3DS Forum

Topic: 3DS Hardware Question

Showing 1 to 13 of 13

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

1. Posted:

Is the 3DS capable of displaying 3D graphics on both screens? I don't mean the 3D effect, I'm talking about like polygons. I know the original DS could only display 3D on one screen at a time.

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

koryz12

2. Posted:

It will be able to considering it is about as powerful as the wii and it has more ram but I can't think any examples where it does.

Checkout my gaming channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/koryz12
Nintendo direct wii u review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xawsdGO-Jao

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

3. Posted:

i don't think power matters, it's whether it has two video cards capable of 3D.
i'm not sure of that, it's just a guess though

Edited on by Lan

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NintendoFanGuy

4. Posted:

Yea like Kory and Guardian said it should be able to. We should just wait and see

I need a girl whose name doesn't end in .JPG

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

5. Posted:

Seeing as the original DS was capable, this one is too.

The only example I can think of at the moment is a japanese game, 'the game with no name.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bFyk6Cl-gY&feature=player...

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

6. Posted:

are you sure it's not all pre-rendered?

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Rob_mc_1

7. Posted:

I'm pretty sure it is one GPU for all screen. While I'm pretty sure they can display what ever they want on it I don't think they will just because they are different resolutions and have different capability.

♠♦♣

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

8. Posted:

It isn't prerendered. Both screens can display polygons at once. Actually another more common example in the two Zelda games on the DS. A few boss fights take over both screens.

The hardware works for both screens, it just decides which screen gets what. However in the case of the 3DS, obviously only the top screen can display stereoscopic 3D.

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mizore

9. Posted:

GuardianAcorn wrote:

I know the original DS could only display 3D on one screen at a time.

...Wait, what?...
EDIT: Ok, Wobee already pointed it out, lol.

Edited on by Mizore

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
"If I find out that you're lying to me, I will stalk you...then freeze you solid.".

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ImDiggerDan

10. Posted:

wobee wrote:

Seeing as the original DS was capable, this one is too.

The original DS is not capable of rendering 3D on both screens at the same time. A hardware trick you could use allowed you to render 3D to each screen alternately to give the impression it was rendering 3D on both screens, but it was just that - a trick. You lose half your texture memory using it and the maximum frame rate you could get on either screen was 30fps.

Don't have a clue about the 3DS, but I suspect that it would be possible to use the 3DS 3D hardware on the top screen and the old DS 3D hardware for the bottom screen at the same time.

Author of Digger Dan DSiWare.
Coming very soon to Nintendo 3DS via the eShop.
www.diggerdan.co.uk

Twitter: MickW8s

AuthorMessage
Avatar

jerryo

11. Posted:

3ds can do.

jerryo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Samholy

12. Posted:

i dont know, and dont see why i couldnt.

i mean, every video card can support multiple screens now, it would be weird that handheld videocard dont support yet mutli-display too.

currently playing:
Final Fantasy IV DS
Ratchet and clank All4One
3DS : Sam : 3050-7590-3005

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

13. Posted:

ImDiggerDan wrote:

wobee wrote:

Seeing as the original DS was capable, this one is too.

The original DS is not capable of rendering 3D on both screens at the same time. A hardware trick you could use allowed you to render 3D to each screen alternately to give the impression it was rendering 3D on both screens, but it was just that - a trick. You lose half your texture memory using it and the maximum frame rate you could get on either screen was 30fps.

Don't have a clue about the 3DS, but I suspect that it would be possible to use the 3DS 3D hardware on the top screen and the old DS 3D hardware for the bottom screen at the same time.

I don't think the original poster is really talking about technicalities like that... more just if a DS could display 3D on the top and bottom at once. Which as proven in games, it is functionally capable.

Edited on by willobee

NNID: willobee