3DS Forum

Topic: 3DS= JRPG Paradise

Showing 1 to 20 of 40

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RogueStatus94

1. Posted:

The games (North America):

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Over-clocked
Tales of the Abyss
Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance
Code of Princess
Etrian Odyssey IV
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Fire Emblem Awakening
Paper Mario Sticker Star
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Soul Hackers
Crimson Shroud
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Pokemon X and Y
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Project X Zone
Fantasy Life
Bravely Default Flying Fairy
and Rune Factory 4

Waiting for localizations on:
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2 and Dragon Quest VII

Do you think the 3DS is considered today's system of choice for JRPG's and will it overcome the DS' prolific portfolio of JRPG titles?

Edited on by RogueStatus94

RogueStatus94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rayword45

2. Posted:

I think it has a chance, provided we get a lot to come. Not sure it can beat the PS3 though.

ATTENTION: Help me not get killed over a stolen camera. Please, I need your money. http://igg.me/at/twelveouncecamera/x/3629997

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RetroGBHippie92

3. Posted:

Europe and Australia only have:
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Over-clocked*
Tales of the Abyss*
Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance
Code of Princess*
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Paper Mario Sticker Star
Crimson Shroud

*Either not officially released in Australia & NZ or in the case of Code of Princess, only on the eShop.

As you can see, our 3DS library doesn't have many JRPGs whatsoever compared to the US, I would import, but the 3DS is region locked and I'm not spending another $300-450 NZD to import a 3DS from America, so If I were Square Enix, Atlus or Nintendo I would hurry up with those titles, it's too bad we have to wait another 1-2 months for Fire Emblem Awakening to come out here and yet I'm not into SPRGs.
I will definitely be buying Mario & Luigi, Pokemon X & Y and the others (if they come out here), but this is ridiculous that we either don't get any RPGs or we have to import from europe, utter ridiculousness really...

There's two games you missed by the way @RogueStatus94, The Denpamen: They Came By Wave is a JRPG and also we're all hopefully getting the sequel this year too, Denpamen 2 is high on my priority list for downloads, loved the heck out of the first game.

My Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB
Currently Playing: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity (3DS) The Denpa Men 2: Beyond The Waves (eShop)
My Backloggery
3DS FC: 2320 6151 3634
Email me at scottharding2005@yahoo.com.au] if you want to join my 3DS buddy list :)

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6151-3634 | Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

4. Posted:

rayword45 wrote:

Not sure it can beat the PS3 though.

Depends on whether you're talking quantity or quality. Either way, the 3DS'll probably win soon...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RogueStatus94

5. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

rayword45 wrote:

Not sure it can beat the PS3 though.

Depends on whether you're talking quantity or quality. Either way, the 3DS'll probably win soon...

PS3 in it's 7 year lifespan had less than the number of JRPG's as 3DS in it's second year. Critical step down from all the JRPG's PS2 had.

Edited on by RogueStatus94

RogueStatus94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

6. Posted:

let's not go into needless hyperbole

Especially since we can't actually play much of these 3DS JRPGs regardless of anything right now.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

7. Posted:

Yeah, The PS3 still has at least 31 JRPGs in the US. Even after this year the list of 3DS JRPGs is still only has 17. Still, at the rate it's going, it'll beat out the PS3 pretty quickly.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

8. Posted:

RogueStatus94 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

rayword45 wrote:

Not sure it can beat the PS3 though.

Depends on whether you're talking quantity or quality. Either way, the 3DS'll probably win soon...

PS3 in it's 7 year lifespan had less than the number of JRPG's as 3DS in it's second year. Critical step down from all the JRPG's PS2 had.

really an unfair comparison and different markets. The PS2 didn't have to deal with an American market that din't care about JRPGS and a Jappan becoming handheld central.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

9. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

RogueStatus94 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

rayword45 wrote:

Not sure it can beat the PS3 though.

Depends on whether you're talking quantity or quality. Either way, the 3DS'll probably win soon...

PS3 in it's 7 year lifespan had less than the number of JRPG's as 3DS in it's second year. Critical step down from all the JRPG's PS2 had.

really an unfair comparison and different markets. The PS2 didn't have to deal with an American market that din't care about JRPGS and a Jappan becoming handheld central.

Understanding the situation doesn't really change that it exists? And he wasn't complaining about it as much as acknowledging it so...

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

10. Posted:

RogueStatus94 wrote:

The games (North America):

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Over-clocked
Tales of the Abyss
Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance
Code of Princess
Etrian Odyssey IV
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Fire Emblem Awakening
Paper Mario Sticker Star
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Soul Hackers
Crimson Shroud
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Pokemon X and Y
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Project X Zone
Fantasy Life
Bravely Default Flying Fairy
Rune Factory 4
The DENPA Men: They Came by Wave
Unchained Blades
Picdun 2: the Witch's Curse

Waiting for localizations on:
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2 and Dragon Quest VII

Added three you forgot.

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Picross e2 (3DS eShop)

Avatar: Happy Independence Day!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jollykarp

11. Posted:

JRPG's are moving towards handheld consoles now, because of lifestyle changes and whatnot. Plus, handhelds now have enough power to reliably run most JRPG franchises. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Vita also ended up becoming an RPG Paradise.

Now I'm just hoping for a 3D Golden Sun.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo
"If I was on the highest cliff, the highest riff
And you slipped off the side and clinched on for your life in my grip
I would never, ever let you down" - J Ivy

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Knux

12. Posted:

The DS, PSP, and PS3 are pretty much the RPG heavens of this ''previous generation'', so I think that their successors will be the same.

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RogueStatus94

13. Posted:

Why are people implying that the PS3 had so many JRPG's? I compiled a list and the number is very low, even with an almost 7 year old lifespan...

RogueStatus94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Peach64

14. Posted:

Half that list either aren't proper RPGs, or aren't very good. I was talking with some friends recently about how what the 3DS really needed was some good RPGs. Compared to the GBA or the DS, there's very few great RPGs on the system.

I'd love to see that rumoured Monolith 3DS game, and I really think Nintendo should consider making an offer to publish that DS version of Ni No Kuni, but as a 3DS game, like they're doing with the 3rd Inazuma Eleven.

Peach64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RetroGBHippie92

15. Posted:

Magikarp wrote:

Now I'm just hoping for a 3D Golden Sun.

Yep me too, having replayed Dark Dawn recently, I am needing a Golden Sun fix. Man I don't know why it didn't sell that well when it originally came out, I still think it's a pretty solid game if you ask me, I give it at least a 8/10.

My Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB
Currently Playing: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity (3DS) The Denpa Men 2: Beyond The Waves (eShop)
My Backloggery
3DS FC: 2320 6151 3634
Email me at scottharding2005@yahoo.com.au] if you want to join my 3DS buddy list :)

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6151-3634 | Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

16. Posted:

RetroGBHippie92 wrote:

Magikarp wrote:

Now I'm just hoping for a 3D Golden Sun.

Yep me too, having replayed Dark Dawn recently, I am needing a Golden Sun fix. Man I don't know why it didn't sell that well when it originally came out, I still think it's a pretty solid game if you ask me, I give it at least a 8/10.

I have a possible explanation, even though I really don't like it. The fanbase stopped caring. I'd assume it was in that sweet spot where the sequel was too late for Golden Sun to still be relevant but too early for it to have any real nostalgia value. Like, Golden Sun used to matter on the internet at least (and the first 2 games did sell quite well IIRC) and yet now it really doesn't seem to be that way in the slightest and Dark Dawn's sales I think were like quarter of a million despite tv ads. A shame really.

Granted, I could also point out it wasn't as good as the previous 2 games but it wasn't enough that that alone would cause fans to not buy it and there wasn't any real backlash against it.

I'd be more angry at it ending at a cliffhanger if it was a particularly compelling cliffhanger.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

17. Posted:

Peach64 wrote:

Half that list either aren't proper RPGs, or aren't very good. I was talking with some friends recently about how what the 3DS really needed was some good RPGs. Compared to the GBA or the DS, there's very few great RPGs on the system.

Mmm yes keep the factual analyses coming please.

Unless you are trying to reverse psycho- (analyze?) more good games into existence... that would be just fine.

Edited on by OptometristLime

CanisWolfred wrote:

Obviously you guys have been watching too much Anime. Maybe Link will photosythesis, too?.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

18. Posted:

Peach64 wrote:

Half that list either aren't proper RPGs, or aren't very good. I was talking with some friends recently about how what the 3DS really needed was some good RPGs. Compared to the GBA or the DS, there's very few great RPGs on the system.

1. When the least liked game in the list is Paper Mario...no.
2. I've seen far worse "RPG" lists. At least no one listed a Zelda.
3. That's because a lot of the RPGs are still in Japan and 3DS had a slow start.

Peach64 wrote:

Nintendo should consider making an offer to publish that DS version of Ni No Kuni, but as a 3DS game

yes

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jaz007

19. Posted:

Paper mario and monster hunter are JRPGs?

I'm gonna try again.
Currently playing: Rune Factory 4 and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuardianKing

20. Posted:

Peach64 wrote:

Nintendo should consider making an offer to publish that DS version of Ni No Kuni, but as a 3DS game

yes

[/quote]

They can't. It's literally impossible to translate the thick spell book (like actual, physical spell book) that came with the game. And before you start whining: yes, you need the physical spell book to progress in-game.

NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital