Forums

Topic: 3DS - iPhone killer?

Posts 21 to 37 of 37

Kid_A

Probably not an iPhone killer--the 3G pretty much secures that. An iTouch killer, though? Maybe, just maybe. I recently purchased an iTouch, and I'm loving it. The DSi may have a greater library of pure games and gaming experiences, but the iTouch wins when it comes to the simple pick-up-and play factor. If the 3DS can improve upon Nintendo's app store--and not just in speed--in price-point as well---it could possibly surpass the iTouch. The thing is, the Apple App store has so many friggin' free apps. The DSiShop? Like three. The prices for the DSiShop are completely ridiculous, especially considering what the App store has going for it. I just bought Real Racing for the iTouch--one of the best racing games I've ever played--for $4. Doodle Jump--one of the most addicting games ever--is only $.99

Maybe the 3DS can turn things around.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Macaronius

The original DS has already maimed the iPhone. The 3DS was made to finish it off.

*Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road
all the way to Dublin, Whack follol de rah!*

drexegar

If the 3ds multilayer is strong as a console, and it will be, and it 3dsware will be open to a lot of companies with extra power, I think that alone with definitely make it an iphone killer for games. But iphone has already claimed territory and done its damage, Nintendo can only get so much from the iphone market, but definitly it will smash whats left of the psp that the DSI cant handle.

Love and laughter are the ultimate powers of the universe.

t3gamenews

pixelman wrote:

iPhone's always connected to the internet, unlike the 3DS. Big difference.

actually Nintendo confirmed that, the 3DS will be able to connect even when not near a hotspot. & that there online will be free.
& theres talk about the 3DS having 3D video chat.
iphone is just a phone tho, NOT a gaming console. why compare 3DS to a phone?

t3gamenews

RoyalBlur

Apple is not at all a gaming company. Nintendo is a special gaming company and Nintendo will never ever be injured by anything Apple does. The 3DS is far superior to the iPad. The games the iPod Touch has are only bite sized cookies compared to the full course meal that Nintendo serves on the DS, DSi and 3DS. Apple has Plants vs Zombies while Nintendo rules with the likes of Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, and Star Fox.

Apple thinks that Zenonia and Hero of Sparta can give Sony and Nintendo a backseat but it can’t, not with Kid Icarus: Uprising and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarinia of Time 64 3D on the way. The iPod Touch is nothing more than a gimmick which won’t last much longer in the face of the Nintendo 3DS.

Trying to compare the iPhone to the Nintendo 3DS is like trying to compare the health quality of a Vegetarian and Environmentally friendly lifestyle like that of James Cameron, Paul McCartney and Al Gore with that of BP’s Tony Hayward and all the other big franks who are killing our poor planet.

Edited on by RoyalBlur

Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant? Isaiah 42:19

My Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/royalusher

3DS FC: 2234-7146-6576

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

almostnacho

TokyoRed wrote:

Apple is not at all a gaming company.

But it sure is planning on becoming one. See, they started with computers, and software, and the original Mac OS. Then, they started to branch out in the general consumer electronics industry but failed miserably, each product having a 2-3 year run. (See Newton, Quicktake, TV Box) They engineered a game system for Bandai at this point, called the Pippin, as well. At the turn of the century, Apple began to try and dominate the personal computer market with its iMac. A few years later, things changed. Apple wanted to revolutionize the way we listen to music by releasing the iPod, which was highly critized for its notable lack of wireless connectivity and amount of memory. The iPod evolved. With a new touchscreen, it became a phone, it became a tablet, but it also became THE Apple handheld device centered around fun. (Watch some iPod touch ads. You'll see.) I know Apple wants dominate the electronic market share, (I'm sure you know, too) and the second-to-last thing it decided to reach was the gaming industry. (The last thing was, of course, tablets. Or oversized phones. I'm still not sure.)
Nintendo has been in the center of video game hardware (and software) for decades now, and they don't want Apple to make them give up that spot.

I'm back with a shiny new 3DS, yay!
FC: 5370-0428-9949
Walker is the best Animal Crossing character ever.

pikku

ProtoZone wrote:

The original DS has already maimed the iPhone. The 3DS was made to finish it off.

pikku

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1165-2008 | Nintendo Network ID: pikmaniac

SpentAllMyTokens

Nintendo has so far to go to match up with the iTouch/iPhone's non gaming functionality that there is no way that the 3DS will "kill" the iPhone. The web browser is leaps and bounds ahead. A calculater is free, not $2. There are apps for just about anything you may need. Doctor/Nurse who needs to check for medicine reactions, currency exchange rates, dictionaries for every possible language, stock tracker, etc. There is nothing that compares to the selection of apps for a variety of work/personal needs on the 3DS. That's not even mentioning the multimedia functions are much more convenient. Who doesn't have itunes that can sync music and videos automatically when you plg it in. You can also sync your calander and email with your computer/web based email program. You can get skype on the iphone too, and i believe the 4g allows video chat. I cannot believe that NIntendo will design a system that is that convenient.

The only advantages the 3DS will have are for gaming and 3D movies. Everything else will be better on iphone.

Edited on by SpentAllMyTokens

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

R-L-A-George

If they have a mobile service available, I hope we have a choice, like U.S. Cellular(if they can improve there signal in most places), because everybody is sick of sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile.......in america U.S. Cellular is going to be the next biggest service?

R-L-A-George

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1459-7893 | Nintendo Network ID: Osaka7524 | Twitter:

shingi_70

t377y000 wrote:

pixelman wrote:

actually Nintendo confirmed that, the 3DS will be able to connect even when not near a hotspot. & that there online will be free.
& theres talk about the 3DS having 3D video chat.
iphone is just a phone tho, NOT a gaming console. why compare 3DS to a phone?

Oddly enough the iphone is a phone that outputs graphics as well as the 3DS and in 2 years will have better graphics and is the all around better product.

i'm getting my 3DS for games but for everything else my idevice kills it.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

RoyalBlur

I'm simply sorry folks. I know some of you want to give the iPod Touch the time of day but I'm here to say that as a reasonable Nintendo fan that I'm willing to admire the iPod Touch and Apple Inc always, however I'll never abandon Nintendo for Apple. I really enjoy and respect Nintendo and I'm determined to stand by the 3DS as I believe this is the dawn of a new era for the Nintendo company.

The iPod Touch and iPad will always have a place in the world I'd like to believe that Nintendo, Sony and Apple Inc can co-exist in our world with out constantly bashing each other up.

Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant? Isaiah 42:19

My Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/royalusher

3DS FC: 2234-7146-6576

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

LordJumpMad

TokyoRed wrote:

The iPod Touch and iPad will always have a place in the world I'd like to believe that Nintendo, Sony and Apple Inc can co-exist in our world with out constantly bashing each other up.

That sound alot like World Peace......

Well after every one kill each other, is the the only way to end this Conflict.... (thats real world peace)

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

kevohki

If the 3DS could be used as a phone maybe but anyone would look like a douche holding something that big and shiny up to their ear.

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

MasterGraveheart

pixelman wrote:

At E3, Nintendo stated that the 3DS would have a mode that it could always connect in it's standby mode (similar to Wii) and that it would gather new information, so I think that's a little premature to say.

...what I'd like to see is, with Pokémon, is the gathering of ghost trainer data and that you download a nearby trainer's lineup to battle against.

MasterGraveheart

3DS Friend Code: 0903-2738-1632 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterGraveheart | Twitter:

HueyPNewton

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. I am huge pokemon fan, almost slightly embarrassed to admit i play competitively (almost). Cant wait to see how the 3ds works with black and white, especially since the US releases will be coming out after/around the same time as the 3ds. Hopefully something will be in the works.

To each his own.

SuperMarioFan96

Very similar to what Token Girl said, the 3DS will not kill the iPhone/iTouch because the iThings have music capabilities, much better internet capabilities, all sorts of apps that have nothing to do with gaming in addition to their games. In the same sense though, the iThings will never kill the 3DS due to its superiority in games.

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

sykotek

I'll be grossly overgeneralizing in just a moment, so brace yourselves people and be prepared to possibly be offended peoples, its opinion time.

Main demographics:
Apple target: non-gamers to ultra-casual/casual gamers
Nintendo target: casual gamers to core gamers

I don't think the 3DS will kill the iPhone gaming market because they're only mildly overlapping in demographics. What I mean by this is that it appeals to different types of gamers. For example: I can think of no examples where anyone I know that has an iPhone or iPad plays games for any extended periods of time compared to their DS or PSP. I think this is primarily because...

Apple focus = mobile phone/web first, music/movies, apps then games
Nintendo focus = games, generational gimmick* then user media

*my meaning of generational gimmick is as follows, but not limited to
DS = 2 Screens/1 Touch/Backward Compatibility
DS Lite = Brighter Screens/Lower Profile
DSi/XL = Camera/Sound Editor/Bigger Screens/DSiWare
3DS = 3D Camera/3DSWare

So yea, those are my reasons for why 3DS will not kill iPhone/Touch/Pad or vice versa. Now with that outta the way, the only thing physically I'd like to see Nintendo adopt from Android/Apple would be a higher resolution, scratch resistant glass touch screen similar to Android/Apple products implemented into the 3DS along with an updated stylus that will work with it. =]

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.