Forums

Topic: 3DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 2,301 to 2,320 of 2,670

JaxonH

@Spoony_Tech @LegendOfPokemon @VoodooTrumpet

I loved Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. The game made great strides to move the series forward with verticality and new weapons, removing underwater battles which many disliked, lots of new monsters, etc. And the intros when you first discover a monster, how there's a blazing roar of the monster in the cut scene which morphs right into gameplay... was spectacular.

However, I have to go with Generations here. For some unknown reason, they decided against keeping those awesome intros they used in the last game which is really disappointing. And ditched any sort of story to get you hooked. But that aside, the game is just better all around. More interesting and diverse locations, infinite improvements to remove the aggravations and annoyances of the series like holding A to keep gathering, sending items back to item box once during a quest, attacks during mounts don't knock player off but actually now contribute, a much better and deeper Palico system, more balancing like oils for Sword and Shield and special nectars for Insect Glaive, hunting styles which play to evasion tequniques without needing the evasion skillset or verticality without a glaive...

I could go on and on about the improvements in MH Generations. Adding friends directly from the lobby, pressing button after a successful hunt to skip camera showcase and skip directly to carving to save time (which will come in handy for those 8-12 carve monsters)... it's simply incredible how much they improved the game. I think it would be hard to go back to previous entries now having played Generations and getting a taste of all these conveniences and refinements.

Also, Ludroth is back, Lagiacrus is back, Niblesnarf is back, etc etc. lots of beloved monsters that were MIA in MH4U. And the new monsters are fantastic!

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Linkus

Which pokémon game do you recommend most for a beginner, x & y or omega ruby & alpha sapphire?

Linkus

ianl579

@Linkus Any of them are fine; it really doesn't matter which one you play first as they are all not too hard and have virtually the same gameplay. However, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are personally my favorites, and I consider them the better games.

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

DefHalan

Linkus wrote:

Which pokémon game do you recommend most for a beginner, x & y or omega ruby & alpha sapphire?

I think X/Y would be better for a beginner and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire would be better after having experience with Pokemon.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Linkus

@LegendOfPokemon
@DefHalan
Thanks! I might start with X/Y then if I find any of them. They seem to have sold out in most Web Shops in Sweden and I prefer my games physical.I guess more people than me have been triggered by Pokémon go 🙂

Linkus

Pokefanmum82

Thinking of getting Stella Glow and Untold Millennium Girl. Are they easy to get into? I played the demo of both games and I liked them both. But I don't want games that are too hard to play. I'm kind of a wimp that way lol.

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

Spoony_Tech

@Pokefanmum82 It depends on what you want to get out of them. Stella can get hard Towards the very end but it wasn't too bad up to that point. You can always grind by the end anyways. As for untold I didn't play much but what I did play seemed far easier then the original.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Pokefanmum82

thanks

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

Blathers

@JaxonH

pressing button after a successful hunt to skip camera showcase and skip directly to carving to save time

In MH4U you just press the "Skip" button on the top-right of the touch screen

Stay safe, kids: Make sure to save frequently during multiplayer, and always use a stylus!

3DS Friend Code: 1848-2106-5430

Spoony_Tech

Blathers wrote:

@JaxonH

pressing button after a successful hunt to skip camera showcase and skip directly to carving to save time

In MH4U you just press the "Skip" button on the top-right of the touch screen

Lol, I didn't want to say anything just in case he's been starring at the end fight scene this whole time.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

JaxonH

@Spoony_Tech
Either I didn't know in 4U, or I forgot.

There's so many new features in Gen though it's hard to keep straight what's new and what isnt

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MarcelRguez

Help me pick my first Shin Megami Tensei game between:
-Soul Hackers
-SMT IV
-Strange Journey

I played quite a bit of Persona 3 on PSP, if that is of any help. Never finished it, though.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Fenrir6

@MarcelRguez The only one I've played of the 3 is SMT IV, and I absolutely loved it! Definitely recommended by me.
Can't say about the other 2, I'll buy Soul Hackers soon though, while Strange Journey...don't know if I'll ever play it, it never came out here in EU.

Fenrir6

Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@MarcelRguez Go with SMT IV. The others are good but SMT IV is great!

