Forums

Topic: 3DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 2,601 to 2,620 of 2,670

Tyranexx

An online friend has got me very interested in the Etrian Odyssey series. Any recommendations on where to start for a newcomer? Preferably on the 3DS as the DS games are a little pricey even secondhand. The very first game isn't too badly priced used, but I've read that it isn't a good starting point. I'm leaning towards one or both of the Untold entries, though I've been told either IV or V are decent entry points too. Any thoughts or recommendations? I'm hoping to pick up at least a couple of them physical before prices spike way beyond my comfort range.

I also realize mapping using the touch screen is a big part of these games, but is there a way to draw in the maps without using it? Like with button controls? That won't make or break whether or not I dive into the series, but I baby my touch screens and try to use them as little as possible. Younger kid me wasn't so great with their original phat DS.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

PSVR_lover

@Krull

“Virtue’s Last Reward is just £3.99 on the UK eShop at the moment - I picked it up a few days ago. Haven’t played 999 yet, though, so I’m going to start with that one - eventually.”

You really don’t need to play 999 first. VLR has an engaging plot that stands on its own. The 999 Wiki has a plot summary that should be enough. VLR is by far the best in the series and I’d jump on that one at that price.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

WaterPhish

Should I buy Terraria for the 3DS? I have hard that the frame rate is not that good on the Old 3DS (which is the only one I have).

WaterPhish

WaterPhish

Anybody got some good RPG suggestions?

WaterPhish

jump

@WaterPhish The Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem games are my personal favourites. Radiant Historia, Mario & Luigi and Fantasy Life are worth a look too.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Losermagnet

@Tyranexx this may be 2 months too late but Etrian Odyssey IV was the one that got me hooked. I'm playing through Untold 1 right now and it's good too. As for the map controls, only touchscreen unfortunately. I think in most of the games it fills out the paths your character has taken and you add walls, icons, and notes.

@WaterPhish Etrian Odyssey and Dragon Quest have some fantastic 3DS entries.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Tyranexx

@Losermagnet I've since picked up Untold 1 (Haven't played it yet) and might pull the trigger on EOU2 soon as well. I've certainly also been considering IV as it's more of a "pure" experience, though with current physical prices I might grab that one digitally in the future. As for the touch screen controls, I can live with using them lol. Thanks for the feedback!

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Losermagnet

@Tyranexx Cool. Hope you like it 😁. Apologies if you're already aware, but Untold does have a classic mode in case you want to play the game in an original way. That's what I did. I get more of a kick making my own guild than playing with canon characters.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Tyranexx

@Losermagnet A classic mode, you say? Admittedly I settled on the Untold games since they allegedly have more in the story department - a big part of RPGs for me - but I think it'd be cool to create a party from scratch too. Thanks!

Losermagnet

@Tyranexx no prob!

Ralizah

@WaterPhish @Tyranexx There's a general sale on all of Atlus' 3DS games atm in the eshop.

Dunno if there'll be another, so if anything interests you, best to snag it now. Especially with physical prices EXPLODING on most of Atlus' 3DS library.

SMT IV/Apocalypse, EO IV/V/Untold/Untold 2, Persona Q/Q2, Devil Survivor 1/Devil Survivor 2, and Radiant Historia are all worth picking up, if you haven't done so already

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Tyranexx

@Ralizah Thanks for the heads up! I already have much of what I'm interested in on the list you mentioned, but I may certainly cave for either Etrian Odyssey IV or V.

An acquaintance mentioned to me how high the price of Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology has climbed. $120 on Amazon! It makes me very happy that I picked it up for about $30 a couple years ago.

Ralizah

@Tyranexx I actually just downloaded Radiant Historia, for exactly that reason. Too bad I slept on the physical when I had the chance to pick it up (had the NDS version, so I figured I could put off the purchase). I have most of Atlus' 3DS games physically, though.

If you are only going to get one, I'd recommend Etrian Odyssey IV. The overworld navigation is a lot of fun, and it's probably overall my favorite entry in the series.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Tyranexx

@Ralizah I nearly went with the original Radiant Historia at the time as it was even cheaper (~$25), but I figured a few more bucks for the added content and VA work was worth it. I totally don't blame anyone for picking up RH:PC digital right now if they have the SD card space, even without a sale.

Duly noted on Etrian Odyssey IV! It's the one I've been leaning towards, and your recommendation reinforces what I've read about using it as a starting point.

Dogorilla

I still haven't played any of the Atlus games I already own (Radiant Historia 3DS, Stella Glow and Etrian Mystery Dungeon but I'd better get some if these games while they're on sale or I'll regret it later. For my own reference, and for anyone else who might find it useful, I'll list all the Atlus/NISA games currently on sale price (left) compared to their regular eShop price (centre) and their current price at CEX (right) so I know which ones to prioritise getting now. (I'm only including the games that are currently on sale in the UK, which isn't every Atlus game on 3DS; Etrian Odyssey V is not on sale, for example.)

Culdcept Revolt - £4.99 / £39.99 / £30
Etrian Odyssey Untold - £4.49 / £8.99 / £30
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold - £8.74 / £34.99 / £20
Etrian Odyssey IV - £4.49 / £8.99 / £25
Etrian Odyssey Nexus - £6.74 / £26.99 / £45
Persona Q - £8.99 / £17.99 / £38
Persona Q2 - £8.74 / £34.99 / £55
RPG Maker Fes - £4.99 / £39.99 / £15
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - £4.49 / £8.99 / £110
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 - £8.74 / £34.99 / £110
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - £6.74 / £26.99 / £80
Stella Glow - £8.74 / £34.99 / £65

Edited on by Dogorilla

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

WoomyNNYes

Oof. I just recently discovered some physical 3ds games don't allow game progress to be deleted.

I bought Super Monkey Ball 3D used, and it has existing game progress on it with no way to delete it. What a bunch of baloney.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Dogorilla

I think I'm gonna get Culdcept Revolt in this sale, it sounds like my jam. I'm not sure what else yet. The best overall savings in the PAL sale (compared to both regular eShop and physical prices) are Etrian Odyssey Nexus, Persona Q2, SMT Devil Survivor 2 and SMT Strange Journey Redux (and Stella Glow, which I already have), but I've never played any other games in those series. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether any of those games are good places to start for their respective series?

@WoomyNNYes Wow I didn't know that. I wonder if that was an oversight or if it was intentional to stop people buying secondhand, which would be pretty scummy. I assume you can still replay the levels though?

Funky Kong

Tyranexx

I went ahead and downloaded Etrian Odyssey IV last night. No clue at all when I'll get to it, but at least I have it! XD

@Dogorilla Odd. Etrian Odyssey V isn't included in the sale in the UK? All the EO games are included in the sale on the North American eShop. Pretty much every Atlus game one can think of.

WoomyNNYes

@Dogorilla I think it was intentional to discourage the used game market. It's pretty ridiculous. Although, maybe you could argue that it's to prevent little kids from deleting progress by mistake? (My 5 year old niece deleted Lego City Undercover progress on the Xbox One last year, the two older sisters were not happy.)

That's so wild, though. Even if you bought Monkey Ball 3D new & beat the game, you can't delete game progress to start a new playthrough. Feels anti-consumer. Thank you SEGA of 2011 (year the game released)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Dogorilla

@Tyranexx Yeah, there's a few that aren't included in the sale here, including SMT IV and Radiant Historia as well. No idea why.

@WoomyNNYes If that really was Sega's intention it wouldn't even help much to prevent used game sales because most people would just buy it used anyway without realising there was no way to start a new save, like you did. Maybe it is to stop kids deleting their saves as you say, or maybe they just didn't think it through

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic