3DS Forum

Topic: 3DS or new tablet?

Showing 121 to 140 of 202

AuthorMessage

Bankai

121. Posted:

WesCash wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

I'm pretty sure I'm enjoying Nintendo games on my 3DS and iPad games on my iPad.

Amazingly enough, exchanging money for goods meant I was able to own both, because I realised it was silly to suggest that either lacked games worth playing.

I didn't know you could do that... Are you a wizard?

Moon Knight has no special powers.

He is bat**** insane though, so it's possible that he just imagined enjoying games on 3DS?

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

Bankai

122. Posted:

do not start that up again with him, i am not joking — TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

123. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

I'm pretty sure I'm enjoying Nintendo games on my 3DS and iPad games on my iPad.

Amazingly enough, exchanging money for goods meant I was able to own both, because I realised it was silly to suggest that either lacked games worth playing.

Realised? :O

I'm sure both 3DS and iPad have their respective advantages, but I'd stick to the 3DS :3

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

Bankai

124. Posted:

LZBirdboi wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

I'm sure both 3DS and iPad have their respective advantages, but I'd stick to the 3DS :3

It just depends which exclusive games you're looking for.

You'll get more games on the iPad, and a roughly equivalent number of good quality games on both platforms.

However the iPad won't have Nintendo games on it any time soon. So it depends on whether that's a deal breaker for you or not. It's the single substantial advantage that the 3DS has.

AuthorMessage

SMEXIZELDAMAN

125. Posted:

Ipad mini

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

126. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

LZBirdboi wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

It just depends which exclusive games you're looking for.

You'll get more games on the iPad, and a roughly equivalent number of good quality games on both platforms.

However the iPad won't have Nintendo games on it any time soon. So it depends on whether that's a deal breaker for you or not. It's the single substantial advantage that the 3DS has.

Yup, that's it :)

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

RR529

127. Posted:

Glad to see you're back, WhiteKnight!

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Tank Hero (AND)

AuthorMessage

rayword45

128. Posted:

It's more then just Nintendo games for me. There are certain things that only buttons and sticks can offer. A smartphone experience doesn't compare for the most part. There are some good games but none can compare with said lack of buttons. Many 3DS games based solely on touch or ESPECIALLY gyro would work better on a smartphone though. The Vita is also included with the "buttons and sticks" part but there are only 3 good games right now.

For an example, whip out your DS/GBA and play Super Mario Advance, Metroid: Zero Mission or any high quality game. Then try playing it on My Boy or any other smartphone emulator. It simply doesn't compare with only a touchscreen.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

129. Posted:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Ipad mini

I have sold my soul to these two words.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage

Bankai

130. Posted:

rayword45 wrote:

It's more then just Nintendo games for me. There are certain things that only buttons and sticks can offer. A smartphone experience doesn't compare for the most part. There are some good games but none can compare with said lack of buttons. Many 3DS games based solely on touch or ESPECIALLY gyro would work better on a smartphone though. The Vita is also included with the "buttons and sticks" part but there are only 3 good games right now.

For an example, whip out your DS/GBA and play Super Mario Advance, Metroid: Zero Mission or any high quality game. Then try playing it on My Boy or any other smartphone emulator. It simply doesn't compare with only a touchscreen.

Can you please demonstrate how the following genres need buttons to be better experiences: RPG, Strategy, Board Game, Puzzle Game, Rhythm/ Music Game? It's not just gyro controls - there are entire genres that are better suited for touch-only experiences.

Point is, it's simply not true to say that "buttons make a game better." Yes, for some genres it most certainly does (FPSers, for instance, need either a keyboard or a mouse). But for others? No. I have yet to play a console strategy game that comes half as close to the quality of some of the strategy games I play on my iPad or PC. I've never played a PC board game that is a literal replacement to a real board game, the iPad has dozens.

People are oversimplifying this debate, because the minute you start to look at it objectively it becomes impossible to say definitively whether tablet gaming is or isn't inferior to 3DS gaming. And for a lot of people I know it's a frightening threat to Nintendo, but sticking the head in the sand and pretending that Angry Birds is as deep as tablet gaming gets is just denying yourself literally hundreds of great games you will never play on your 3DS.

And for the record there's at least a dozen great Vita games.

Edited on by Bankai

AuthorMessage

moomoo

131. Posted:

I don't even know why the debate is even here at this point, at least in terms of the whole "tablet gaming is inferior" debacle. Developers have proven themselves as innovative enough to make enjoyable games with the resources they have. Heck, genres that I thought were impossible to make in equal fashion on iOS have been made in a way that works for the platform. I used to think platformers couldn't work on iOS devices, but then I played Hook Champ. Was it the same kind of experience I usually get on other devices? No, but that's part of what makes it special.

Oh, and some of the best games on DS were touch only. Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword and both DS Zelda games were very good and didn't care about buttons.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage

Drawdler

132. Posted:

turtlelink wrote:

Get tablet.
Get Jetpack Joyride.
Thank me later.

This quote is ridiculously old but...
Someone is actually adknowleging what is obviously best iOS game! And free! HUZZAH!

Edited on by Drawdler

"In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | (Currently Inactive) Backloggery | Disney Infinity Fans | Ghostroaster | Nintendo Friends

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

AuthorMessage

Hokori

133. Posted:

@white Knight IDK about RPGs I've played Pokemon with touch controls and it kinda sucks

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

Bankai

134. Posted:

HarmoKnight wrote:

@white Knight IDK about RPGs I've played Pokemon with touch controls and it kinda sucks

Pokemon wasn't built for touch controls though.

Shoddy emulation doesn't prove anything. Final Fantasy Dimensions, Chaos Rings and a host of other JRPGs play really well on the touch screen.

AuthorMessage

moomoo

135. Posted:

@HarmoKnight Pokemon wasn't made with touch-only controls in mind. It was made to be played with buttons.

Any game that is made for the device it is coming on in mind will generally be better. RPG's can work very well with touch only controls. Just look at all the bottom screen stuff in TWEWY or Chaos Rings. It can work if the devs are making the game in mind that it is going on a touch-only device.

EDIT: Waltz beat me to it. Drat.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage

RR529

136. Posted:

Yeah, turn based RPGs are probably the biggest "core" genré that works just as well on touch devices, as it does on traditional consoles.

For battles, you're just picking stuff on a menu (for the most part), there's no reason that wouldn't work perfectly on a touch device (and Chaos Rings is one of my top 10 RPGs of all time, so I won't stand by and let people say it's not as deep as RPGs on traditional portables, just because the platform it's on doesn't have buttons >:().

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Tank Hero (AND)

AuthorMessage

Hokori

137. Posted:

HarmoKnight wrote:

What other way (besides TWEWY) is there to play an RPG with touch?

Edited on by Hokori

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

IAmNotWill

138. Posted:

And the fanboy wars continue...

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat
Formerly WhoKnew, Its-Mii-Will
PSN ID: willfuture

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

AuthorMessage

Hokori

139. Posted:

IAmNotWill wrote:

:D LOL right? I like it when people pull that "fanboy" card as an excuse not to answer a legit question

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

Bankai

140. Posted:

HarmoKnight wrote:

IAmNotWill wrote:

:D LOL right? I like it when people pull that "fanboy" card as an excuse not to answer a legit question

It's a meaningless question. There are a lot of RPGs on the iPad. Many of them work very well without buttons.

If you want to figure out how this happens, go and download one. Personally I'm a fan of the Spiderweb Software games. There's three of them on the App Store. I couldn't imagine how uncomfortable those would be to play with buttons.