MERG said:

boyd88

Hello everyone, I hope it's ok I've started this thread. Today I traded in my wii u. I bought this game on launch and after the recent Nintendo direct it confirmed to me sadly the wii u is dead. The system I think had good games (very little of them though) but the console itself was very sluggish and slow! The game pad was always out of charge and rather clunky!
I've picked up a new 3ds xl as I need the bigger screen (as id get a bad head looking at a small one). Now my gaming day favs are (back in the day) was snes - super mario world, donkey kong country n64 - banjo, mario wii u - mario, dk tropical freeze.
I would class myself more of a beginner gamer as in the controls can be difficult on some of the newer games to me!
Now all this thread is about is me asking what should I be playing and enjoying?

boyd88

gcunit

@boyd88 Bit too much of an open question for the 3DS library, as when you combine the compatibility with the majority of the DS library, there's just so much choice. But based on what you've said, you should definitely check out Luigi's Mansion 2.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

CanisWolfred

@boyd88 - Yeah, that one's pretty tough. Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2 are pretty good, especially if you're looking for less difficult games. There are a lot of people who aren't too keen on them, but a lot of that comes from their reduced difficulty (NSMB2 basically hands out coins like water, so you're never hurting for lives even if you suck at it. Like I do!) Donkey King Country 3D is also pretty good, even if you've played the Wii version (it's a port of Donkey Kong Country Returns with some additional content and reworked levels that are more forgiving than before). If you like Kirby, then you're in luck: Kirby: Triple Trouble Deluxe is pretty fun stuff, and the newest one, Planet Robobot seems amazing from the eShop demo I tried. If you haven't played Kirby before, then you can always give that demo a whirl as well.

Oh, and if you want a 3D Showcase that you should probably be cheap by now, look into Pilotwings Resort

I wish I could point out more classic series, but I haven't been keeping up with them on the 3DS, and what few I've played I personally didn't like for various reasons (...mostly 3D Land, because I grew up with Super Mario 64 and went in expecting something more like that...only to find it was more like Super Mario World in 3D, which I just couldn't get into). None of the 3DS entries of Paper Mario, Yoshi, Chibi-Robo (I'm almost insulted by the shift to a cookie-cutter 2D platformer here. It might still be good, but it just has so little in common with the original, it makes absolutely no sense!), Super Smash Bros., Animal Crossing, Metroid, etc. have caught my fancy, though for some of them, that's clearly just me. I'll try to write up some in another post once I get my thoughts together, but in the meantime I'll ask: what genres are you interested in? You've kind of only listed platformers, so I have no idea what else I could come up with. The 3DS has some great RPGs, for instance, but the only ones I can think of are pretty hardcore, and unlike action games, the biggest skills you need in RPGs are patience and planning...I have no idea why I'm good at them.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

boyd88

Thanks for the ones you've listed! I'm after games that a simple controls and kinda easy tbh- not too easy but I'm still kind of new to current games that's why I can't get used to these newer games when they have crazy controls and graphics that I can't keep up with. What's the animal crossing game like? Or is that pretty kiddy @CanisWolfred

boyd88

CanisWolfred

boyd88 wrote:

Thanks for the ones you've listed! I'm after games that a simple controls and kinda easy tbh- not too easy but I'm still kind of new to current games that's why I can't get used to these newer games when they have crazy controls and graphics that I can't keep up with. What's the animal crossing game like? Or is that pretty kiddy @CanisWolfred

There is literally no way I can describe Animal Crossing without it sounding like the most mundane and boring games that ever exists (You move into a town full of animals, and you live there, doing chores, paying your bills [usually by fishing], buying clothes, collecting random objects you can decorate your house with, and generally being a friendly neighbor. The newest one also lets you be forces you to be the town mayor. That's really the gist of it), and even to be quite honest, it's arguably an incredibly manipulative game, hence why I will never allow myself to play it again, no matter how much I want to....but it is relaxing and doesn't really require much out of your day, and you're free to make all kinds of personal goals that arguably make the game habit-forming. That's all I can really give ya there that isn't already plastered on the back of the box...

Have you ever played a Zelda game? Because 3 of the best games in the franchise are on the 3DS, in their best possible forms.

I got a few others I can throw your way, too:

Fantasy Life: Simple, albeit grind-heavy action-RPG with a lot of humor and a decent combat system. It's multiplayer-focused, but the Singleplayer mode is still very fleshed out, and quite a bit deeper than I first expected once it got going.

There's also Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, which there's a demo for. It, too, is a fairly simple RPG with a lot of humor, and this time with recognizable characters (Mario & Luigi). I haven't played this one, though, I still need to finish the previous entry, Bowser's Inside Story - not because it's required, but because I will never go back to it if I leave it behind.

And...that's all I got for Retail games that are "Simple and not too challenging". I don't have a lot of those for the 3DS, for some reason...weird. Maybe somebody else could help you there.

3DS eShop-exclusive games:

• Attack of the Friday Monsters
  • Cave Story
  • Ninja Battle Heroes
  • Mighty Switch Force
  • Pushmo
  • Kirby Fighters Deluxe

Actually, I could recommend a couple others that have demoes at least:

• Rhythm Thief (Oh hey, it's on sale, too. $5)
  • Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright - Dual Destinies
  • Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition
  • Rhythm Heaven Remix

Gives ya some variety. I might have one or two to add later, but only other other simple games I can come up with are rhythm games, and they can extremely challenging, depending on how well you can keep a beat...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic