Forums

Topic: 3DS LL (XL) thread.

Posts 141 to 160 of 594

retired_account

Something to get excited about for people still playing DS games:

The DS lite had 102.56 pixels per inch (ppi). The 3DS, excluding its doubled horizontal pixel density (which is only used for 3D), has 132.15 ppi. So basically, the 3DS crams in more pixels per inch than the DS lite, which is why DS games rendered at their original resolution look smaller on the 3DS.

Welp, after using a nifty calculator, it looks like the 3DS XL has 95.59 ppi. So that means DS games rendered at 1:1 on the 3DS XL will actually be BIGGER than on the DS lite without looking blurry at all. <3

retired_account

Lunartwisted

I still have my 3ds for a year now. I think I should keep it and buy the XL one or sell my 3ds and get the XL.

Lunartwisted

komicturtle

pixelman wrote:

The DS lite had 102.56 pixels per inch (ppi). The 3DS, excluding its doubled horizontal pixel density (which is only used for 3D), has 132.15 ppi. So basically, the 3DS crams in more pixels per inch than the DS lite, which is why DS games rendered at their original resolution look smaller on the 3DS.

Welp, after using a nifty calculator, it looks like the 3DS XL has 95.59 ppi. So that means DS games rendered at 1:1 on the 3DS XL will actually be BIGGER than on the DS lite without looking blurry at all. <3

Dem numbahs. It sounds good. I hope you're right

komicturtle

Ecto-1

Nibelilt wrote:

Well without gloss I'm not a fan of the color silver. I just can't imagine it looking good in matte.

Blue was my second choice anyway, closely followed by white, so it doesn't bother me. It looks kind of like the US Light Blue DSi which I like.

Still weird they don't have a black straight away with the emphasis on it. I'm really anxious to see how these look in person at the moment so I hope EB Games gets some demo models and I can pick from there.

[/div]

Based on the following video, it looks like only the black parts (or the inside of the white one) are matte. The outside appears to be a semi-gloss, not quite as shiny as the standard 3DS, but still somewhat shiny. It kind of reminds me of the way the DSi XL with the gloss on top and matte on the inside.

EDIT: Woops, here is the video I was talking about.

Edited on by Ecto-1

Boo! I'm a ghost.
Check out my Rytmik songs on Youtube
Colors 3D Gallery

3DS Friend Code: 3566-1553-9977 | Nintendo Network ID: ECTO-1989

komicturtle

Well, I heard games on DSi XL look phenomenal. And the 3DS XL will have the same resolution- it'll just be on a bigger screen and there's no stretching. It's like GBA Micro- things did not look pixelated on that screen because it's the same resolution as GBA and GBA SP, except on a smaller screen. I don't know how exactly to explain it in detail, just setting up examples.

komicturtle

Retro_on_theGo

pixelman wrote:

That was the first thing about this console that slightly tempted me.

retired_account

By the way, just remember that the games will still have the black border around them.

I'm really, really excited about this. If the d-pad is soft, noncheap and comfortable, it'll be amazing to get back into some old DS games I need to finish/catch up on.

Edit @Miss_Birdo: The pixels will comparatively stand out quite a bit more. I love the look, personally. If you can take look at a DSi XL's screen vs a regular DSi in person then that'll give you a really good idea of what to expect. Also, if you have a DS lite or normal DSi, then that's pretty close to how big the pixels will actually be (just imagine a bigger screen).

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

Drawdler

@Ecto-1 Thanks for the video! Based on that- it looks like the 3DS XL will be the color on both the top and the bottom, so I think I'll go with blue! It'll look great! Silver just seems to plain to be at the bottom, hahah

@pixelman I hope your math is right and that's the sum Ninty is using because it would finally inspire me to replay Professor Layton! I personally never owned a DSi XL, but I have seen them in person and they look GORGEOUS!

Quick cap of my assumptions from this:
-The Stylus is moved to the right like the DS Lite, DSi and XL. Wireless switch is in the same spot as before and SD Slot is moved to be below it.
-Don't know if I saw this right but was the charger slot moved back to the left side? I kind of liked having it on the right IMO.
-The color of your 3DS XL will be glossy, it will cover both the top and the bottom of the 3DS XL.

Edited on by Drawdler

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

TysonOfTime

I refused to even put a DS game in my 3DS as my DSiXL did them so much more justice, so if this is correct then I will be ecstatic.

You don't die until you're dead!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

Radixxs

Miss_Birdo wrote:

All these revisions? It's just been 2. Unless you mean from the the DS line.

I don't have money for this one, I didn't have money for the DS revisions but got them anyway, and I anticipate at least one more 3DS revision/version.

I've got the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy.
Covers & Korg DS-10 Originals.

DudeSean

I just went from the original DS to the 3DS. I never got any system in between. This, however, I would really like to get. And I think I'll keep the 3DS I have now, since noone else i know has a 3ds, it would be the only way i could ever get anyone to play local multiplayer.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

mamp

I went from a DS to a DSi to a 3DS but back then my bro bought me my systems (Wii and 360 too) cuz he was in Iraq and made loads of money now he can't buy me squat so I can't afford to get a 3DS XL. Doesn't matter though, I don't wanna give up my CPP especially with KH3D coming out, that game looks like it's really gonna need it judging from the demo.

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.