Forums

Topic: 3DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 401 to 420 of 2,669

cc-plus

Thanks for your opinion everyone, really appreciate it! I'll give OOT another whirl tonight. I did use the in-game hints and a walkthrough as a last resort, I think it was mainly dungeon fatigue that got to me. Just the monsters constantly respawning when you realise you entered the wrong door or getting sent back to the entrance and needing to retrace your steps when you reload the game.

Gamesake wrote:

Can't tell you much about Link's Awakening, but I can tell you that OoT's puzzles only get harder. Puzzles are like the meat of the Zelda series sandwich, more so than story. You might like Skyward Sword better than any other Zelda (unless you dislike motion controls). It's cinematic and the puzzles play a new surprisingly minor role in the game. Even if you do get stuck, Fi will usually tells you what to do before you even do it and there's also an in game hint system back at Skyloft.

That sounds like a good suggestion, I never thought of that actually! I remember watching the trailers last year and really loving the art direction. The only thing that was holding me back was the fact I had to buy a new motion plus controller since I only had the old wiimotes.

cc-plus

HandheldGuru97

WaveBoy wrote:

How's Cat Trap, Balloon Kid, Shinobi(GameGear) and Fortified Zone for the 3DS's VC? Are they worth checking out? As for Bionic Commando, I'd rather play the NES original. Same deal goes for Double Dragon and Adventure Island....And then there's Blaster Master, i seriously can't stand the original....I still can't beat the final boss. And you'd have to kill me first to get to that point all over again. Grating tunes, horrible Dungeon gameplay and a few of the frustrating crazy bosses ruin it for me. How does the GB version fare in comparison?....

Other than that, I Plan on getting Metroid II, Avenging Spirit and possibly Game & Watch Collection.

Catrap is awesome, it is a really unique puzzle game, it even has a level editor. The music is fun and catchy, however it just one track through out all the 100 levels. But I guess for a early Gameboy game that is fine. Game and Watch Gallery is also fantastic there are four games and your goal is to get a high score on both the classic Game & Watch style and 1997 modern Mario style. I got 10 hours into Gallery and about 3 into Catrap, which I have yet to beat, so they both could both probably last about 5 or maybe more hours.

Formally Square-enixFan, Neo-GeoFan. A lover of fine games and handheld systems!!!!!!!!!!
The New 3DS XL is amazing, soon the NX will be upon us!
Backloggery
Check my Youtube channel out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ha...

3DS Friend Code: 1289-8230-2854 | Nintendo Network ID: Square_Enix_Fan

SomeBitTripFan

Hey everyone! I am going to Iowa for Odyssey of the Mind and I want to know whether I should get Kid Icarus Uprising or Tales of the Abyss to play during my free time during those 4 days + the time on the plane. I have played Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World and was immensely dissappointed during my 5 hours of play. Is the combat of Abyss better from that of the first bit of Dawn of the New World or about as bad? Also is Abyss going to have me running around towns so I can watch boring cutscenes or is it about fun gameplay? I would prefer people who have played (and beaten) both Abyss and Uprising to state which they prefer and why. If you have played 1 game state what you liked and didn't like about it. Also, could you give me an idea of how long each game is? I am left-handed; love Xenoblade, Chrono Trigger, and Fire Emblem; and love fast-paced action games.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

Chrono_Cross

Tales of the Abyss is the best Tales of game out there. Dawn of the New World was a good RPG but not a good Tales of RPG. Go with Tales of the Abyss for three reasons:

• It's going to become rare in the next year unlike Kid Icarus
  • You've played games in the series before so you're somewhat used to it
  • It's fully updated in 3D. Not only are you buying the definitive version but I also think it has more side quests or something. (But either way it looks better and it's portable.)

Plus, Kid Icarus is a mess. Amazon. Ebay.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Kinioka

Tales of the abyss does not offer anything new, just the 3D(and even that won't make a difference) and it's not the best tales of games out there. Not even close. Anyway, if you are going to pick Tales of the abyss, prepare yourself for one of the most annoying main characters ever.
I dont have kid icarus yet, so i can't say anything about it. Probably the best reason to pick up this game (if you are not a big fan of the series) is the first reason chrono said.
It's not a terrible game by any means, im currently playing and i am a fan of the series, but i dont know if you will like the very few things tales of the abyss has to offer.

"Is the combat of Abyss better from that of the first bit of Dawn of the New World or about as bad? "
Literally the same.

"Also is Abyss going to have me running around towns so I can watch boring cutscenes or is it about fun gameplay"
Yes, you will be running around towns. All "tales of" games are like that.

Edited on by Kinioka

Hallelujah.

SomeBitTripFan

@Kinioka: ok, but will it be the main part of the game? Dawn of the New World seems only to be doing that as you play.I'm only at Palmacosta and it seems as if combat is just running forward pressing A and Up twice then A and Down twice. Battles last me 22 seconds or 2 minutes against a boss. Did they make the battles any harder?

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

Kinioka

After the first 2 hours if I remember correctly...
And well..."Field of Fonons" offers something "new". Similiar to eternal sonata, where you can perfom different attacks standing on light or shadow, in tales of the abyss you will be capable of using your artes with different elements when you stand in some circles that will appear in battle ( they will appear when you use a spell for example). This will change your artes and of course their elements. As you know each monster has a weakness or a resistance, so that offers a new way to battle in terms of strategy. Also, if you stand in the circle and perform the skill that corresponds with the element in the circle, the skill will be upgraded.
But of course, that will only be necessary depending of your experience and the difficulty that you pick( you can change it whenever you want to)

Edited on by Kinioka

Hallelujah.

RR529

I'd go with TotA, it's a longer game, and while KI:U is fun, its not very comfortable for extended playtime (like the plane ride you mentioned). I'm a fellow lefty, so I can give you a better idea of how comfortable it will be for you, than all the rightys out there. It is a fun game, but it's just a bit more akward to play. As for TotA's battle system, early on you get the option to free run around the battlefield (not sure if that was in Symphonia, but figured I'd mention it). Yes, the main character STARTS out annoying, but because of that, his transformation into selfless hero is one of the best I've experienced, and is a strength for the game, IMO. All the other characters are a little clichéd, but the main character's transformation makes up for that. Also, as a JRPG, it's story gets a little 'out there' at the end, but I think it holds itself together better than most.

KI:U is a fantastic game (a must have even), but I'd wait for when you have the time to thouroughly enjoy it in a comfortable setting.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Gamesake

Should I get Steel Diver for $9 US dollars?

...in my pants.

EvilLucario

Gamesake wrote:

Should I get Steel Diver for $9 US dollars?

Considering that people would be happy if it was released on the then-upcoming eShop instead, I'm sure it's a buy. I mean, the only problem with Steel Diver was it's lack of content for $39.99. With $20.99 shaved off of the price, I guess you should go for it.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Terave

Right, so, I'm thinking about this:
1) Should I get an eShop card, and wait with MTO or don't buy it?
2) Get MTO and wait with an eShop card.

Oh, and MTO needs to have some sort of selling point. If you think you've found one, please add that.

Changed name: Old name was JDT!
Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.
3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496

HandheldGuru97

@WaveBoy
Don't leave Lock N Chase hanging it is an absolutely fantastic game and is WAY better than the Gameboy version of Pac-Man. While it is still a Pac-man clone for $3 it is well, well worth it. There are a good amount of levels for an early Gameboy game and is really quite fun. Easily one of my favorite VC games so far.

Edited on by HandheldGuru97

Formally Square-enixFan, Neo-GeoFan. A lover of fine games and handheld systems!!!!!!!!!!
The New 3DS XL is amazing, soon the NX will be upon us!
Backloggery
Check my Youtube channel out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ha...

3DS Friend Code: 1289-8230-2854 | Nintendo Network ID: Square_Enix_Fan

RR529

WaveBoy wrote:

Well, Metroid II is the only other title I'm getting(until another solid release hits) for the VC and that's that.
Lock n' chase at one point spiked my case Jones Curiousity, but that crashed down the moment i realised that it was just a pacman clone with a different shnazzy twist. And Tetris is Tetris, i'd get it for the sake of Nostalgia or just 'to have' but realisticly i'd hardly play it. And finally, there's Blaster Master....I'm leaning towards a big fat no, as the NES original and me have a semi-love/hate relationship. Bah, I think i'll pass if it's anything simular to the NES game which drove me nuts with it's extremely repetitive grating tunes, horrible Dungeon gameplay and some of the unfair ridiculous boss battles(Not the crab exactly, but that Blue Lobster creature that flings Ice at you AND the final boss....whome i still can't destro destroy! )

Balloon Kid and Cat Trap have been axed, so now I'm left with....

~VC Collection!
Super Mario Land
Kirby's Adventure
Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
Donkey Kong
Super Mario Land 2
Gargoyles Quest
Fortified Zone
Mr. Game & Watch Gallery
Avenging Spirit - (haven't played yet!)
Shinobi

Good to see you're going to be getting Metroid II soon. It's easily my favorite GB VC game, right behind Link's Awakening DX. It's kind of easy to get lost (a lot of the environments are same-y), but everything else is just fantastic (those Metroid encounters always get the blood pumping).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

astros75

Does anyone know where I can find a list of 3DS/DS games with single-card download play? My little brother just got a 3ds and we've been playing Starfox 64 3d & Mario Kart 7 with download play. It made me want to buy a few more games with the download play feature, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Switch FC: 305297906526

Fav 3DS Games:
LoZ: ALBW ~ FE: Awakening ~ AC: New Leaf ~ Luigi Mansion: DM ~ Mario 3D Land ~ Smash Bros 3D

Fav Switch Games:
LoZ: BoW ~ SM Odyssey ~ MK8 ~ Arms ~ LA Noire ~ Doom

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0174-1633 | Nintendo Network ID: astros75

EvilLucario

astros75 wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a list of 3DS/DS games with single-card download play? My little brother just got a 3ds and we've been playing Starfox 64 3d & Mario Kart 7 with download play. It made me want to buy a few more games with the download play feature, any info would be greatly appreciated.

DS:

• New Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario 64 DS
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • Metroid Prime Hunters

3DS:

• Steel Diver
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (downloaded guy can only play as Ryu, though)
    Though it's not Download Play, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars only uses one 3DS system for multiplayer.

Will add in more if I think of more.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

astros75

DS:

• New Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario 64 DS
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • Metroid Prime Hunters

3DS:

• Steel Diver
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (downloaded guy can only play as Ryu, though)
    Though it's not Download Play, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars only uses one 3DS system for multiplayer.

Will add in more if I think of more.

Thanks! I saw that Meteos was also a download play game and bought it for $6 on amazon. Hope its fun! So far the only other game im interested in aside from the ones you mentioned is Mario Party DS

Switch FC: 305297906526

Fav 3DS Games:
LoZ: ALBW ~ FE: Awakening ~ AC: New Leaf ~ Luigi Mansion: DM ~ Mario 3D Land ~ Smash Bros 3D

Fav Switch Games:
LoZ: BoW ~ SM Odyssey ~ MK8 ~ Arms ~ LA Noire ~ Doom

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0174-1633 | Nintendo Network ID: astros75

EvilLucario

I will need to get Sonic Generations. It is worth the $29.99? Or should I just stick to Pokémon Conquest? I mean, the only things I heard that was negative to Sonic Generations was its length. Is it really as bad as anyone says it is?

Ron_DelVillano

PrimedMetroid wrote:

I will need to get Sonic Generations. It is worth the $29.99? Or should I just stick to Pokémon Conquest? I mean, the only things I heard that was negative to Sonic Generations was its length. Is it really as bad as anyone says it is?

I played the PS3 version. Saying that Sonic Generations is a good game is like saying that the freshest turd on a pile of turds is the best because it's the freshest.

It's still a turd.

Nintendo Life staff

I co-host a podcast about professional wrestling titled Blind Tag and I write/draw a daily webcomic about a werewolf in high school named Duane.

3DS Friend Code: 0344-9288-5982 | Nintendo Network ID: broomhandle | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic