Forums

Topic: 3DS or new tablet?

Posts 161 to 180 of 201

Bankai

SCAR392 wrote:

Get the 3DS for the new Luigi's Mansion 2 cominng out, and Pokemon 3D is bound to come out sooner or later. Like alot of people said, if you want to just play games, with a few extra features like Netflix, exclusive videos on the Nintendo Video app, better drawing apps for 3D, a weak but still present internet brower, notpad, and online eShop for tons of stuff, then get a 3DS. I actually sold my iPad 2 for a 3DS, but if you get a tablet, get a good one that actually runs a REAL OS. iOS and whatever else those tablets run besides Windows 8, and Mtn. Lion(none run this OS, which is a shame), are crappy, and are basically useless, unless you're a hacker, or love spending $1 at a time to buy cheap apps that suck compared to full software on anything else. I think tablets are just starting to be good, with actually being able to run reall OS lately like Windows 8, so if you get a tablet, wait until the good Microsoft Surface comes out that doesn't only run RT. You probably already got something, but hope this helps someone.

That's funny. I use iOS and I could have sworn I found it quite useful.

Did we start playing that game where we pretend our personal opinion is grounded in some kind of factual truth, and no one told me?

Jani-Koblaney

@scar There are plenty of reasons to own a 3ds, but the exclusive videos on Nintendo Video are not one of them. A huge majority of the videos suck..

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852 | Nintendo Network ID: NJanders

SCRAPPER392

Haha. I never stated anything I said about buying one or the other as fact, and should have been taken as opinion just by default. Anyways, I'm not saying iOS/Android is useless, it's just not as good as a more functional OS, like any other OS on any other non tablet device. Like I said, I would just wait until a tablet comes out with an actual PC/Mac OS. I had an iPad 2, when it was still very new, and I already knew I bought the wrong device. The iPad 2 had crappy cameras, outdated 3g, and was basically an iPad 1 with nothing new in the box that added any new functionality to the tablet market. MY OPINION(to make it clearer than what was already apparent): Don't buy a tablet until they make a good one( also opinion). As for Nintendo Video, I'd say it's not a big part of the system, but it is still part of the 3DS' appeal of playing 3D videos for free, that come from big names outside of Nintendo.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Bankai

SCAR392 wrote:

Haha. I never stated anything I said about buying one or the other as fact, and should have been taken as opinion just by default. Anyways, I'm not saying iOS/Android is useless, it's just not as good as a more functional OS, like any other OS on any other non tablet device. Like I said, I would just wait until a tablet comes out with an actual PC/Mac OS. I had an iPad 2, when it was still very new, and I already knew I bought the wrong device. The iPad 2 had crappy cameras, outdated 3g, and was basically an iPad 1 with nothing new in the box that added any new functionality to the tablet market. MY OPINION(to make it clearer than what was already apparent): Don't buy a tablet until they make a good one( also opinion). As for Nintendo Video, I'd say it's not a big part of the system, but it is still part of the 3DS' appeal of playing 3D videos for free, that come from big names outside of Nintendo.

Why are you comparing tablet OS' to PC OS'? The 3DS has a More useless OS than any tablet or PC on the market, and yet you seem to be ignoring that.

This is a terrible line of debate to take. The fact that you're defending the video capabilities of the 3DS while simultaneously ignoring the hundreds of apps and millions of iTunes films available makes it very hard to give your opinion credibility.

You should have stuck with the guys talking about the games. The games are the only place the 3DS is even arguably superior to tablets at doing. For anything else (literally) the 3DS is an embarrassment compared to a good tablet.

Ideal_Hero

For anything else (literally) the 3DS is an embarrassment compared to a good tablet.

Did we start playing that game where we pretend our personal opinion is grounded in some kind of factual truth, and no one told me?

The Hero of Ideals: A Legend, by True_Hero
I believe that once one has spotted a UFO it becomes an IFO(Identif...

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8724-1357 | Nintendo Network ID: Ideal_Hero

New_3DaSh_XL

Ideal_Hero wrote:

For anything else (literally) the 3DS is an embarrassment compared to a good tablet.

I was going to say something about these comments, but decided against it...

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Ideal_Hero wrote:

Well he does have a point (throws up a little) that 3DS is not really a good choice for non-gaming purposes.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ideal_Hero

@kkslider5552000 - I am not saying that @Waltz doesn't have a point. I agree with you @kk. I was merely finding it strange that @Waltz was criticizing @SCAR392 for stating his opinion as fact. I'm pretty sure calling the 3DS an embarassment compared to the iPad in anything besides games is an opinion.

The Hero of Ideals: A Legend, by True_Hero
I believe that once one has spotted a UFO it becomes an IFO(Identif...

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8724-1357 | Nintendo Network ID: Ideal_Hero

Bankai

Ideal_Hero wrote:

Oh, nice try! Congratulations on that copy/ paste. It's almost the perfect foil.

Unfortunately my personal opinion is grounded in factual truth. You're quite welcome to list a range of non-gaming features on the 3DS if you like, and I'm more than happy to provide a list of applications/ features on the iPad that are vastly superior, in terms of feature set and general usefulness.

If you still prefer the 3DS applications after that, good for you. You're not going to be able to come up with any reason for it, though, other than "Because it's on the 3DS/ Nintendo did it"

I'm pretty sure calling the 3DS an embarassment compared to the iPad in anything besides games is an opinion.

informed opinion. Not just some random idea I grabbed out of my head and threw it at the screen like a monkey tosses its poop.

Edited on by Bankai

New_3DaSh_XL

I guess if you tell yourself over and over again the iPad is 100% better than the 3DS, it will be fact to you.

No offense to you, why are you on this site if the 3DS is so terrible?

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash | Twitter:

retired_account

Ideal_Hero wrote:

Well, in this case it pretty much is a fact. I would argue that Colors 3D does a better job for drawing than an iPad (simply because of the higher precision of the stylus and button shortcuts), but that'd be it.

So far 3DS games have been a steady stream of constant disappointment for me, so that's why I've been pessimistic about the 3DS in general (the only one of its games I haven't had serious issues with is OOT3D, and that's a remake of a 14 year old game – yes, I own SM3DL, NSMB2, KIU, etc).

retired_account

kkslider5552000

3Dash wrote:

I guess if you tell yourself over and over again the iPad is 100% better than the 3DS, it will be fact to you.

No offense to you, why are you on this site if the 3DS is so terrible?

being on the internet and the stereotypical Apple fan dealing with way too many uninformed fanboys means elitist behavior is sadly probably inevitable.

I do genuinely question how much WaltzElf realizes how counter productive such behavior is to get people to agree with you.

the fact that Sony having no idea how to compete or counter Nintendo's handheld marketing, thus leading Vita not selling as well as it properly, probably doesn't help. I don't think he dislikes 3DS though.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Bankai

Well, in this case it pretty much is a fact. I would argue that Colors 3D does a better job for drawing than an iPad (simply because of the higher precision of the stylus and button shortcuts), but that'd be it.

Have you tried SketchClub? With a nice stylus, it's possible to be pretty precise with the iPad, and SketchClub is backed up by an amazing community and gallery service.

Also, if you ever plan on printing your art works, the iPad 3 and 4 have applications that let you export the completed works in far higher resolution than Colors 3D allows. For more serious artists, that's pretty important.

I do genuinely question how much WaltzElf realizes how counter productive such behavior is to get people to agree with you.

Oh, I've given up on the Nintendo fans. Other, more moderate, people read the comments though. I generally make a point of these debates for their sake.

the fact that Sony having no idea how to compete or counter Nintendo's handheld marketing, thus leading Vita not selling as well as it properly, probably doesn't help. I don't think he dislikes 3DS though.

I've spent over a thousand hours on my 3DS (which I bought at launch), and I've got over 200 games on my activity log.

Yes, I like my 3DS. I simply dislike ignorance.

Edited on by Bankai

Hokori

Colors 3D is ok but compare it to Art Academy

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

moomoo

I'm trying to figure out how one could argue the 3DS is better than an iPod touch in regards to anything outside of playing video games. I really can't. And even then I can name more fantastic iPod touch games than I can 3DS ones, even if they are indeed smaller. I use my 3DS more, though, because of how much I love those experiences on it.

RR529 wrote:

moomoo wrote:

Oh, and some of the best games on DS were touch only. Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword and both DS Zelda games were very good and didn't care about buttons.

I know this is off topic, but thank you for mentioning Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword! That's one of my favorite DS games, and it saddens me that like no one here ever mentions it

Yeah, I thought it was far and away the best action game on the platform. And it was all touch-based, except for how one button was used for blocking. To be honest, I'm kind of surpised it hasn't been ported to iOS yet. It would be a perfect fit for the platform.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

retired_account

Yeah, it seems like there are a lot of touch-only DS games that'd work really well on iOS. That's what's been missing for me — triple-A, highly polished adventure/action games. Most of what exists right now is really rough around the edges – yes, that includes Horn and Infinity Blade. The animations are stiff and the special effects and menus have that distinctive "mobile" feel to them, which drives me absolutely mad.

Oh well, that's a gap that will be filled eventually. iOS isn't going away any time soon.

retired_account

Bankai

pixelman wrote:

Yeah, it seems like there are a lot of touch-only DS games that'd work really well on iOS. That's what's been missing for me — triple-A, highly polished adventure/action games. Most of what exists right now is really rough around the edges – yes, that includes Horn and Infinity Blade. The animations are stiff and the special effects and menus have that distinctive "mobile" feel to them, which drives me absolutely mad.

Oh well, that's a gap that will be filled eventually. iOS isn't going away any time soon.

Have you seen the game that American McGee's studio are working on? Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but it's based on Little Red Riding Hood (in the sense that Alice Madness Returns is based on Alice in Wonderland), and it looks dynamite.

Eurocom's new team of 50 mobile developers is interesting too. Most development studios (including the guys that made Horn) are very small in size. 50 is quite large. As mobile development teams get bigger you'll see better action/ adventure games come through I think.

Auracle

Isn't there already a thread for this iOS discussion? This forum has derailed from its original purpose of recommending a device.

I foresee what you'll do there.
-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.