3DS Forum

Topic: 3DS or new tablet?

Showing 141 to 160 of 202

AuthorMessage

Hokori

141. Posted:

@whiteknight, I would if I didn't have an account... The account is what's keeping me from the iShop
Also it's not a meaningless question I'm basing it off of games I HAVE played so no, I am not a Baka for having a serious question

Edited on by Hokori

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

rayword45

142. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

rayword45 wrote:

It's more then just Nintendo games for me. There are certain things that only buttons and sticks can offer. A smartphone experience doesn't compare for the most part. There are some good games but none can compare with said lack of buttons. Many 3DS games based solely on touch or ESPECIALLY gyro would work better on a smartphone though. The Vita is also included with the "buttons and sticks" part but there are only 3 good games right now.

For an example, whip out your DS/GBA and play Super Mario Advance, Metroid: Zero Mission or any high quality game. Then try playing it on My Boy or any other smartphone emulator. It simply doesn't compare with only a touchscreen.

Can you please demonstrate how the following genres need buttons to be better experiences: RPG, Strategy, Board Game, Puzzle Game, Rhythm/ Music Game? It's not just gyro controls - there are entire genres that are better suited for touch-only experiences.

Point is, it's simply not true to say that "buttons make a game better." Yes, for some genres it most certainly does (FPSers, for instance, need either a keyboard or a mouse). But for others? No. I have yet to play a console strategy game that comes half as close to the quality of some of the strategy games I play on my iPad or PC. I've never played a PC board game that is a literal replacement to a real board game, the iPad has dozens.

People are oversimplifying this debate, because the minute you start to look at it objectively it becomes impossible to say definitively whether tablet gaming is or isn't inferior to 3DS gaming. And for a lot of people I know it's a frightening threat to Nintendo, but sticking the head in the sand and pretending that Angry Birds is as deep as tablet gaming gets is just denying yourself literally hundreds of great games you will never play on your 3DS.

And for the record there's at least a dozen great Vita games.

Um, I clearly stated that touch-based experiences would likely.be superior, and I said certain things, as in not all.

I even stated in prior posts that some direct titles like Theatrhythm would work better on iPad.

And to tackle 2 genres, some great puzzles would need analog controls (Crush) and many have lacking controls (Shift), and for rhythm games, the fastest-paced titles need buttons for maximum accuracy and input detection.

Edited on by rayword45

ATTENTION: Help me not get killed over a stolen camera. Please, I need your money. http://igg.me/at/twelveouncecamera/x/3629997

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage

rayword45

143. Posted:

Stuff of this speed wouldn't work on any touchscreen based device. You really need buttons (or keys) because of both pacing and detection (Heat sensor seems to mess up often)

ATTENTION: Help me not get killed over a stolen camera. Please, I need your money. http://igg.me/at/twelveouncecamera/x/3629997

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage

HaastMK7

144. Posted:

3DS if you want for gaming. Tablet for social networking and surfing web.

Miiverse: Haast_NZL
Followers: 855
Follow me! https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Haast_NZL

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0434-4753 | Nintendo Network ID: Haast_NZL

AuthorMessage

Bankai

145. Posted:

rayword45 wrote:

Stuff of this speed wouldn't work on any touchscreen based device. You really need buttons (or keys) because of both pacing and detection (Heat sensor seems to mess up often)

Seen Groove Coaster? Music games work fine.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

Moorpheel

146. Posted:

I wouldn't want to smash my iPad's screen by playing stuff like that :|

Though maybe that way I'll have a reason to get the iPad Mini.... Hmmmmm

Moo

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage

RR529

147. Posted:

HarmoKnight wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

@white Knight IDK about RPGs I've played Pokemon with touch controls and it kinda sucks

What other way (besides TWEWY) is there to play an RPG with touch?

Turn based RPG battles are heavily menu based. Fighting in a game like Chaos Rings (or even Pokémon, if it were on iOS), isn't any more difficult (to control) than surfing the web or picking a song in your playlist.

turn based RPGs are probably easiest "core" genré to optimize for play on touch devices, because choosing "attack", "magic", "item", ect., off a menu doesn't become any more difficult than it already is.

Currently Playing:

Red Dead Redemption (360)

Smashatar of the week: Charizard firing it up!

AuthorMessage

True_Hero

148. Posted:

@EveryoneWhoIsArguing - This really isn't the place to "discuss" this sort of thing. @GameNWatchFTW asked which do you recommend, not which plays various genres better. I haven't seen many of you quarrelers give your recommendation. I think it would be best if you stated which you recommend and leave. If you want to talk about this sort of thing, I'm pretty sure there's already a thread for this.
@GameNWatchFTW - If you are not pleased with your iPhone, then I would recommend the 3DS. The games that I have played on it are very good. You can also connect it to your Wii U. I hope this helps. :)

Edited on by True_Hero

-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

AuthorMessage

Lunapplebloom

149. Posted:

Both have their advantages and weaknesses for certain games. I prefer my 3DS though for my on the go gaming, and Nintendo games. Besides, there isn't enough time in the world to be able to play everything, which I myself am finding more and more all the time.

Like: Sonic, Yoshi, Link, and Samus
My Appleloggery and Youtube
PSN ID: sonicwildfire
Previously Applejacklove
Discostew: "I am the terror that trots in the night! I am the gleam of the moon that blinds you while you drive! I - am Gamer Luna!"
Applebloom is best CMC!

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9557-7319 | Nintendo Network ID: sonicwildfire07

AuthorMessage

pixelman

150. Posted:

3Dash wrote:

Every Angry Birds except Star Wars, all 3 Toy Bots, Spy Bot, The Heist, the demo of Cut The Rope, Kingdoms at War, Text+, Tiny Tower, Doodle Devil, Doodle God, Pocket Frogs, and 30 other games I can't remember the names of ATM.

lol, then you're missing the best stuff. :)

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: pixelpowa

AuthorMessage

rayword45

151. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

rayword45 wrote:

There's a reason I mentioned speed. From the.looks of that game, the biggest challenge lies in visuals. The max speed I saw was probably around 8th notes at 120bpm (bad estimate). That video I posted is 32ND notes at around 165bpm.

A better comparison would be Tap Tap and even that is considerably slower and has only 3 receptors.

Also, on turn-based RPGs, do you find it natural to walk around by tapping places to drag your characters?

I guess that's a way buttons could be superior, as the controls in the DS Zelda titles pissed me off. Although combat alone is better for obvious reasons.

Edited on by rayword45

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage

RR529

152. Posted:

^Actually, Chaos Rings used a virtual analog stick, and there was no misreading, because instead of having a fixed position on the screen, it popped up wherever you lied your thumb.

Currently Playing:

AuthorMessage

Hokori

153. Posted:

I'll check YouTube to see if chaos rings is something I'd like

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

Bankai

154. Posted:

rayword45 wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

rayword45 wrote:

There's a reason I mentioned speed. From the.looks of that game, the biggest challenge lies in visuals. The max speed I saw was probably around 8th notes at 120bpm (bad estimate). That video I posted is 32ND notes at around 165bpm.

A better comparison would be Tap Tap and even that is considerably slower and has only 3 receptors.

Also, on turn-based RPGs, do you find it natural to walk around by tapping places to drag your characters?

I guess that's a way buttons could be superior, as the controls in the DS Zelda titles pissed me off. Although combat alone is better for obvious reasons.

In all honesty there aren't many genres that I'm not more comfortable with on the iPad.

Let's look at it this way - my mother enjoys playing games on the Wii because the controller is nice and comfortable, and easy to use. Stick a normal controller in her hands and she struggles with it. She's a non-gamer, so she's not used to the ideal way to interact with a regular controller.

This is because, like most things, it takes practice. It's hard for gamers to believe, but controllers are incredibly awkward methods of input for non-gamers. One of the main reasons the Wii was so successful is because it all-but removed the intimidating controller from the equation. Another example: I can type on a keyboard at over 100 words/ minute. I couldn't when I first used a keyboard.

I suspect most of the time the people who aren't comfortable with touch-only controls on the iDevices and Androids haven't spent nearly long enough with them to acclimatise themselves with the way the input works. I am perfectly comfortable with platformers such as Sam and the Magic Marker, Nyx Quest and Lost Winds on the iPad. In fact I find them far more comfortable an intuitive than I do on the Wii.

But then I've been using an iPad daily since the first generation and it's all very natural to me.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the vast majority of people who say "iPad controls suck" are also the ones that think that the only games on the iPad are the $0.99 apps. In other words, it's the people who haven't bothered to properly explore iPad gaming.

Edited on by Bankai

AuthorMessage

rayword45

155. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

^Actually, Chaos Rings used a virtual analog stick, and there was no misreading, because instead of having a fixed position on the screen, it popped up wherever you lied your thumb.

I think Chinatown Wars did that as well.

The PSP version wins by default for having a real stick.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage

rayword45

156. Posted:

I think I've done my fair share of exploration within a few months of the Google Play store. Is my.opinion fair?

There are some games that work better naturally (try ReRave for another great rhythm game), but I can't see it replacing games that require actual stick controls or buttons. I don't own a PSP, yet from the 15 minutes of Chinatown Wars I played.I found it far more intuitive then a fake touchscreen stick or a d-pad. I cannot play platformers as comfortably because the delay in controls at times can be frustrating (Endless runners and slower-paced ones like Toki Tori avoid this.

Edited on by rayword45

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage

Hokori

157. Posted:

Ok so I just saw chaos rings and I gotta say that makes ONE game that I'd like, it only took what.... 8 years

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

Bankai

158. Posted:

rayword45 wrote:

I think I've done my fair share of exploration within a few months of the Google Play store. Is my.opinion fair?

There are some games that work better naturally (try ReRave for another great rhythm game), but I can't see it replacing games that require actual stick controls or buttons. I don't own a PSP, yet from the 15 minutes of Chinatown Wars I played.I found it far more intuitive then a fake touchscreen stick or a d-pad. I cannot play platformers as comfortably because the delay in controls at times can be frustrating (Endless runners and slower-paced ones like Toki Tori avoid this.

Well, you're one of the ones providing a balanced opinion, even if we disagree in some places, so yeah, I'd say your opinion is fair.

AuthorMessage

RR529

159. Posted:

moomoo wrote:

Oh, and some of the best games on DS were touch only. Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword and both DS Zelda games were very good and didn't care about buttons.

I know this is off topic, but thank you for mentioning Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword! That's one of my favorite DS games, and it saddens me that like no one here ever mentions it :(

Currently Playing:

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

160. Posted:

I'd like to make a formal request that people stop requesting that other people stop "arguing." It's called discussion; please don't try to suppress it.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin