3DS Forum

Topic: 3DS Dominance

Showing 1 to 20 of 34

AuthorMessage
Avatar

billychaos

1. Posted:

The 3DS is dominating the handheld market despite of a rough start. The direct competitor, Sony Vita has been named one of the biggest flops of 2012 according to an article on Market Watch (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-8-biggest-product-flops-of-the-year-2012-12-28). One thing about Nintendo handhelds is that they have always dominated the competition since the release of the original Gameboy.

billychaos

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

2. Posted:

That mostly goes for Japan though. It's not doing anywhere near as good in EU or NA.

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rayword45

3. Posted:

Is it really dominating compared to Apple devices?

I mean, they do generally aim for different crowds, and it's still kicking the crap out of the Vita, but I wouldn't call it a runaway success.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

4. Posted:

Does look a bit like a one horse race again handheld wise which was pretty much always the case apart from with DS/PSP, console market could get a bit crowded though with sony and microsoft likely to bring their next gen systems out next year, than ouya and valve entering the console market in their own way too.

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GarchompPit

5. Posted:

Well the smartphones are all about casual games.I cant imagine myself playing a game like super mario,street fighter or an open world rpg on a touchscreen all the time!So now,on EU and NA dominates the casual and free gaming opinion but i dont think console and handheld gaming are dead but they having a bad time for now
because of smartphones.

3DS Friendcode: 2879-0741-6723
Name: Pikachu
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGarchompPit
Latest Video: Diggesby: In-Depth analysis video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9BrUc6poW0

Twitter: GarchompPit

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Birdman

6. Posted:

Depends on how you look at it and who you put to compete against the 3DS. In terms of pure handheld gaming devices, 3DS is definitely whipping the Vita (and that NeoGeo pocket handheld is more collector's oddity than competition), but when you factor in smartphones, that's where it gets much grayer, since you need to consider things like what/who constitutes gaming on a smartphone and profitability as a success factor and things of that nature.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SkywardLink98

7. Posted:

I'm not going to compare the 3DS to Apple devices as the markets are fairly different. I've never seen someone playing a Vita, but I have 50 people in my Streetpass Plaza so I guess the 3DS is dominating here in the states.

There are no stupid questions, except for the ones that are.
Bergmite, Piloswine and Snover safari.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

8. Posted:

The only VITA I have seen sits in a dark corner at JB HiFi feeling very unloved ;) I actually felt sorry for it one day so I had a go of the racing car game that practically steers itself around corners while you hold down the gas :P bleh!

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gioku

9. Posted:

I've actually seen people with 3DS's, many times, actually; while I've never seen anyone with a PS Vita.

And, something else I've observed:
The demo Vita's that I've seen always seem to be in mint condition; especially when compared to demo 3DS's. I have no idea what people do to those poor things...

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Barbiegurl777

10. Posted:

Gioku wrote:

I've actually seen people with 3DS's, many times, actually; while I've never seen anyone with a PS Vita.

And, something else I've observed:
The demo Vita's that I've seen always seem to be in mint condition; especially when compared to demo 3DS's. I have no idea what people do to those poor things...

@Gioku

Yeah I agree last year right after christmas like early jan when we went shopping at a furniture store I saw at least 4 people with a 3ds but zero with a ps vita. :)

Which is good. ;)

@19Robb92,

Yeah I know I wish the 3ds was doing alot more better in NA & EU than what it has been as far as people playing it goes. I'd like to get more streetpass tags personally. ;)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Matthew 5:1-12 The Beatitudes (NIV)
Rugrats777 Blog - Discontinued
Colors 3D! My Gallery
MoshiMe: ymmas626
Miiverse: barbiegurl777
Style Savvy Shop Code: B49V44Y38
My Dream Code: 5600-2112-8544
My 3DS Name: Rugrats777

3DS Friend Code: 3480-2549-1588 | Nintendo Network ID: barbiegurl777 | Twitter: rugrats777

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gioku

11. Posted:

Barbiegurl777 wrote:

Yeah I know I wish the 3ds was doing alot more better in NA & EU than what it has been as far as people playing it goes. I'd like to get more streetpass tags personally. ;)

It seems to be doing fine where I live... I get a lot of random streetpasses, plus people who go to my school... but it may be selling differently elsewhere.

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

12. Posted:

I've seen people playing games on a dedicated handheld maybe 10 times in my entire life. I guess the entire game industry is doing pooly. :P

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

13. Posted:

When I go places I just whip out my 3DS and start playing with it in public, I'm not ashamed, it's human nature and I get a lot of enjoyment outta it

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FOREST_RANGER

14. Posted:

It's not too surprising at this point. Really, I hope the PS VITA does better soon. There just doesn't seem to be a market for console gaming on the go...at least, not at the moment.

