessage

Emaan

719. Posted:

The website is making me even more excited. :O

The Emaaloggery

AuthorMessage

Marks

720. Posted:

Emaan wrote:

The website is making me even more excited. :O

I know, right? Everything is so perfect!

Say what now?
If you can do no good, at least do no harm. -Kurt Vonnegut
My Freerice

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1418-8196