Forums

Topic: 3DS - One Month Later: Your Thoughts?

Posts 161 to 177 of 177

LzWinky

Are you implying you don't have one yet? You're honestly not missing out on much until this June

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

TeeJay

No no, I have one, and I love it, as my signature implies. But I'll be away from my apartment this summer, and won't be back until August when school starts again. And...I left my 3DS and all my games there.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

LzWinky

TeeJay wrote:

No no, I have one, and I love it, as my signature implies. But I'll be away from my apartment this summer, and won't be back until August when school starts again. And...I left my 3DS and all my games there.

Bummer

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

SwerdMurd

My thoughts now:
1 - I hate these R & L buttons
2 - Why didn't I wait til June since every retailer has a metric ton of them to spare?
3 - The battery life is just as bad as advertised
4 - The 3D effect takes no effort anymore and I don't lose it nearly as often when playing Pilotwings/Monkeyball
5 - I'm glad I didn't buy Steel Diver
6 - The stylus clicks and hops around when it moves and the screen hinge already kinda sucks despite treating it like gold
7 - Just doesn't seem worth $250 to me - aforementioned wobbliness definitely contributes.
8 - I'm actually really excited for Zelda and RE Mercs now that I've seen how on-point the 3D is for a while (and now that I've trained myself to keep the handheld still/relative to my eyes' position)
9 - I feel like the circle/slide-pad love was hugely overblown--better than the PSP nub (not hard), but worse than virtually every other I've tried. Still a pain to analog-move partially--I end up doing mostly full throws making Pilotwings rougher than it needs to be.
10 - Exactly as I thought--Pilotwings just kinda sucks. No challenge except for landing, and the 3D depth doesn't really help make that much easier. Kind of a crapshoot and takes a couple tries to get the timing right, meaning multiple, torturous, 2-3 minute aerial complete-boredom runs. No thanks.

I think that's enough. Overall--somewhere between "meh" and "still kinda liking it"...all awe has worn off, although new upcoming games could help reverse that trend. Wait for a price drop, or at the very least til some better stuff comes out.

Edited on by SwerdMurd

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

SwerdMurd

@WaveBoy - You might wanna ignore my feelings then, since I feel that the Dualshock has (and has always had) the best, most usable analog joysticks. But no, the circle pad's not loose. It's just...slippery and imprecise--if anything, I feel like I have to press it just a little bit too hard.

Edited on by SwerdMurd

-Swerd Murd

SwerdMurd

@WaveBoy - yeah N64 was miles ahead of the game with that one...there was a ton of throw and it required a pretty firm press (but was well balanced in spite of it). Not that any of that saved Mario Kart 64's playability

And a genuine screw-you to Nintendo for planned obsolescence, even though I should come to expect it these days. Personally I feel the DS-lite was garbage compared to the original DS--looks notwithstanding, that thing was a tank whereas the lite disintegrated in no time. DSi was a bit more solid, but was hideously overpriced ($180!? For what!?!?) and if it weren't for Rytmik I'd consider it an absolute and total waste. Gonna try to stick w/ gen 1 only this time around.

-Swerd Murd

TeeJay

I don't understand where all the complaints about the DS Lite are coming from. I got my Ds Lite second hand, second hand mind you, and about 4 years later it still works fine; no problems. My Dsi's L and R buttons, on the other hand, konked out on me a couple of months later, and I had to send my DSi in to Nintendo to get them fixed. (They got fixed and quickly returned, however, and have been working fine ever since )

Also, $180 for a DSi? I got mine at Toy's R Us for about $140 I believe, and that was after seeing a commercial about it on TV, so it was still new then.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

OrangeSmoothie

@WaveBoy kudos to you if that's what makes you happy, then go for it (:
I'm in college and didn't even think about video games until the semester was over at the end of april, and then I was gonna wait til later to get a 3DS for a similar reason, but I got a little impatient. So now that I have one I'm loving it. I want to get the most use out of it possible for the summer until I have to go back to school and have no time to play video games. It's sad that my 3DS will hardly be touched for 8 months, but it means my summer gets to be packed with enjoying games I missed throughout the fall and winter.

As for the 3DS itself, I don't have any complaints so far. I take very good care of keeping it super clean (I clean the screens with a microfiber cloth all the time and wash my hands before I use it most of the time-maybe a little OCD). Regardless I think it's worth it and I have been enjoying my time with it until E3 and OoT 3D when the fun really begins.

OrangeSmoothie

3DS Friend Code: 0817-3820-9884 | Nintendo Network ID: OrangeSmoothie

Joeynator3000

I want my Paper Mario...wasn't it supposed to be a Launch Window title? T_T

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

komicturtle

BellGoRiiing wrote:

Nope.

komicturtle

kkslider5552000

BellGoRiiing wrote:

No, I have no idea how anyone got the idea that a Paper Mario game wouldn't take a long time to be released. (Super Paper Mario was released like 6 months after the Wii launch despite originally being a GCN game)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Joeynator3000

...Maybe I'm thinking Mario Kart then...

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

SwerdMurd

TeeJay wrote:

I don't understand where all the complaints about the DS Lite are coming from. I got my Ds Lite second hand, second hand mind you, and about 4 years later it still works fine; no problems.

Good for you. Mine shattered like glass despite buying it new at launch. Guess you got lucky, or I got unlucky. Either way, I don't see how that invalidates my comment. My DS-lite was a flimsy piece of crap that self-destructed despite taking extremely good care of it. You should be able to easily see where this comment is "coming from".

TeeJay wrote:

Also, $180 for a DSi? I got mine at Toy's R Us for about $140 I believe, and that was after seeing a commercial about it on TV, so it was still new then.

Retail was $179.99 (I think) and I bought it on launch day. I'm sure some people stole them from people--that doesn't mean the handheld cost 0 dollars. I got my gen 1 PSP barely used for 30 dollars years ago from a friend with a game, carrying case, 3 memory cards, and 2 car chargers--by that logic, PSP is indisputably the best gaming value of all time. Therefore, MSRP is the main point of comparison. Still--congrats for paying closer to what the DSi was worth than I did.

Edited on by SwerdMurd

-Swerd Murd

Raptor78

Kainard wrote:

Do a bit of research. I have seen Amazon, Target and Toys R Us offer deals many times for those complaining about the $40 price tag. This is for those of us in NA. Other countries I don't know what kind of deals you get.

Its the same in the UK where the RRP is £40 NOT $40... anyway, most of the launch titles, with the exception of those dodgy UBIsoft ports are around the half price point with Nintendogs, Pilotwings Resort, Street Fighter 4 & Lego Star Wars 3 being £25, Shadowars & Super Monkey Ball £20 to name a few... the ones that should be marked down, Rayman, Ravin Rabbids 3D and that 3D dinosuar game, etc are still trying to sell for £35 - £39.99 ?!?!? WTF

So yeah, for those that complain about the prices the deals are there if you look for them... oh and I picked up Samurai Warriors for £29, but after playing it I would have been satisfied if I had paid full.

People who had bought launch systems also managed to get good deals with the games in the UK with many shops knocking the price down before launch and adding game deals onto the price... It cost me £180 for a launch Aqua 3DS with Street Fighter 4 which I dont think was a bad launch deal.

3DS Friend Code: 2621 - 2654 - 6355

OnLive Player Tag: Raptor78

Heroes of Ruin online profile -
http://heroesofruin.com/profile/Raptor1978

http://passid.ca/raptor

currently playing: Heroes of Ruin

Nintendo Network ID: Raptor78

rolLTheDice

WaveBoy wrote:

I'll be opening my 3DS the day before E3, and I couldn't be more excited. Experiencing the 3DS for the first time the day or two before E3

Are you sure you know how much there is to do with the 3DS ? And that is even without playing a retail game.
I mean i would start getting into the system about June 1st if i were you. Then you don't have to rush anything and will have a quite good impression of the system before the hopefully exciting E3 show ans the eShop launches. At least that's how i'd do it.
And as i've said in another thread. Prepare for some really strange vision after you've just started to play in 3D and watch the stream in 2D. Don't say i dind't warn you, bro.

WaveBoy wrote:

regarding those mildy wonky hardware issues you're having. Are you honestly suprised? Nintendo plans on making a 3DS lite(or whatever it will be called) and those problems you've mentioned will most likely be history.

I've always been careful not to write this. The 3DS seems very crucial to Nintendo in the way they want 3rd parties to provide quality content for it. And as such i think risking early consumers by having such siginificant design flaws wouldn't be the best idea. They must have been in a tremendous rush to get out the system imo. On the other hand Nintendo always ruled the handheld section except for Japan where the PSP is really gaining momentum . Maybe that could make them a bit arrogant in that department...

Kainard wrote:

Those disappointed what do you expect right now? The system hasn't even been out for 2 months and there is a lot more coming in the summer. Didn't the DS do quite bad when it was first released or do people just conveniently have amnesia? Did everyone think there would be a tremendous amount of quality right in the beginning? No one has any patience these days and there is still good games right now.

Well, i don't know. The DS had Super Mario 64 DS and the Wii was lucky to get Twilight Princess. I guess that's two games that make a big difference to many people here. The higher price of the 3DS drives expectations even higher i would say. Keep in mind i'm only talking game-wise here. And i'm not complaining since games like Ridger Racer 3D, Super Street Fighter IV and PilotWings Resort wouldn't be as good on the DS imho.

Edited on by rolLTheDice

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

komicturtle

@Bell

That either. None of those games (including Animal Crossing 3DS) were never considered or mentioned as a launch window release. Especially those three mentioned.

komicturtle

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.