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rayword45

15. Posted:

I've been mocked by people at school. I usually tell them about how I"m a gamer, and iOS crap isn't cutting it for me (they're talking about Angry Birds). Doen't do much, so I either go whatever or fling some cheap insult about their stupidity or their promiscuity if I particularly dislike them. Though it did work with one kid who had a Vita, who understood the "play what you want" idea.l

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WildMan

16. Posted:

Gioku wrote:

I've actually seen people with 3DS's, many times, actually; while I've never seen anyone with a PS Vita.

And, something else I've observed:
The demo Vita's that I've seen always seem to be in mint condition; especially when compared to demo 3DS's. I have no idea what people do to those poor things...

This. Before I graduated from high school last year, I got like 5 streetpasses a day out of a school with about 350 students. I never saw a Vita..

Mmm Chicken

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CrispyGoomba

17. Posted:

Alright, as most of us know, the 3DS is dominating in Japan. It has sold over 9 million 3DS's and only a little bit over 1 million Vita's. And something that might surprise you guys is that in North America, the 3DS is kicking ass and taking names as well. 3DS: 7.1 million. Vita: 1.1 million. Lastly, we have Europe. 3DS: 6.7 million. Vita: 1.2 million.

So globally, the 3DS has sold 25.2 million and the Vita has sold 3.7 million. I would say that there's nothing to worry about for now. Oh, and if you want my sources, here they are (Look at the top chart on the right, and if you want to break it down to specific areas, well...you'll see it):
http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41259/Global/

CrispyGoomba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

18. Posted:

I do like how Nintendo fanboys went from "give it time, the console will take off" to "hahaha the Vita sucks and is failed because it isn't selling good" in the span of a couple of months.

4 million sales for any toy is actually pretty decent. The PSP and PS3 took a while to take off too, and both consoles ended up strong rivals to Nintendo (and in the PSP case, outselling the 3DS and DS combined in Japan for a time).

It's absolutely amazing how selective people can be with data sometimes. Don't even get me started on how sales figures apparently no longer matter when comparing iOS and Android to 3DS, despite iOS alone outselling the 3DS at a 4:1 ratio or somesuch. But nah, while Vita vs 3DS sales comparison is apparently valid, 3DS to iOS sales don't count for anything. The only game them iPads play is Cranky Birdies or something, innit?

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CrispyGoomba

19. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

I do like how Nintendo fanboys went from "give it time, the console will take off" to "hahaha the Vita sucks and is failed because it isn't selling good" in the span of a couple of months.

4 million sales for any toy is actually pretty decent. The PSP and PS3 took a while to take off too, and both consoles ended up strong rivals to Nintendo (and in the PSP case, outselling the 3DS and DS combined in Japan for a time).

It's absolutely amazing how selective people can be with data sometimes.

If you're referring to me, then let me at least defend myself. I only stated numbers and said the obvious. Nothing else was mentioned including anything with the words "haha Vita sucks" or "Nintendo da best". So I suggest you take your comment and shove it back in your profile picture because you sir are the selective one here. And sure, 4 million units sold is great, but if you can't beat or even come close to your rivals, then it's a lost battle. GG.

EDIT: Well, seems like you got an edit off. The reason why people compare 3DS and Vita together is because they are direct competition. Apple and other iOS companies are indirect competition. If you don't know what those words mean, then I do believe we're done here.

Edited on by CrispyGoomba

CrispyGoomba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

20. Posted:

CrispyGoomba wrote:

Bankai wrote:

I do like how Nintendo fanboys went from "give it time, the console will take off" to "hahaha the Vita sucks and is failed because it isn't selling good" in the span of a couple of months.

4 million sales for any toy is actually pretty decent. The PSP and PS3 took a while to take off too, and both consoles ended up strong rivals to Nintendo (and in the PSP case, outselling the 3DS and DS combined in Japan for a time).

It's absolutely amazing how selective people can be with data sometimes.

If you're referring to me, then let me at least defend myself. I only stated numbers and said the obvious. Nothing else was mentioned including anything with the words "haha Vita sucks" or "Nintendo da best". So I suggest you take your comment and shove it back in your profile picture because you sir are the selective one here. And sure, 4 million units sold is great, but if you can't beat or even come close to your rivals, then it's a lost battle. GG.

EDIT: Well, seems like you got an edit off. The reason why people compare 3DS and Vita together is because they are direct competition. Apple and other iOS companies are indirect competition. If you don't know what those words mean, then I do believe we're done here.

Would bet my house that you never said "the 3DS is a lost battle" when the flipping PSP was outselling it.

And I suggest you look again at the iOS market. Square Enix, EA, Activision, Namco Bandai, and 95% of the indie development community are all putting more sources into making proper (ie not $0.99 apps) iOS games than 3DS ones. That, lad, is direct competition from the point of view of the ones, you know, making the games.

Thanks for proving my point, through.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)