Forums

Topic: 3DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 2,241 to 2,260 of 2,677

DefHalan

@Spoony_Tech That is disappointing... I will think about it... I do already have a giant backlog lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

gcunit

@Aurin Hi, welcome to the forums and congratulations on your first post

I am by no means an expert on this matter, but the Shantae games are pretty highly regarded in these parts by some, and are associated with the 'Metroidvania' genre. If you're unlucky you've just missed out on the Friends of Nintendo Humble Bundle, where the most recent 3DS Shantae (Pirate's Curse) was included, along with Citizens of Earth (an RPG likened to Earthbound, which itself is available as SNES VC on the New 3DS I think). If you missed the bundle you can probably still find codes going cheap on eBay, and some nice people are even giving them away on the forums.

Dragon Quest IX is well regarded as a turn based rpg and is also available cheaply (used) on eBay.

And if you're looking for the ultimate in RPG, Chrono Trigger (DS) is widely regarded as one of, if not the, best RPG of all time.

And mustn't forget Xenoblade Chronicles, which is a portable exclusive on the New 3DS line.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

jump

@Aurin
SteamWorld Dig is by far my favourite Metroidvania game on the 3DS, it's cheap and it does things slightly differently by having you create your own tunnels to explore, the Shantae series is a popular choice also, Cave Story is a top tier indie title and Xeodrifter is decent also. You've also got the early Metroid and Castlevania games on the NES, GB and SNES to try out as well.

For turn based RPGs Bravely Default is popular but I haven't played it however there is a demo for you to try out first, I'd strongly recommend the Shin Megami Tensei (Devil Survivor 1&2 and SMT4) and Fire Emblem (Fates and Awakening) games plus there's good choices to be had with Earthbound which is a must Mario & Luigi (Paper Jam Bros & Dream Team Bros) and Pokemon (there's the orginal Blue, Red & Yellow plus X/Y & Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby plus Sun & Moon coming out this year) and for something a bit different there's also Codename STEAM and Squids Odyssey which don't get talked about enough.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

VoltageX

Aurin wrote:

Thank you @gcunit and @jump for the recommendations, I'll give a look to the games that you have suggested.

The last Pokemon game that I did play was pokemon Gold back in the day. How have things changed since then? I've heard that now they are more based on the anime. I think I'll prolly wait for Sun/Moon to get out since most people will "soon" be playing those, meanwhile I'll play Blue and hope that they release Gold/Silver for the VC.

Oh yeah, Chono Trigger is a classic that I've never played so I really need to get that one.

Gladly I didn't miss the Humble Bundle, in fact I've had so much fun with Shantae And The Pirate's Curse that I bought the others. I've already finished Riskys Revenge (awesome as well altho seemed a little bit shorter, but I'll replay them in the future to get all the "wallpapers") and atm I'm playing the GBC one.

You can also give a try to crimson shroud, its pretty cheap in the e shop. a classic turn based RPG and very old school. about pokemon, you can jump into the 6 generation with X or Y, they are both a good starting point for pokemon lovers who want to get back to the series. the graphics are well upgraded too

VoltageX

salv-ice

@Aurin The DS and 3DS are really heaven for old-school RPG lovers ! On the DS you have several Dragon Quest games (4,5,6 and 9), Final fantasy 3 and 4 remakes, Final Fantasy The 4 heroes of light, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden Tierkreis and lots more !
On the 3DS I would higly recommend Bravely Default and Bravely Second from SquareEnix, the 2 Devil Survivor remakes and Etrian Odyssey 4 if you like dungeon crawling rpgs.

salv-ice

ManChild

Just copped a New 3ds Xl and love it so far. Looking to play some games online.. The only game i have at the moment is Mario Kart 7 and Pokemon yellow. Mario Kart being the only game with online capabilities. What are some good online games for the 3ds. can be any platform that is playable on the 3ds.

Mess with the best, Lose like the rest..!

Spoony_Tech

@ManChild Kid Icarus is really good as is Luigis Mention 2/Dark Moon. Mostly others are more dog or adventure like Fantasy Life and the Monster Hunter games. Can't think of too many more however. Both Resident Evils are pretty good but that would more or less require someone you know for better results.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

ManChild

Monster hunter or Shovel knight.. Gonna grab one of these in a bit which would be the better option..? Have no history with either game!

crimsontadpoles

@ManChild Play the demo of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on the 3DS. If you like it, then I'd recommend Monster Hunter. The game stays fairly similar throughout, but it contains hundreds of hours of epic fights with various large monsters.

Shovel Knight is an excellent platformer. It looks like an old fashioned game, but feels very modern in terms of the solid gameplay. If you're in the mood for a 2D platformer, then this might be the better choice.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

ManChild

@crimsontadpoles Thanks for the response.. I have yet to check out demos. just picked up a new 3d xl a week ago so still learnin everything.. i assume you get the demos from the eshop?

Spoony_Tech

I second Monster Hunter. Hundreds of hours and the online is still relivent. Shovel Knight is also excellent but far shorter in content even though it has plenty. Both need to be played tbh!

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

ManChild

Well i ended up going with Shovel knight as it was the last one at the local shop. Figured wth it was a title i kept hearing about. Sure enough it has yet to disappoint. Fun and challenging. The last hour and a half flew by unoticed!!

SeaSalty

Should I get Zelda OoT?

I never got to fully play the original on the N64.

I didn't care for MM because I didn't like the whole time limit BS...

SeaSalty

VoltageX

@SeaSalty I personally liked ALBW better, but I guess they are a bit different. OOT requires you to explore, think and guess part of the things a lot more than ALBW (which also requires thinking, but its a bit more friendly).
if you think you can manage to overcome the tough parts of the game and want a fleshed out, challenging and exploration based game, OOT might be worth picking. I know I had to use a guide quite a lot, but maybe Im not that good at those kind of games XD

VoltageX

SeaSalty

@Aurin Thanks!

I don't have nostalgia for it unfortunately, but it does look like a solid game:)

SeaSalty

VoodooTrumpet

So my wife complains that I have no games she likes on the New 3DS XL I picked up. We take the train home together and sometimes she'd like to play something, or whilst at home. All I have currently is Xenoblade, SMTIV, Yo-Kai Watch and Pokémon Picross.

I said she'd probably like Picross but she hates Pikachu & co. She does like puzzle games of the "match three" variety, but I think the anime elements of Puzzles and Dragons would turn her off. Her favorite game when I used to have a DS was Zoo Keeper.

Any suggestions? I was thinking Minis On The Move but it might be too hard for her. That, or maybe a regular Picross download.

She was like a candle in the wind... Unreliable.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8393-7065-0231 | Nintendo Network ID: DieuEtMonDroit

Spoony_Tech

@VoodooTrumpet Also try the pushmo series. I believe the last game was a free download and she can try it and see if she would like the full version.

MERG said:

VoodooTrumpet

@Aurin She doesn't really like RPG elements, unfortunately. Puzzle Quest was great though on DS. Might pick that up if I see that pre-owned anywhere! Puzzle Bobble was a good idea but the reviews online are pretty bad...

@Spoony_Tech Pushmo is a good idea!

She was like a candle in the wind... Unreliable.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8393-7065-0231 | Nintendo Network ID: DieuEtMonDroit

VoltageX

@VoodooTrumpet What about art of balance: touch? its a great game in my opinion, very creative and without RPG elements at all

VoltageX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic