Forums

Topic: 3DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,141 to 1,160 of 2,669

Pokefanmum82

Soul Hackers was released digitally in NA so it would be safe to assume that it will be the same for EU. Also SMT IV is also set to be released on the eShop here in NA.

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

FleetwoodMackin

Ok, so this topic may have already been beaten to death... but i'm just looking for some quick honest opinions. My birthday is in a week and i've had a heavy decision on my mind for quite a while now... I spend ALL of my money on food and bills... and hookers(it really is a problem, i know) So i only get something of significant value every year or two. Should i get a 3DS XL or a Wii U?

I was able to buy a 3DS last Christmas and it's magnificent, of course. Still have a lot of games to pick up.. but the screen is small in comparison, and my hands are a bit big for long plays (even with the grip attachment). I would love to really be able to appreciate some of these beautiful visuals on a bigger screen. So with the 3DS's insane library.. and Wii U's hope of what i'm sure will be too.. Which should i get now..

I know i will absolutely pick up a Wii U eventually, but i'll also definitely have to get a PS4 too. So with games both current, and near future taken into account.. which would you suggest? Which would really be worth the investment for say the next 6-8 months.. until i can pick up the other.. or more if my financial situation doesn't improve.. haha

Thank you. Much appreciated.

(Just seen this thread, moved to here)

Edited on by FleetwoodMackin

FleetwoodMackin

Magikarp3

Thanks guys! I might hold out for SMT IV then, since all the press about that game is getting me excited (I'll probably have to wait until late next year though, but Bravely Default will hold it off)

and @FleetwoodMackin , TMI about how you spent your money. I'm going to assume you're trying to decide between 3DSXL and WiiU from your other thread. I'd suggest a WiiU if you have any interest in the currently released/soon to be released games, like NSMBU or Pikmin 3. If you want it for future titles like Mario Kart or SSB4, it'll probably be better to wait until then.

I've heard a few rumours that the 3DSXL is poorly constructed and suffers from hinge issues, but I figure that'll get fixed in the later models. I'd suggest waiting until the games you want for WiiU to come out, and to save your money until then. There's a lot of good stuff on 3DS, but unless the original is so uncomfortable that you can't play it, I wouldn't really recommend buying an XL.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

Spoony_Tech

@FleetwoodMackin Not quite sure what you're asking either but the Xl is totally worth it! I've not heard of any problems and mine is fine even after almost a year. I can't even imagine going back to those tiny screens. Try one out if you can it makes a hugh difference. There are a few draw backs but after a couple of days you don't even notice them anymore! Best thing I did was upgrade. Once I did I wanted to replay all my old game again to see what I missed!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Jani-Koblaney

OldMan-Tech wrote:

@FleetwoodMackin Not quite sure what you're asking either but the Xl is totally worth it! I've not heard of any problems and mine is fine even after almost a year. I can't even imagine going back to those tiny screens. Try one out if you can it makes a hugh difference. There are a few draw backs but after a couple of days you don't even notice them anymore! Best thing I did was upgrade. Once I did I wanted to replay all my old game again to see what I missed!

I dunno why, but my experience from using an XL, they feel rather cheap.. Also, I don't like that they didn't up the resolution for the larger screens..

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852 | Nintendo Network ID: NJanders

Undead_terror

Is there a lot of replay value in Monster hunter?, I would like a answer from zerks since he knows a lot about it but if anyone else knows then that is fine.

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@undead_terror No replay value at all.......ok I only put over 600 hours into tri and already well over 60 hours on the 3ds version! I could easily put another 200 hours into it and still not see everything! Tbh its probably got the most replay value out of any game I've ever played!! So many different weapons you could use and armor pieces to collect. Not to mention the countless monsters! Get it and loss yourself for the nect 3 months!

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

FleetwoodMackin

Magikarp wrote:

and @FleetwoodMackin , TMI about how you spent your money. I'm going to assume you're trying to decide between 3DSXL and WiiU from your other thread. I'd suggest a WiiU if you have any interest in the currently released/soon to be released games, like NSMBU or Pikmin 3. If you want it for future titles like Mario Kart or SSB4, it'll probably be better to wait until then.

I've heard a few rumours that the 3DSXL is poorly constructed and suffers from hinge issues, but I figure that'll get fixed in the later models. I'd suggest waiting until the games you want for WiiU to come out, and to save your money until then. There's a lot of good stuff on 3DS, but unless the original is so uncomfortable that you can't play it, I wouldn't really recommend buying an XL.

Yeah, fixed it. Hadn't specified since i moved here. I've heard different things about the XL and honestly would like to wait for an actual upgraded model.. with more color choices also. Not sure if it'll happen, but it is Nintendo.. so im sure its just a matter of time. And the current/soon to be current games for Wii U really aren't worth a purchase.. right now. Thanks for the input regardless. I may end up just putting the money towards college.. cough hookers cough

@OldMan-Tech Yeah, sorry about that. And yes i know EXACTLY what you're talking about.. played a friends a while back and thought.. squid.. i need this!' OoT was gorgeous. It made me happy i hadn't played most of the games yet. Would like to see new model, but i'm glad to hear yours has lasted. Gives me hope.

@Metal_Sonic I felt the same and was actually quite disgusted at such an obvious grab at money.. but after playing my Vita for a few months.. returning back to my 3DS was a shock. I know the screens aren't going to compare.. but the size was laughable, and the hand cramps weren't. I hate that it's a stretched same resolution too, but i haven't heard too much bad about it.

Edited on by Raylax

FleetwoodMackin

Ralizah

My XL is very well-made. No hinge issues at all, and the games don't look terribly stretched out like I was afraid they would when I first heard about the 3DS XL. It feels far more durable than my old 3DS ever did.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Spoony_Tech

@Ralizah I was hoping you would help me out on that issue! It make a really big difference on all games with the bigger screen.

MERG said:

Pokefanmum82

I wasn't originally going to get an XL when it was announced but I am glad I did. The bigger screens are better and there is no issue with the hinges. I don't know why people seem to think there is an issue with the hinges. That was a problem with the original model. The XL is far better than the original.

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

Ralizah

@OldMan-Tech The bigger screens are a revelation for some games. I can't imagine trying to play DKCR3D on an original model 3DS. Also, I love being able to play my DS games at an appropriate resolution without the display looking tiny.

I'm not sure why people are talking about hinge issues. The XL's hinge is the best I've seen on a Ninty portable since the SP.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

TheCakeGuy

i still hope that we can get a wind waker port on the 3ds..

Also what are your thoughts about buying Tales of the Abyss? Note that I have already finished the game with all its glory on the PS2 system and I even watched the anime' version.

My Titles as of the moment:

Fire Emblem Awakening - never played the fire emblem series? now is a good time to start. Already a veteran? Then this is one hell of a game. It has the best characters in the series but story wise the game isn't too deep. Both for casual and hardcore gamers. (Sacred Stones still holds the title as the one with the best story)

Kingdom Hearts 3d - I bought this after Square announced KH;3 E3, although if you are not a fan of the series i suggest staying away from this game UNLESS all you care about is the gameplay and not the story... which is like 70% of the game's value. a game for the fans.

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Half hearted about this. the game's age does show so it might not appeal to all players (especially those who were introduced into gaming only this generation) But if you were there during the gamecube/ps2/ps1 era and haven't played this game. GRAB IT NOW.

Project X Zone: it just screams "fan service" inside out. Everything is a treat for gaming fans in all ages. It's not for everyone though since it relies on the fan service factor.. which doesnt work that much (obviously) to non-fans.

Animal Crossing New Leaf - Everyone can enjoy this game, even your 80 year old grandma.

http://cakeguy.kinja.com/ -> my own little world
FC: 2380-3247-6908

"Welcome to the world that never was... The Limbo~"

RR529

TheCakeGuy wrote:

i still hope that we can get a wind waker port on the 3ds..

Also what are your thoughts about buying Tales of the Abyss? Note that I have already finished the game with all its glory on the PS2 system and I even watched the anime' version.

My Titles as of the moment:

Fire Emblem Awakening - never played the fire emblem series? now is a good time to start. Already a veteran? Then this is one hell of a game. It has the best characters in the series but story wise the game isn't too deep. Both for casual and hardcore gamers. (Sacred Stones still holds the title as the one with the best story)

Kingdom Hearts 3d - I bought this after Square announced KH;3 E3, although if you are not a fan of the series i suggest staying away from this game UNLESS all you care about is the gameplay and not the story... which is like 70% of the game's value. a game for the fans.

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Half hearted about this. the game's age does show so it might not appeal to all players (especially those who were introduced into gaming only this generation) But if you were there during the gamecube/ps2/ps1 era and haven't played this game. GRAB IT NOW.

Project X Zone: it just screams "fan service" inside out. Everything is a treat for gaming fans in all ages. It's not for everyone though since it relies on the fan service factor.. which doesnt work that much (obviously) to non-fans.

Animal Crossing New Leaf - Everyone can enjoy this game, even your 80 year old grandma.

As for TotA, it depends.

The game doesn't offer anything new over the PS2 version, except for improved loading times & 3D (although it's not implemented well). However, all the professional reviews I've read have stated that absolutely no aspect of the game has been sacrificed in any way in the move to 3DS, with one even stating that the improved loading times & 3D make it the definitive version by default (since there's no other differences between the two).

So, depending on how long it's been since you played it, it could very well be worth playing again (especially since you know you'll like it), but there's still a lot of brand new RPG content for the system to experience, such as Etrian Odyssey IV, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, and the soon upcoming Rune Factory 4, Shin Megami Tensei IV, & Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

rayword45

RR529 wrote:

However, all the professional reviews I've read have stated that absolutely no aspect of the game has been sacrificed in any way in the move to 3DS, with one even stating that the improved loading times & 3D make it the definitive version by default (since there's no other differences between the two).

Not true, several reviews claim there is a graphical downgrade.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

CanisWolfred

rayword45 wrote:

RR529 wrote:

However, all the professional reviews I've read have stated that absolutely no aspect of the game has been sacrificed in any way in the move to 3DS, with one even stating that the improved loading times & 3D make it the definitive version by default (since there's no other differences between the two).

Not true, several reviews claim there is a graphical downgrade.

Which reviews? Definitely not the ones I've read.

Here, I even found two screenshots of the same exact area:

Untitled
Untitled

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

TheCakeGuy

i'm not really the "graphics guy" that looks and hates the small details that were scaled to fit the system better. Anyways thanks for the feedbacks. I have decided to NOT pick up the game.

Anyways.. i was quite intrigued someone mentioned Rune Factory 4. I really didn't like the Wii Rune Factories (Tides of Something and Frontier)

If rune factory 4 is something like rune factory 3 then it is instabuy for me. I loved the RF3 characters <3.

for now I'll finish KH3d and OoT3d. then decide what to buy after that.

man i wish it was october already

http://cakeguy.kinja.com/ -> my own little world
FC: 2380-3247-6908

"Welcome to the world that never was... The Limbo~"

The_Ninja

I haven't got any games for my 3DS xl yet,only proffesor layton but that was a digital download since you could get 1 game free or something if you bought an XL. I can't wait until SSB4 is coming out,hoping there will be online tournaments.

The_Ninja

3DS Friend Code: 1891-2599-4796

yojo

I am wondering if I should add 5 bucks to the 30 ehsop I will get with SMT4 and get Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, or spend it on eshop/VC games. If I get eshop stuff I would most want Denpa Men and Super Mario Land 2.

HYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
-Link, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
"Every five years they (Nintendo) just fly Miyamoto to a sunny pastier and let him frolic for six weeks and he comes back with the next great idea."

Spoony_Tech

@yojo If you've never played DKCR then you need to play that game. If you played it on the wii then pass it up for the eshop games. DKCR needs to be played by every platform fan!

MERG said:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic